Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkley's assist to Lukaku this past weekend was ridiculous and convinced me that I'd like to see him at Spurs, assuming we don't credibly approach any bigger/better players this next summer (Isco being one...).

We shouldn't plan for Lamela to be fully healthy ever again, unfortunately (fingers crossed that it will happen though!), and should definitely plan to add someone in his position to ensure that we have a full squad to start the season.

I don't really expect us to spend on someone like Isco though, so I think I'd be happy if we were just able to add a Zaha/Barkley type player. Right now I'm thinking I would take Barkley over Zaha. Who would y'all pick between Barkley and Zaha given the choice? Could we actually sign both? Would we want to?
Being completely cold about it - I can still see scope for Barkley and Lamela in the same side - I see Lamela being rotation for Alli and Barkley being rotation for Eriksen (if not further back in the formation).

I also think that some might underestimate just how vital Eriksen is to Spurs right now. We are so lucky that he hasn't been injured at all this season, as I can't see anyone (with the possible exception of Lamela) pulling the strings like he does.
If Barkley would be someone that could come on for Eriksen or play in his stead, he'd be incredibly useful.

Since I mentioned BFS in the same post, & Saha doesn't play for Palace...you can sleep more easily, knowing I did indeed mean Zaha, & it got autocorrected. Shame on me for not double checking

#pedant

Ah, I didn't know what BFS was. Thought it was "Back to the Future..." something, hence why it might have been Saha in some way (as people make a lot of references to the Saha/Nelson thing)

I had a look at him here.
His goal at ~0:57 is impressive.
Good size, good finishing instinct. Nice find!
Is he really worth 10-25 million as is already though?
The money bump this past year is screwing with my sense of valuations!

He's worth what a club's prepared and what Forest are prepared to let him go for. Given he's only got a year left on his contract, I'd have thought between 5-10 mill. If they go down, they might have to take less. You're paying for potential at that kind of age.

I can see him ending up at either Liverpool or Spurs. Poch and Klopp have similar managerial philosophies and often seem to go head to head for the same players.

Being completely cold about it - I can still see scope for Barkley and Lamela in the same side - I see Lamela being rotation for Alli and Barkley being rotation for Eriksen (if not further back in the formation).

I also think that some might underestimate just how vital Eriksen is to Spurs right now. We are so lucky that he hasn't been injured at all this season, as I can't see anyone (with the possible exception of Lamela) pulling the strings like he does.
If Barkley would be someone that could come on for Eriksen or play in his stead, he'd be incredibly useful.

Poch was gushing in his praise of Eriksen in some articles I read yesterday and analysing parts of what he said gives credence to the Berkley rumours and also raises questions about Lamela's future:

"If you have two players like Christian and Dele, who can play in the pocket behind the No9, you must create a system that can fit them both,” Pochettino said. “That is what it means to be flexible. You can see how Christian and Dele use the pocket and how we create different things to swap them between the right and left and, sometimes, to drop them to build from the back when teams play deeper against us.

“We try to play now with two No10s, who face the opponents’ goal, rather than have their backs to it. The system and the philosophy helps Christian and Dele a lot. And they help a lot with the system and the philosophy. It’s in both directions.”

I think he sees Barkley as a player that can come in for either Alli or Eriksen, but doesn't see Lamela as a viable option there. Why? Because he can't go left or right and be effective in multiple areas of the pitch in the same way they can, and will he ever offer the same goal threat? And he isn't a player who can drop back and play deeper like they can.

I know it distresses some fans to even contemplate it but I think the likelihood of is that he will be moved on in the Summer.

I like both Zaha and Barkley but overall I don't appreciate the super inflation on the price only because they are English players.
And for the money we ought to pay to buy them, there are other and better solutions abroad.

Only my 2 cents though.

For Zaha, we should look at Lemar, Younes, Gelson.. Just a couple of examples.

I would love if we try to buy Kimmich. He wants to play more and he's the perfect player for Poch to work with.
Young, talented, versatile and eager to win.
That's my wish for this summer.
(and not to sell anyone from the starting 11 of course)

I think we should sign Barkley and keep faith with Lamela. Levy should back Poch to the hilt and even perhaps sign another striker.

I agree. He has the same qualities of Hazard with the low center of gravity, agility, speed, and able to use both feet. Plus he is really young so if Poch gets him young he won't turn out with Hazards bitch ass personality.

Would much prefer him over Zaha.

I agree. He has the same qualities of Hazard with the low center of gravity, agility, speed, and able to use both feet. Plus he is really young so if Poch gets him young he won't turn out with Hazards bitch ass personality.

