Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would love this to be us.

I hate his attitude
I doubt we'd pay his wages
Everything about his personalty is the polar opposite of what Poch wishes to install in his players.
Hes clearly past his best and no way has the fitness that Poch would demand.

But i would still love this to be us. Yaya and Mousa could do 45 mins each.

Spurs have 20 Overseas Trained Players (as defined by CL Rules) of which only 17 can be registered and play - under PL definitions we have 18 players and can fit 17 into our squad.

So as it stands 3 of the players cannot be registered for CL.

IMO the likely shortlist seems to be :

N'Koudou (winger - Spurs have plenty of better AM options)

Foyth (least experienced in the squad, but our 4th available CB)

Llorente (Back up striker, unless we depend on Son and Moura)

Sissoko (played previously as right sided AM - now competing with Moura and Lamela - or CM - where we have Dembele, Winks, Wanyama, Dier with Onomah, Amos and Skipp awaiting, the last 2 having their contracts extended by 3 years today so in Poch's thoights). So arguably no longer required.

Aurier (erratic RB who Poch could with coaching get to a 7/10 consistent RB, but Walker-Peters has 2 MOTM performances in 6 matches and is home grown, so arguably position covered)

So I'm expecting at least one of these to leave by Friday when most european TW's close, but which THREE would you expect to be sold/loaned out or not registered to play in CL ? .

Anyone pay for Times Subscription? if so could you copy and paste, as might be an interesting read.

I'm generally pro-Levy and and thought the window went okay because we didn't sell anyone and they are making a big impact (Toby, Dembele, Rose to a lesser extent).

But to act like what Tottenham did was "genius" is absurd. We absolutely need to bring in reinforcements for CM and CB. Toby could still be gone next summer and Dembele isn't getting any healthier. We've started the season well but its a small sample size. Let's see where we are after the Christmas period.

Edit: I did not read the article, I am merely reacting to the description in the twitter link. So it may be a bit more than that, to be fair.

I'm generally pro-Levy and and thought the window went okay because we didn't sell anyone and they are making a big impact (Toby, Dembele, Rose to a lesser extent).

But to act like what Tottenham did was "genius" is absurd. We absolutely need to bring in reinforcements for CM and CB. Toby could still be gone next summer and Dembele isn't getting any healthier. We've started the season well but its a small sample size. Let's see where we are after the Christmas period.

Edit: I did not read the article, I am merely reacting to the description in the twitter link. So it may be a bit more than that, to be fair.

We may well have wanted to bring in reinforcements and CB and CM , but with Spurs already having 20 Overseas Trained players for 17 spots (per CL rules), without selling or loaning out some of those, we would be restricted to buying 'Homegrown players' and with the exception of probably a handful of players none of them would have improved our squad. And that handful, the prime example being Grealish was not eventually available, and even if available would have been one needing polishing up.

I think Spurs assumption going into the window was that Dembele and/or Alderweireld would move freeing up a squad place for an overseas trained player.

When that didn't happen, and a lack of viable homegrown players available, we decided we were better off with the squad we had until at least January.

Not a bad option to have - but only possible as we have a decent first team now plus some depth from previous TW's.

Yeah, Premier League clubs won't be able to sign out-of-contract players until January.

Only Football League clubs can sign free agents until the end of August.

In years gone by, clubs were able to sign free agents at any point, but clubs under orders to submit their 25-man squads, this is no longer permitted.

Yeah, Premier League clubs won't be able to sign out-of-contract players until January.

Only Football League clubs can sign free agents until the end of August.

In years gone by, clubs were able to sign free agents at any point, but clubs under orders to submit their 25-man squads, this is no longer permitted.
As long as there's a free slot in the 25 man squad, and it confirms with the rules on homegrown players, you can still register a free agent.

As long as there's a free slot in the 25 man squad, and it confirms with the rules on homegrown players, you can still register a free agent.

How?

You HAD to register your squad a day after the window shut. Changes can only be made to their squad list during a transfer window, meaning clubs will have to wait until January to register any more players after that date.

Do you have any source for this? Not that I'm saying you're wrong just from most things I read seem to point towards it can't be done.

If we're falling short, I'll blame where the faults lie, like I always do.
If its Dele playing poor, and Poch not rotating, I will say so......If its Kane playing like a big fat slug, I will point it out.
To thousands of disagrees.
Is there a point where you would also consider blaming our transfer activity (or lack of). Or is that some holy grail that must never, ever be questioned?

Is there a point where you would also consider blaming our transfer activity (or lack of). Or is that some holy grail that must never, ever be questioned?
Id slag it off if we paid 60M for Martial, or 50M for Barkley.

As it stands, we started with an 11 that cost less than Pogba at Old Trafford two weeks ago.

I think our transfer policy is just fine.

I bet you'll not find a single quote where I said that.
I've often said spending big money gives you a better shot at winning trophies.
And considering we don't spend big, and we don't win any trophies, the evidence backs me up doesn't it?

Liverpool spend big, West Ham spend big, Everton spend big, Woolwich spend big.....in fact we spend the least of all clubs, yet keep finishing above them.
You seem to think because City and Chelsea broke football, thats the only model to follow, yet Leicester beat them all to a title while the year after we were runners up.

Your theory isnt about Spurs and trophies, its just about you wanting players.

Too choosy a manager certainly didn't help.
Frenkie de Jong admits he nearly joined Tottenham before Barcelona move | Football News | Sky Sports

Grealish deal agreed with old owner of Aston Villa but new owners refused to sanction sale after completing their purchase of club in record time. New owners bet that the £200m+ advantage of getting to PL outweighed any price they could get for Grealish......and they were right

So money available,......just not invested by manager

So RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK you don't believe all the journalists reporting from the players side (not Spurs side) ?

Too choosy a manager certainly didn't help.
Frenkie de Jong admits he nearly joined Tottenham before Barcelona move | Football News | Sky Sports

Grealish deal agreed with old owner of Aston Villa but new owners refused to sanction sale after completing their purchase of club in record time. New owners bet that the £200m+ advantage of getting to PL outweighed any price they could get for Grealish......and they were right

So money available,......just not invested by manager
Hmm I think Poch was picky this window yeah but Levy's pathetic attempt at signing Grealish was the problem.

£3m + Onomah

😂

Back
Top Bottom