Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was an awful lot of it last summer I think off the back of Sky discussing who 'won' the transfer window. People jump on the bandwagon and panic about it.

And yes your point about no discussing transfers until the end of the window defeats the object of the thread, well yes it does. What I was trying to get at was worrying excessively about who has done what is pointless until we get to the end of it.
It’s all pointless anyway. I’d shit myself if Man City signed Messi and Bale this window, but they could both break legs in the Community Shield.

A good 95% of this forum is pointless and the ramblings of the lunatic fringe.

Can we bet on him being loaned to Marseille in the 19/20 season?

Meh.

He'll get alot more games than Njie or NKoudou did for us. He was a pretty important player for Marseille last season in their EL run.

Pretty underwhelming though. Especially if that's IT for central midfielders. Still want Ndombele.

Made a comment before that he's pretty much French Aaron Ramsey.

It’s all pointless anyway. I’d shit myself if Man City signed Messi and Bale this window, but they could both break legs in the Community Shield.

A good 95% of this forum is pointless and the ramblings of the lunatic fringe.
I think that's it. We largely dismiss rumours of players we are interested in depending on the source but then believe any rumour coming out about another club and their next big signing irrespective of where its come from.

For the last couple of years we have largely worked under the radar when buying players. We don't know and never will do what is going behind the scenes.

Having said that I always read this thread during the transfer windows for the same reason as many, I enjoy the hype and excitement that goes along with it.

I do think with Liverpool that as we are so often linked with the same players these days that we get more wound up than rumours for other clubs.

I would be more worried if Liverpool sorted out their GK and bought a decent CB to play alongside Van Dijk than bought another attacking player.

Don’t think Liverpool are worth “fearing”, but it’s extremely short sighted to not consider them a rival to our aspirations in the coming seasons. We’ve finished above them so often in the last decade, but the gap is now down to two points. Whatever level of investment we both make, it’ll be close again next season.

Spot on really. They are our rivals, and I think for the title next year it will be much closer between four teams - us, Liverpool, City and Utd. The thing is, Liverpool used to be ahead of us, we were not considered rivals by them. I remember them taking Keane off us even though Berbatov left the same summer. They tapped him up and there was fuck all we could do because they were the bigger club. It didn't work out for Keane and he came back but that again was us buying back their reject, it demonstrated again that they were much bigger than us. Pretty much since then we've overtaken them, they've spent the years looking up to us, even though they don't want to admit it, but they've improved under Klopp and now we're close rivals really. I personally think we will finish above them again next season, and they've had their CL luck getting to the final and they blew it. I really don't see them going a step further any time soon, it will not be much harder for them to get as for as the final again. We haven't had our final yet, we're building up to it with genuine potential. Maybe we'll have some luck one year and go all the way and win it. But yeah, we're rivals. I don't think they are as good as us, frankly, but they are paying higher prices in the market, higher agent fees, and wages which evens things up a bit.

In a weird way, it's fun to see us debating about Liverpool. while this topic on its own is detrimental to us, but we seem toswipe aside Woolwich into oblivion. And Chelscum too.

I think he's the real deal and would love to see him at Spurs. I think he went to United for a camp last year? That would be a shame because he has so much potential.

Nice to see a Canadian chime in.

It's a potential low risk investment. He's 17 years old. Has all the attributes to be a star and would be relatively cheap.

Sign him up. Send him back on loan to Vancouver until the end of the MLS season and then get him back for Poch to mould him.

Nice to see a Canadian chime in.

It's a potential low risk investment. He's 17 years old. Has all the attributes to be a star and would be relatively cheap.

Sign him up. Send him back on loan to Vancouver until the end of the MLS season and then get him back for Poch to mould him.

He's got a lot of us excited! When he's come on for the National team you can just see the whole team lift and he really looks good. He adds some pace and energy to the team that we otherwise lack (we lack a lot to be frank!)

It's difficult to know how he would do against better competition though. Running around and looking good in MLS is one thing, or playing internationals against CONCACAF opponents isn't really indicative of how he could do against better talent. But we have had some good players come from Canada, and he certainly looks like the next one for us.

Meh.

He'll get alot more games than Njie or NKoudou did for us. He was a pretty important player for Marseille last season in their EL run.

Pretty underwhelming though. Especially if that's IT for central midfielders. Still want Ndombele.

Made a comment before that he's pretty much French Aaron Ramsey.
Sanson would be the safer gamble.

Ndombele has 2 top flight seasons, one in which he played only 3 games. Where as Sanson, who is 2 years older just finished his 5th top flight season. With even stats to boot.

Ndombele would be a more "brave" and daring gamble. A Vincent Janssen/N'koudou style gamble based off of one good season. Not saying he is bad, he looks a player. But with Sanson we just have more data to go off of that indicates that he could make the move to the PL without going off the deep end.

Last edited:
Liverpools squad improvement probably puts them on par with us.

Wouldn't say they've overtaken us. Fabinho, whilst excellent, could turn out like Bakayoko. He's better than Bakayoko but it's not out of the realms of possibility. Better players have failed in this league.

Keita is great but he'll still be partnered with Henderson who Klopp will likely never drop as he is their captain.

Until they sign a goalkeeper and a centre back. I'm not particularly worried.
I think people are really underrating their defence. They only brought in van Dijk in January and they concede 38 goals this season, only two more than us

Back
Top Bottom