Would much prefer him over Zaha.

I'd love to see this happen for three simple reasons. First, I think he's a very talented young player with loads of potential who could help us. Second, I'm a Yank and I'd love to see how he'd grow with Poch's influence, and third, we've not really had a Yank to argue about since Dempsey left and I've missed that, albeit predictable, banter since then.

I had a look. 50 league goals in 149 goals, decent you would say.

The thing is, believe me, he was a brilliant player. Whatever he did in Scotland, and afterwards, the years he was playing for Chavs and before he was fucking great. Much better player than Iversen, Solskjær and the rest of the strikers around at the time, before or since (including Carew).

He scored loads in Scotland, but it was clear that, he was going downhill. After Scotland, he went to Sunderland, after that to Siena. He had lost the magic touch, was much slower. He peaked when he was 25 and went downhill quite rapidly after that. Shame that he played for the Chavs, a shame that he lost it too early.

Always rated Flo, but no way was he better than Solskjaer.

I like both Zaha and Barkley but overall I don't appreciate the super inflation on the price only because they are English players.
And for the money we ought to pay to buy them, there are other and better solutions abroad.

Only my 2 cents though.

For Zaha, we should look at Lemar, Younes, Gelson.. Just a couple of examples.

I would love if we try to buy Kimmich. He wants to play more and he's the perfect player for Poch to work with.
Young, talented, versatile and eager to win.
That's my wish for this summer.
(and not to sell anyone from the starting 11 of course)

Can't agree with the logic.

Players like Zaha and Barkley are worth more because they are in the league already. It's hardly like Zaha is £30m but Bolasie was £10m?

The reason why exotic "superstars" like Boufal were "only" (using terms thrown about last summer) £15m is apparent.

I, personally, am bored of the idea of signing hype players from football manager. Yes we could get lucky and sign the next Ronaldo, but we could also end up with the next Anderson.

(I'm also bored of reading the next list of wonderkids from computer games mixed in with "we should sign...")

Can't agree with the logic.

Players like Zaha and Barkley are worth more because they are in the league already. It's hardly like Zaha is £30m but Bolasie was £10m?

The reason why exotic "superstars" like Boufal were "only" (using terms thrown about last summer) £15m is apparent.

I, personally, am bored of the idea of signing hype players from football manager. Yes we could get lucky and sign the next Ronaldo, but we could also end up with the next Anderson.

(I'm also bored of reading the next list of wonderkids from computer games mixed in with "we should sign...")

You're right, I should've said Premier League players, just a basic mistake because the 2 players we were talking are both english.

I am not saying to buy exotic superstars, just saying that for the same price we can offer for Zaha and Barkley we would probably get better players from other leagues.. that already proved themselves. Anyway I like them both, just think they are very overpriced.

And Kimmich is not a wonderkid, I believe he's already a well established player, and one that would fit perfectly within the team.

You're right, I should've said Premier League players, just a basic mistake because the 2 players we were talking are both english.

I am not saying to buy exotic superstars, just saying that for the same price we can offer for Zaha and Barkley we would probably get better players from other leagues.. that already proved themselves. Anyway I like them both, just think they are very overpriced.

And Kimmich is not a wonderkid, I believe he's already a well established player, and one that would fit perfectly within the team.

Technically (as mentioned before) Zaha is the same as Berahino - both are African born, and English domiciled which makes them Home Grown, but British (rather than English).

(Quite the opposite to Dier, who is English born, but not Home Grown due to moving to Lisbon when he was something like 13 years old.)

Anyway, the reason why players from other leagues are cheaper is that they are a risk - sometimes a Premier League player costs more for a PL team because there is less of a risk - they know the league.

Lots of players, including Lamela, come to the PL and struggle with the physicality. As we've seen already, Lamela perhaps should have cost half what he did, but it's an example of how players in weaker leagues can carry bigger fees than a similar PL player.

Right now team is strong however there can be improvements. guessing we will do something like:

Sell

Sissoko

Wimmer - like the guy but Poch doesn't favour him

Bentaleb - already agreed I believe

Nije

Nkouduo - again like the guy but seem to be in Poch's good books

Buy

Zaha - could be a beast under Poch

Barkley - hit and miss but one year left on his contract so might be a reasonable deal.

Sessegnon - or another talented young player probably in the fullback area

Either promote CCV or get someone another CB

Maybe a top wildcard signing like Tomas Lemar or Isco but not expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom