Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So what are you saying? we should buy 'proven' players like Sanchez, Fred, Seri, Wilshere ... proven players who in fact aren't worth a bean ...

Buying the best young players is exactly what's needed ... in case you've missed it Man City have

Jesus - signed at 19 - 28m
Sane - signed at 20 - 45m
Sterling - signed at 21 - 57m
Silva - signed at 22 - 45m

How's that working out for them?

Sure we need a balance - experienced CB, experienced DM, experienced FB - but don't crap on the youth .... one bad season doesn't make him a bad player, Sterling would be well fecked if that was the case ...

3 of 4 of those I knew about and had seen play; they were all further in their development than Ryan. All for buying young talent and will support the lad if he comes here, but I wouldn't put him on par with those names. He might cost that though, which kind of sours it a bit...thanks 🤪

3 of 4 of those I knew about and had seen play; they were all further in their development than Ryan. All for buying young talent and will support the lad if he comes here, but I wouldn't put him on par with those names. He might cost that though, which kind of sours it a bit...thanks 🤪

Make you right, all those players did not just walk into the City starting eleven, they still don't ... you could argue that good as they are a couple are still just back-ups ... Sane has 10 goals and 10 assists but he's only played 1867 minutes, Jesus 7 goals 3 assist just 1022 minutes ... the joy of being backed by a feckin' country.

Whilst it's not clear if Ryan would add strength to our starting eleven, he would certainly add depth to our squad probably for the next five years, and isn't that what we need?

It's hard to spend 200m on squad players, in fact for sure we won't, but we must start somewhere, spending 25m, 35m, 45m on adding depth to our squad if we want to compete for trophies it's a must, for me if we can get him, Ryan is a great start to that process.

Sessegnon belongs to the same agency as Harry. Can only help I guess
:pochsmirk:

A few other names they manage are Zaha, Brooks, Wilson, Lascelles

I still think Poch will try and convince he club to do a deal for Zaha. Just a feeling that he is exactly what Poch wants. However will the board agree :levystare:

to two further years of his 11m a year salary ... no way will do that ...
Ive never really understood this, why footballers can walk around and take their wages with them.

That’s his salary and contract at Real Madrid.
Why should it be the same if he moves?

If someone joins another company they might get less wages. It’s normal.

The best thing about the Sessegnon rumours is how the articles talk of him signing to work with Poch due to his ability to improve players.

Then the next articles talks about Poch leaving after the final!

#numpties

Ive never really understood this, why footballers can walk around and take their wages with them.

That’s his salary and contract at Real Madrid.
Why should it be the same if he moves?

If someone joins another company they might get less wages. It’s normal.

They might, but why should they? ... Would you change jobs on a massive pay cut when you can just sit back do nothing and still keep getting paid ... being under contract is different from being simply PAYE, can't blame the player it's whoever wrote the contract that's the mug. The only other option RM have is to actually pay Bale to leave them ...

Ergo we sing him for 20m and pay him 10m a year in wages .... RM pay him 20m to cancel his contract ...

That gets him off their books for nothing, saving them three years wages ... we get him for 20m + 30m in wages over the next three years ... he gets 30m in salary from us and 20m from RM ... so that's his three year 50m covered ... it's doable just depends on how bad RM want rid because they will in effect get nothing ....

They might, but why should they? ... Would you change jobs on a massive pay cut when you can just sit back do nothing and still keep getting paid ... being under contract is different from being simply PAYE, can't blame the player it's whoever wrote the contract that's the mug. The only other option RM have is to actually pay Bale to leave them ...

Ergo we sing him for 20m and pay him 10m a year in wages .... RM pay him 20m to cancel his contract ...

That gets him off their books for nothing, saving them three years wages ... we get him for 20m + 30m in wages over the next three years ... he gets 30m in salary from us and 20m from RM ... so that's his three year 50m covered ... it's doable just depends on how bad RM want rid because they will in effect get nothing ....

But you cant compare going from 250K a week to 120K a week in the same light as going from 3k a month to 1k a month

These people have tens of millions of pounds in the bank and their new “paltry” wage will still give them 1M a year.
They should want to play football, not sit on benches.

How much has Bale played due to injury?
But he shouldn’t take a wage cut?

Last edited:
But you cant compare going from 250K a week to 120K a week in the same light as going from 3k a month to 1k a month

These people have tens of millions of pounds in the bank and their new “paltry” wage will still give them 1M a year.

As you suggest, it’s all down to whether or not he wants to play. If he’s bored of the game, he’ll see out his contract on the golf course. If he wants to pay, he will take a cut.

I think Bale would rather play golf.

100% agree.

Fcuk me the argument for footballers 'needing' to be secure for life or having to have Champions League football has been shot to pieces in the last decade.

Whether it be the players or their agents it is unedifying and bordering on the disgusting having to hear how much a player must get or that a pay cut is beneath them.

I think it is accepted entirely that our model has to and is changing but that should not mean we are held to ransom for the mere sake if it.

Always always perspective. No longer can we be Scrooge-like but neither can we be the Bill Gates of the football world and even that comes with pre-conditions.

Make you right, all those players did not just walk into the City starting eleven, they still don't ... you could argue that good as they are a couple are still just back-ups ... Sane has 10 goals and 10 assists but he's only played 1867 minutes, Jesus 7 goals 3 assist just 1022 minutes ... the joy of being backed by a feckin' country.

Whilst it's not clear if Ryan would add strength to our starting eleven, he would certainly add depth to our squad probably for the next five years, and isn't that what we need?

It's hard to spend 200m on squad players, in fact for sure we won't, but we must start somewhere, spending 25m, 35m, 45m on adding depth to our squad if we want to compete for trophies it's a must, for me if we can get him, Ryan is a great start to that process.
Getting Sessegnon in would create dept and in 3 positions. He can rotate at both as left back/wingback and as a winger, which would give Rose and Ben a chance to rest. And it also allows Ben to slot in at left centreback and give Jan a rest here and there.

He's also 19 so he is a signing we can afford to be a bit patient with should he come over.

For me you have to take bale on loan if reported hes been offered to us. Behind messi and Ronaldo hes one best players in the world. I rate him probably 4th behind mbappe and ahead of neymar. Son moura kane bale sends out shockwaves. Bale back home where he is loved will see him back to his best, just look at what he does for Wales when he is loved. World class signing, then sign likes of Gomes sessengon tielmans for quality depth

For me you have to take bale on loan if reported hes been offered to us. Behind messi and Ronaldo hes one best players in the world. I rate him probably 4th behind mbappe and ahead of neymar. Son moura kane bale sends out shockwaves. Bale back home where he is loved will see him back to his best, just look at what he does for Wales when he is loved. World class signing, then sign likes of Gomes sessengon tielmans for quality depth
I would take bale on loan, but with an OPTION to buy not with the promise to buy.

Him having to prove himself is actually a scary prospect for any other team in the prem. however the money he would cost seems ludicrous even for just a loan deal. Can’t see it happening.

Awesome player when fit, sadly I think he will end up going the way of dembele and looking for a final pay day abroad, we should be looking to find the next bale if we want to progress

From what I understand they also want us to front half his paycheck. So roughly 300k a week.

For a proven world class player 300 K and revenue streams we now have with the stadium its peanuts. If we signed bale can you imagine the intent it would show. This season has shown we need world class game changer. Levy can get to 300K through various bonuses, wouldn't have to be 300k net like kane gets. Zaha cant lace bales boots

Back
Top Bottom