Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just goes to show that a huge lump of money doesn't guarantee that it'll make our first XI any stronger than it is at the moment. How much were they after for him? Rumoured c£60m or something like that?

Jorginio... Kovacic... Keita... Fred... Bakayoko...

Haven't pretty much every big money CM entering the EPL over the last 18 months bombed?

Has Fabiniho stepped up yet? ...Last time i saw him he was on the fringes or playing CB.

Haven't pretty much every big money CM entering the EPL over the last 18 months bombed?

Has Fabiniho stepped up yet? ...Last time i saw him he was on the fringes or playing CB.

When you stack up the amount of silly money flops the league has had over the last couple of seasons it really is pretty telling as to why we haven't bent over backwards to bring anyone in.

People say our scouting network are poor, maybe it's the complete opposite and they know the players worth & when the clubs being mugged off etc

Torreira probably one of the only midfielders who hasn't.

Can't pretend to know, but was his signing deemed as a 'dead cert' or more of a 'punt'?

Well he was excellent at Sampdoria - his kind don't tend to flop in this division. I'd say he's probably been signing of the season. Though that could also be a sad indictment of how poorly signings have fared this season.

Nice little player but I think the real find was Guendouzi, I think he'll turn out to be top class (unfortunately)

Not really convinced by Guendouzi - I think it's an aesthetic thing that makes him seem better then he actually is. Not really seen him dominate a game. Compared to say Declan Rice, who is the same age, who dominated Liverpool just a few days ago.

Well he was excellent at Sampdoria - his kind don't tend to flop in this division. I'd say he's probably been signing of the season. Though that could also be a sad indictment of how poorly signings have fared this season.

Not really convinced by Guendouzi - I think it's an aesthetic thing that makes him seem better then he actually is. Not really seen him dominate a game. Compared to say Declan Rice, who is the same age, who dominated Liverpool just a few days ago.

At 19 he has a lot of potential. I reckon he'd fit the Pochettino mould more than Torreira due to his physique etc. Poch does love a big boy

...Indeed. Saw an "Allison's form is slipping" article this morning. :levywhoa:

It's predicted revenue but as TV growth is fairly static shows a huge increase for own growth, the last year at a reduced capacity WHL saw £26m (25%) increase in wages indicating our non TV revenue out paced wage growth, with Wembley and a deeper cup run you would expect revenue to grow substantially meaning a larger than the £7m cap.
Analyzing Spurs' latest financial report

All guess work until the accounts are released but an educated guess is we are not restricted to buying anyone due to stcc. Woolwich have been static or reducing meaning that they are

Agreed its conjecture atm.

Most of our major players got big pay increases and longer term contracts circa 18 months ago, before we quit WHL - IMO trying to tie the players down so they couldn't easily move whilst Spurs were at Wembley so the increases needed to be big to ensure that - and our biggest stars such as Kane and Dele will have gone from relatively peanuts in the 2013 base year to maybe £200k (£10m pa) and £180k (£9m pa) respectively (providing the team hits its objectives etc as player contracts have a heavy results based element) and importantly have included all the major players in the squad (except a few eg Eriksen who didn't sign) so IMO the wages increases will be significantly above what we've done previously .

Without any data its impossible to be sure where we are but with Woolwich showing financial problems in the TW (despite otherwise looking financially strong) its sensible to be aware we could be 'nudging' similar issues.

Just goes to show that a huge lump of money doesn't guarantee that it'll make our first XI any stronger than it is at the moment. How much were they after for him? Rumoured c£60m or something like that?

Another example being Pulsic signed for a rumoured £54m by Chelsea - reason he's available is he has been usurped from the Dortmund team by Jadon Sancho who couldn't get a game at Man City. I don't think Pulsic or Sancho would be first teamers for Spurs (with Dele, Eriksen and Son as AM's) although I'd certainly have Sancho on my bench (ie as a squad player) given the choice.

Another example being Pulsic signed for a rumoured £54m by Chelsea - reason he's available is he has been usurped from the Dortmund team by Jadon Sancho who couldn't get a game at Man City. I don't think Pulsic or Sancho would be first teamers for Spurs (with Dele, Eriksen and Son as AM's) although I'd certainly have Sancho on my bench (ie as a squad player) given the choice.

If Eriksen leaves I'd pay whatever it takes to get Sancho. Obviously not a direct replacement but he is a superstar in the making, the kind of trickery and skill in attack we need. We won't be able to get a player like Eriksen so anyway Poch will have to change things in the attacking third

Agreed its conjecture atm.

Most of our major players got big pay increases and longer term contracts circa 18 months ago, before we quit WHL - IMO trying to tie the players down so they couldn't easily move whilst Spurs were at Wembley so the increases needed to be big to ensure that - and our biggest stars such as Kane and Dele will have gone from relatively peanuts in the 2013 base year to maybe £200k (£10m pa) and £180k (£9m pa) respectively (providing the team hits its objectives etc as player contracts have a heavy results based element) and importantly have included all the major players in the squad (except a few eg Eriksen who didn't sign) so IMO the wages increases will be significantly above what we've done previously .

