Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulisic is another player I'd take over Zaha. He's got decent pace and is technically superior to Zaha. Two good feet and a low centre of gravity.

I agree. He has the same qualities of Hazard with the low center of gravity, agility, speed, and able to use both feet. Plus he is really young so if Poch gets him young he won't turn out with Hazards bitch ass personality.

Would much prefer him over Zaha.

I agree. He has the same qualities of Hazard with the low center of gravity, agility, speed, and able to use both feet. Plus he is really young so if Poch gets him young he won't turn out with Hazards bitch ass personality.

Would much prefer him over Zaha.

I think this might be the year they lose Aubameyang so they'll be reluctant too let any other big names go. They'd sell him before Dembele though. And he's a Nike client so they'd be keen for him to join us.

Not his biggest fan and don't know if this guy is reliable but maybe Poch could make him a world beater

I don't really rate him at all as a forward player, but Pocchettino could be the man to finally make him realise he's best suited to being a deeper, more orthodox midfielder. His ball retention, passing, ball control and robust, penetrative running with the ball would make him the perfect successor to Dembele.

This was a few years back and he needs to realise he can only reach the top of the game playing in this role:

I think we'll bring Zaha and Barkley in early, for overinflated fees no doubt, but that'll be us sorted with the exception of a cheaper youngster or two and shipping out deadwood.

Waaaay too much smoke over the past few months. And if you were Levy, then surely you'd look at this season and back your man within reason. Also, getting them in early and used to the squad might genuinely be the difference between us winning the league and not. We're sloppy at the start of the season.

You know what will happen - we'll get business sorted early and people (looking at you John Thomas) will spend the rest of the window moaning that we haven't strengthened like our rivals and Levy is a tight bastard etc

Ah, the famous "missing the point" quote.

The same Tore Andre Flo who scored maybe 30 league goals for Chelsea in well over 110 Premier League games, but managed not far off a goal a game in the SPL, before coming back to the PL and managing 4 goals a season (i.e. SPL is shit and not indicative of a good PL striker).

Unfortunately, scoring against us in the late 90's wasn't actually a sign that a player was any good, it was a sign that we weren't.

I had a look. 50 league goals in 149 goals, decent you would say.

The thing is, believe me, he was a brilliant player. Whatever he did in Scotland, and afterwards, the years he was playing for Chavs and before he was fucking great. Much better player than Iversen, Solskjær and the rest of the strikers around at the time, before or since (including Carew).

He scored loads in Scotland, but it was clear that, he was going downhill. After Scotland, he went to Sunderland, after that to Siena. He had lost the magic touch, was much slower. He peaked when he was 25 and went downhill quite rapidly after that. Shame that he played for the Chavs, a shame that he lost it too early.

You know what will happen - we'll get business sorted early and people (looking at you John Thomas) will spend the rest of the window moaning that we haven't strengthened like our rivals and Levy is a tight bastard etc
Man, the rest of the top 6 are going to be obscene with their transfers. But fuck them, that's not our game - our strongest XI doesn't have a player we spent more than £15m on in it.

They can keep on signing players like Pogba, Stones, and Xhaka for more than our club record transfer.
We're Tottenham Hotspur, and they need to catch up with us.

aoG03rJ.gif

Sissoko was sought by Everton
Swap him for Barkley (entering last year of contract, fee will be a lot lower than would otherwise be the case)
Or do a deal with BFS involving Sissoko for Saha.
I'd bring in either of them if we could use our French flop as part of the deal
:levyeyes:

I had a look. 50 league goals in 149 goals, decent you would say.

The thing is, believe me, he was a brilliant player. Whatever he did in Scotland, and afterwards, the years he was playing for Chavs and before he was fucking great. Much better player than Iversen, Solskjær and the rest of the strikers around at the time, before or since (including Carew).

He scored loads in Scotland, but it was clear that, he was going downhill. After Scotland, he went to Sunderland, after that to Siena. He had lost the magic touch, was much slower. He peaked when he was 25 and went downhill quite rapidly after that. Shame that he played for the Chavs, a shame that he lost it too early.

Absolutely no way Flo scored 50 league goals for Chelsea.

Point still remains that the Scottish league is like "Novice" mode for strikers, as by no means an indicator for goalscoring pedigree in the Premier League.

There is no one example that proves otherwise.

Eredivise to PL is a different story, hence why I believe Janssen is still superior to Dembele, and I don't think he is anything but a hopeless gamble, the same as Batshuayi, Origi, Lookman or any other Football Manager hype player.

Sissoko was sought by Everton
Swap him for Barkley (entering last year of contract, fee will be a lot lower than would otherwise be the case)
Or do a deal with BFS involving Sissoko for Saha.
I'd bring in either of them if we could use our French flop as part of the deal
:levyeyes:

:saha:

You mean Zaha, unless you want Louis to come back out of retirement (although I bet he'd still do a job!)

Absolutely no way Flo scored 50 league goals for Chelsea.

Point still remains that the Scottish league is like "Novice" mode for strikers, as by no means an indicator for goalscoring pedigree in the Premier League.

There is no one example that proves otherwise.

Eredivise to PL is a different story, hence why I believe Janssen is still superior to Dembele, and I don't think he is anything but a hopeless gamble, the same as Batshuayi, Origi, Lookman or any other Football Manager hype player.

You are right, the goals I quoted were goals in all comps. Stand to be corrected.

There is a huge gap between Scotland and England, more now than then, but point still stands. Flo never was a notorious goal scorer, but was more than just about the goals.

Just saying, if you want to pick a "poor" player, then there are better examples like Hooper and Boyd, Flo was an excellent player.

And I agree about your point that goals in Scotland doesn't prove anything, as per example Dembele. He could be good for Spurs, just like a Championship buy, but far away from a guarenteed success.

Forest have got an interesting prospect called Ben Brereton. He's not yet 18 but looks older in the way he plays. You can see shades of Kane in him. English as well. Has all the hallmarks of a Poch/Levy signing. Definitely worth a £10 million punt, though Forest fans seem to value around £25 million and rate him higher than Burke.

I had a look at him here.
His goal at ~0:57 is impressive.
Good size, good finishing instinct. Nice find!
Is he really worth 10-25 million as is already though?
The money bump this past year is screwing with my sense of valuations!

:saha:

You mean Zaha, unless you want Louis to come back out of retirement (although I bet he'd still do a job!)
Since I mentioned BFS in the same post, & Saha doesn't play for Palace...you can sleep more easily, knowing I did indeed mean Zaha, & it got autocorrected. Shame on me for not double checking

#pedant

Barkley's assist to Lukaku this past weekend was ridiculous and convinced me that I'd like to see him at Spurs, assuming we don't credibly approach any bigger/better players this next summer (Isco being one...).

We shouldn't plan for Lamela to be fully healthy ever again, unfortunately (fingers crossed that it will happen though!), and should definitely plan to add someone in his position to ensure that we have a full squad to start the season.

I don't really expect us to spend on someone like Isco though, so I think I'd be happy if we were just able to add a Zaha/Barkley type player. Right now I'm thinking I would take Barkley over Zaha. Who would y'all pick between Barkley and Zaha given the choice? Could we actually sign both? Would we want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom