Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some people in brum saying Us and Palace both interested in Grealish but Grealish has told Villa the only club he will leave for is Spurs and that our offer of £15m has been rejected with Villa wanting £20m+

If we don't get Martial that is actually ok- they can't possibly keep both of Rashford and Martial happy as they can't afford to not play Sanchez. Mourinho is setting himself up for an embarrassing meltdown over there. Couldn't happen to a nicer fella...

Neither Martial nor Rashford is worth 100m either so Chelsea and Munich would lose in that scenario too. Neither will pay that much though, I guarantee it.

Rashford didn't exactly light up the World Cup and Martial didn't even get there - if someone pays 100m then more fool them.

The problem in world football is that plenty of talent is just wasting away on the bench..... They can't be happy about it but allegedly Martial is about to extend his contract.

Do footballers not actually want to play football anymore?

So to recap
Sneezy
Bashful
Happy
Doc
Sleepy
Grumpy
Bastard
Cunty(Pikeys got there first) missed the boat
McGinn
Grealish.....any one else:freund:

....and then some!

£70m + £45m allegedly.... £115m.

Crazy... Just dont see any value in that at all... Mahrez 60m... Kovacic £50m r/c... (we coul all make our own similar list)...

No good developing players out there available for less than that?

Even given the crazy market we could and should be challenging the first XI for that kind of money.

Honestly... Are we just like totally crap at scouting? ...What gives?

Why are we still not in the mix with the likes of Monaco/BvB for high celing, low profile youth if that's our supposed m.o.?

Paying top whack for domestic players that the entire UK already know about and have seemingly shown no interest in yet are still unproven at the requisite level.... This is has got (eg) Everton written all over it... A plucky West Ham maybe.... Not CL regulars with a strong recent track record for bringing through young players...

Seems CL footy means very little with regard to attracting the profile of player we need afterall.

Don't expect major miracles from the new stadium either... Bigger wages allowing us to keep our better players so long as they're still happy to be here, otherwise business as usual... No bigger force in the trf market than we ever were.

It feels like someone is eventually going to get caught out by these transfer fees, not necessarily 'do a Leeds' but at least leave themselves in the shit for a while. Everton and Liverpool both seem to be living beyond their means.

Maybe Stoke and Villa have already done this to some extent.

I have no idea how good Grealish is , not really causing a mad rush with his availability for sale .
Are we only after because we can get him cheap ?
Is he good enough to establish himself as a first team starter ?
Would we pay the going rate for him in this inflated market ?
Is he a cheap and hope punt ?
(1 in 4 success rate , Deli or Nkounda)
Would he help us push for a title challenge or squad filler ?

It feels like someone is eventually going to get caught out by these transfer fees, not necessarily 'do a Leeds' but at least leave themselves in the shit for a while. Everton and Liverpool both seem to be living beyond their means.

Would love to see Liverpool do a Leeds and end up in the championship :vert:

I have no idea how good Grealish is , not really causing a mad rush with his availability for sale .

I think plenty of other teams want him, but we've turned his head.

Coming to Spurs is the easiest route to the England team, and at the same time you get to play in the best stadium, train at the best training ground, play Champions League, compete for trophies and also live in London.

Rashford didn't exactly light up the World Cup and Martial didn't even get there - if someone pays 100m then more fool them.

The problem in world football is that plenty of talent is just wasting away on the bench..... They can't be happy about it but allegedly Martial is about to extend his contract.

Do footballers not actually want to play football anymore?
I'm hesitant to be down on Martial for not getting called up to that French squad - he would have had to dislodge top players who got more game time last year than he did.

Similarly, Leroy Sané didn't get called up for Germany - but I'd give my left nut to see him at Spurs.

To be honest, I think Spurs were watching that play-off final knowing they'd make a move for either Grealish/Sessegnon depending on who didn't get promoted.

Aston Villa's money problems + a home grown player with a lot of potential seems like a no-brainer. Almost surprising that it hasn't been hijacked by another club as of yet.

Regarding the 25-man squad rules, it really is astonishing that we bothered getting Gazzaniga (who takes up a non-home-grown spot) rather than filling it with an academy product/cheap Englishman. As it stands, we can't add another foreign player over 21 without selling/not-registering someone.

"Both or no deal" :levystare:
giphy.gif

I genuinely hope so; hard lessons may teach others and the bubble bursting would benefit us more than most, but flawed ownership will always be a thing.

I guess my broader point tho is that teams without EPL TV riches accross Europe still manage to operate a similar model to ours without engaging with this area of the market; so what's stopping us sidestepping it too?

Are we honestly that fucked in terms of lacking homegrown players?

Last edited:
Regarding the 25-man squad rules, it really is astonishing that we bothered getting Gazzaniga (who takes up a non-home-grown spot) rather than filling it with an academy product/cheap Englishman. As it stands, we can't add another foreign player over 21 without selling/not-registering someone.
Of course, this, and the unresolved contracts of other foreign players, isn’t affecting our transfer dealings.
Both who are on holiday.

Evidently he's not available on the cheap.

We'd be buying a player we believe can become a starter.

Question is a) how real is that potential? ...£40m real?

b) ...Do we have more urgent, immediate needs to focus that kind of money on?

I

Instead of tens of millions in a Zaha or Martial, is there any thought to spending the same money looking for the next Dele, by signing half a dozen young English players?

Dael Fry at Boro, Ezri Konsa at Charlton, Tom Pearce at Leeds are all England U21s and at lower league clubs. Other possibles from that squad are Barnes at Leicester, Cook at Bournemouth (especially). There must be more talent in the Championship and League One that we could work with. And if they don’t work out, they’d not lose that much value would they?

I genuinely hope so; hard lessons may teach others and the bubble bursting woukd benefit us more than most, but flawed ownership will always be a thing.

I guess my broader point tho is that teams without EPL TV riches accross Europe still manage to operate a similar model to ours without engaging with this area of the market; so what's stopping us sidestepping it too?

Are we honestly that fucked in terms of lacking homegrown players?

Have you read WindyCOYS WindyCOYS blog on squad / homegrown situation?

Basically we can sign someone like Grealish easily, but if non-homegrown we need to sell or have 'dead' wages

Liverpool have a much higher turnover than us, last season sold Coutinho and are not building a £750m pound stadium with all the costs that entails.
Think they are living within their means if we are.

Everton on the other hand.....

It's looks like Villa have new ownership, who are not short of cash . According to the shit press they would demand 30+.
At that price is he worth it as he may be 2 years away from the first 11 ?

Back
Top Bottom