Without any data its impossible to be sure where we are but with Woolwich showing financial problems in the TW (despite otherwise looking financially strong) its sensible to be aware we could be 'nudging' similar issues.
I agree we need to be aware but I doubt it prevented us this window. Those headline figures can be halved as it's around double what they were on previously.

Declan and Guendouzi are different players IMO. Guendouzi should be more Winks and just let Torriera do the mopping up. He is also young. He will be a very solid player for a long time IMO. Rice has been nice and is very composed on the ball.

Anyone think transfer fees have peaked ?

I can't see the next 200m player anywhere .... maybe possibly the French kid again if he moved on

But coutinho for near 150m ?? I mean that literally looks like 100% more than what he's worth

And media talk of hazard and Eriksen now in the 70-90m fees

Contract time remaining had bearing of course

Aren't the German press of the mind that Dortmund have robbed chelscum for their 60m.... I thought the way he was lauded on this forum made that figure appear reasonable

And de Jong. Considered the best young midfielder in Europe 'only' 65m when they bought the last big thing dembele for a straight 100m a couple seasons back

China of course have had their wings clipped ... can't see many more Oscars going for 70m

And this winter window was so poorly traded even Sky couldn't spin it

I think this might be another consideration for our attitude in transfer market. We are trying to find value in a market that is signalling it's over inflated and we are reticent to drop strong money on what may prove to be artificial prices.

Pool were given a free shot due to them being a main beneficiary of that price spike (coutinho) so could with some confidence 'overpay' for the players they targeted.

Man U can afford to take a hit on a number of poorly timed purchases should there be any correction.

City of course can and are one of the leading contributors to this possible over heating

I actually reason it's a further contribution to why the goons have suffered. All their potential big money stars were able to run their contracts down right in the heat of the big money merry go round getting next to nothing for Sanchez and Ozil being compounded further by his wage negotiations taking place in this bull run

And that leaves us. Trying to improve our already excellent squad but without the resources requisite to absorb any reasonable correction should we purchase badly.

I just don't think we've been prepared to gamble

We will purchase again in the summer I'm sure but it'll be interesting where we go in at

Anyone think transfer fees have peaked ?

I can't see the next 200m player anywhere .... maybe possibly the French kid again if he moved on

But coutinho for near 150m ?? I mean that literally looks like 100% more than what he's worth

And media talk of hazard and Eriksen now in the 70-90m fees

Contract time remaining had bearing of course

Aren't the German press of the mind that Dortmund have robbed chelscum for their 60m.... I thought the way he was lauded on this forum made that figure appear reasonable

And de Jong. Considered the best young midfielder in Europe 'only' 65m when they bought the last big thing dembele for a straight 100m a couple seasons back

China of course have had their wings clipped ... can't see many more Oscars going for 70m

And this winter window was so poorly traded even Sky couldn't spin it

I think this might be another consideration for our attitude in transfer market. We are trying to find value in a market that is signalling it's over inflated and we are reticent to drop strong money on what may prove to be artificial prices.

Pool were given a free shot due to them being a main beneficiary of that price spike (coutinho) so could with some confidence 'overpay' for the players they targeted.

Man U can afford to take a hit on a number of poorly timed purchases should there be any correction.

City of course can and are one of the leading contributors to this possible over heating

I actually reason it's a further contribution to why the goons have suffered. All their potential big money stars were able to run their contracts down right in the heat of the big money merry go round getting next to nothing for Sanchez and Ozil being compounded further by his wage negotiations taking place in this bull run

And that leaves us. Trying to improve our already excellent squad but without the resources requisite to absorb any reasonable correction should we purchase badly.

I just don't think we've been prepared to gamble

We will purchase again in the summer I'm sure but it'll be interesting where we go in at

Kane, Salah, KdB, Sane, Kante all probably 100m+ if they were available .... Dele can't be far off 100m just because he's only 22 ....

As for Woolwich, their problem was a manager who somehow convinced the club that transfer fees were dying and that all players would run down contracts ...

Wenger says that high fees will increase the likelihood of players running down their contracts and then leaving clubs on free transfers. Both Chilean Alexis Sanchez and German Mesut Ozil are in the final year of their Woolwich contracts. With the amount of transfer levels and the expected amount of contracts the players want, you will have more and more players going into the final year of their contract, You will be in a position where you either extend for money you cannot afford or you go into the final year of their contract. So what happens? The club cannot sell and doesn't extend the contract, so more and more players are going into the final year."

So far he couldn't have been more wrong ... clubs are moving heaven and earth to extend player contracts and add in massive buy-out clauses ... it's such a shame he screwed the gooners so badly NOT

Back
Top Bottom