Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was multi-tasking last night by re-reading snippets of Poch's book whilst sat on the lav.
And I was reminded of the very strong theme running through Levy's bit at the end - "we are first and foremost a family club, here at Tottenham we don't buy superstars we make them".
And you know, for me, that's just fine.

Last edited:
2 big ifs there mate, and bar city no team is gonna pay 50 million for a player to sit on the bench in case 2 players get injured/leave

Don't think Toby not signing is a big if.
Also don't think he'd be on the bench.

Like I said though, the main thing is that we're not getting Maguire or Mawson for stupid money. That pleases me a lot

If we actually give him minutes. Llorente might be worth a damn too.
We’re so far ahead of the curve, we signed this season’s signings, last season.

1jqcf8.jpg

Just joined. Been following this and other THFC sites all summer.

Ok, I negotiate for a living. Not billion dollar deals but enough to make you and yours comfortble for life. The issue with buying is the ratio of HG players. Anyone with a modicum of brainpower can see that.

Turning to TA - he's buggered. He signed a contract in full knowledge of the contents and ramifications thereof under the supervision and advice of his agent and advisors. If you dont like it or understand it - don't sign it. It's that simple. Even better ask someone who does understand to explain it to you.

To now turn round and squeal like a baby saying 'It's just not fair' while mounting a legal challenge is the last resort open to a busted flush. Trust me, Levy has him by the balls.
The other thing that has just occurred to me is 'we' don't do buyout clauses. When it became apparent that Toby has one in his contract, that can be activated in the last year of his contract subject to certain conditions, this would all support the notion that the inclusion of it would have been negotiated heavily on his part, by his agent. It would appear to me that he is being held to this element, a kind of "well it was you that wanted the contract structured in this way" approach. I can't help but feel had he signed a 'normal' contract like every other Tottenham player, he might well have been sitting pretty on a new contract singed and sealed last year.

Assuming that a new contract would fall into the category of those around him in that the Club feel it is merited (like Kane, Lloris, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela). If the position was similar to Walker (who was also handed a new contract just before he left) and he requested to leave then nothing will change the position of Poch/Levy and that we'll close the door behind him on the way out.

He is good , for whatever reason the fans have never taken to him.

It's strange, his beauty if there for all to see however he looks somewhat lethargic.

It's not his fault he comes on late, at a point we're chasing a game. At this stage we're looking for a terrier to come on and run ragged but that's just not him. Seeing him in pre season has reminded me he's a decent player and gives us another dimension. Maybe we should hang on and look for a youngster to support. We have lots of games this season so there should be enough opportunity for three strikers.

Saying that do we need proven quality to ease the pressure on Kane? A wise strategy might be looking for a strong midfielder (like Sonny), that can deputise up front if need be. I would rather spank more money on that sort of player than on a big name forward who will have limited opportunities... Versatility seems to be the modern way...

Is Martial that player?

It's strange, his beauty if there for all to see however he looks somewhat lethargic.

It's not his fault he comes on late, at a point we're chasing a game. At this stage we're looking for a terrier to come on and run ragged but that's just not him. Seeing him in pre season has reminded me he's a decent player and gives us another dimension. Maybe we should hang on and look for a youngster to support. We have lots of games this season so there should be enough opportunity for three strikers.

Saying that do we need proven quality to ease the pressure on Kane? A wise strategy might be looking for a strong midfielder (like Sonny), that can deputise up front if need be. I would rather spank more money on that sort of player than on a big name forward who will have limited opportunities... Versatility seems to be the modern way...

Is Martial that player?

No. Lucas is.

I was multi-tasking last night by re-reading snippets of Poch's book whilst sat on the lav.
And I was reminded of the very strong theme running through Levy's bit at the end - "we are first and foremost a family club, here at Tottenham we don't buy superstars we make them".
And you know, for me, that's just fine.

We used to buy superstars.....and it was fun :pochsulk:

Back
Top Bottom