Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So Bale, half his wages paid and €40m for Eriksen.

They can use the other half of Bale’s wages to pay Eriksen.

:baletroll:

Surely CE is worth more than 40m in a 'swap' deal..... ?

....To that point, wasn't 80m our starting price?:levystare:

...Whilst you've opted for the 'dick' path. Well done you.

No, I didn't choose it, I just started jogging along it with some sanctimonious twit who decided instead of discussing whether we need CB's or not, decided to lecture me about the net worth of shooting the breeze about Spurs shit on a Spurs forum and it's ramifications on the "world scenario".

Within the context of the conversation we were having, your or my opinion on Dier means nothing.... I'm humble enough to accept this, evidently you're not. Why so precious, Mr Expert?

I'm also "humble" enough to understand my opinions expressed on here aren't going to influence club policy, did you really think you needed to tell me this? That's not why I'm here personally, it's just to discuss it with other fans. Does your humbleness prevent you from ever expressing an opinion?

No, I didn't choose it, I just started jogging along it with some sanctimonious twit who decided instead of discussing whether we need CB's or not, decided to lecture me about the net worth of shooting the breeze about Spurs shit on a Spurs forum and it's ramifications on the "world scenario".

:avbshit:

Nope..... You're just whole-heartedly charging down the dick path at this point.

Nothing sanctimonious about the point i put to you.... (which I repeat below)

I'm also "humble" enough to understand my opinions expressed on here aren't going to influence club policy, did you really think you needed to tell me this? That's not why I'm here personally, it's just to discuss it with other fans. Does your humbleness prevent you from ever expressing an opinion?

Again, I remind you, my only true contradiction was that our interest in Salibe WOULDN'T compromise other areas.... (I'd suggest THIS was an "opinion", rather that concrete fact, no?)

You seem needlessly offended about all this.

Like I also already said, if our interest is indeed legit, then IMO it's fairly obvious that the club disagrees with your view on our current abundence of RCBs.

(Personally, which means little in this instance, I'm backing Dav to make it... The rest have it all to prove.)

Last edited:
At the risk of inspiring more Opinion protocol wrath from Airfixx Airfixx I hope we aren't entertaining the notion of spending 50-60m - regardless of there payment structure, including if it's a part-ex for Eriksen - for a 29yo Bale. Great wide forward in his prime, he's not in his prime, he's lazy without the ball, and I'd much rather we built a "team" that works together, fits the original Poch ethos, rather than bring in a "big star galactico ego" that might fuck up the group.

Spend that money on someone to play as an 8, like Lo Celso, but if we were going to spend big money on a forward there are players like Pepe I'd rather go for, younger, hungrier and with decent team ethic too.

Have you seen the women in Rome???

Whatever rocks your boat....or even sinks it...

32D3A99500000578-0-image-m-2_1459756434008.jpg

Toby's scenario is very odd, he has been our best CB defender together with Vert, he has always given 100% commitment and shown motivation, guts and passion for the club. But yet his future is in the air, weird.

He's just pure greed.

Leaving a Champions League Club to play for a club that isn't even a threat in there own league.

At the risk of inspiring more Opinion protocol wrath from Airfixx Airfixx I hope we aren't entertaining the notion of spending 50-60m - regardless of there payment structure, including if it's a part-ex for Eriksen - for a 29yo Bale. Great wide forward in his prime, he's not in his prime, he's lazy without the ball, and I'd much rather we built a "team" that works together, fits the original Poch ethos, rather than bring in a "big star galactico ego" that might fuck up the group.

I agree... Dick.

Like I also already said, if our interest is indeed legit, then IMO it's fairly obvious that the club disagrees with your view on our current dearth of RCBs.

(Personally, which means little in this instance, I'm backing Dav to make it... The rest have it all to prove.)

They may disagree with me, but the club don't always get it right in the transfer/recruitment field do they, hence us spending three windows trying to shift a fair few, which leaves scope for alternative views, no?

I'd take Sanchez's chances over Foyth's too.

I think Dier, if he put his mind to it, could be the closest thing to Alderwiereld out there, similar qualities, robust but time in CM (like TA got at AM occasionally) should improve his reading and playing out, can ping a ball occasionally, and if anything, he's actually ahead of where TA was in the career trajectory at similar stages, which is possibly why TA ended up on loan at a mid table PL club.

But he's got to stop deluding himself that's he's ever going to be Busquets, in my very humblist of opinions.

They may disagree with me, but the club don't always get it right in the transfer/recruitment field do they, hence us spending three windows trying to shift a fair few, which leaves scope for alternative views, no?

I'd take Sanchez's chances over Foyth's too.

(Cool.... You've chilled out a bit.... Hopefully you can drop this whacked out notion that I suggested there's no place for opinion. I didn't. It's simply that in some scenarios, opinion count for little or nothing.)

Again, central to my input was this idea that interest in a CB would directly hamper our recruitment efforts in other areas; which is less about what you or I think of who's already on the books, but let's move on....

I think Dier, if he put his mind to it, could be the closest thing to Alderwiereld out there, similar qualities, robust but time in CM should improve his reading and playing out, can ping a ball occasionally, and if anything, he's actually ahead of where TA was in the career trajectory at similar stages, which is possibly why TA ended up on loan at a mid table PL club.

But he's got to stop deluding himself that's he's ever going to be Busquets, in my very humblist of opinions.

As for Dier, I just recall him being equally lambasted for brain farts as a CB as he has received as a DM.... Potentially, we may have screwed his development by thrusting a utility man role upon him (which is where my rhetorical speculation about his sale came from).

If Toby leaves and without replacement then Poch will never play 3 at the back, neither Foyth or Dier are good enough but tbh we need to be ambitious and buy a CB if he goes.

It’s getting a bit late and worrying, still Toby and CE not sorted with just of 3 weeks left for the TW.

This bale offer might well be true but I can’t see him agreeing to coming back. We where a stepping stone for him and nothing else

We are not the mid-table, punching above our weight club that we have always been.

Although we don't have the history of success, its clear that we have now moved into a new era at Spurs. We are not yet as desirable as the 'top clubs' with history such as Barca, Madrid, Liverpool, United or the money clubs in City and maybe PSG - but we are sure in the same league now as Athletico, and Juventus and it is clear that we are now a more desirable club than Chelsea, Milan and Woolwich.

Its certainly not far fetch for Bale to return and its clear to me that with Bale in our squad next season that would make us heavy favourites for a Trophy and top 4....and even another push for the champions league.

Image rights, new stadium sponsor yet to be announced, US market exposure through NFL - all pointing to us having some very deep pockets.

If Toby leaves and without replacement then Poch will never play 3 at the back, neither Foyth or Dier are good enough but tbh we need to be ambitious and buy a CB if he goes.

It’s getting a bit late and worrying, still Toby and CE not sorted with just of 3 weeks left for the TW.

If Toby leaves we MUST get a replacement.

Sanchez - looked good and we had an excellent record in 17/18 season.
Jan - 32 years old and recurring ankle issues.
Foyth - Looks like he may be moving to left back.
Dier - Playing mostly as a DM.

Curve ball.........Is Poch planning to retrain Davies or Wanyama as CB? Davies doesn't seem big and strong enough for CB.

Having Bale back would be a retrograde step. We have moved on and so has he. The fans would probably have expectations of him that he would no longer be able to fulfill and I just cannot see this transfer happening. He just doesn't fit the profile of players we are attempting to bring in.

I have wonderful memories of his time at the club and would hate to have them tarnished by an unsuccessful attempt at recreating the glory days of old at this stage of his career.
For a nano second it's a wonderful idea then harsh reality kicks in and you realise it's probably for the best if we stay with Gareth Bale firmly in our past and simply wish him well with wherever he ends up playing.
Thanks....but no thanks...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom