Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with fans like you is summarised in one word: impatience.

Yes, Levy is a tight arse. Yes, Levy has probably bungled a few transfers through his negotiation tactics. Yes he has sometimes made bad decisions when it comes to managers. But the intent has always been clear. To not run the club at a debt and to slowly improve the side to the extent that we stand a chance of competing at the top. The fact is that we have improved quicker than we should. I suspect that Levy did not envisage us competing for the title before the new stadium was built. But we have. In the years Levy has been chairman we changed from being a side that had just avoided regulation to having now finished in the top four on four occasions, constantly competing in Europe, mounting back to back title challenges, building the league's best training ground and building what will be the best stadium in the league - all while massively increasing our global profile. Whenever we have taken one step back in the short term we have taken two steps forward in the long term. Levy is not perfect and has made mistakes, but Jesus Christ, look at the bigger picture. What he has done for us to date is more positive than it is negative and fans should be fucking grateful for it. Instead it's whining because we don't sign players quick enough...and Stratford, really? :rolleyes:

Quite sad when I can't keep up to the pace of this thread, yet I try to join the cuntersation, only to find that others have already posted a better answer than I could ever dream of formulating

Dortmund hadn't won anything for 10 years and then their policy yielded them back to back titles.....and then haven't since.

I'm sure in the years leading up to their triumphs there were one or two German muppets claiming that homegrown academy players was a waste of time and they would never win anything with their rubbish transfer policy.......

Oh well, look what happened......they were the best in the land and all their players still wanted to fuck off for more money, and the manager jumped ship too.

You can't cater for that unless you have a system that keeps feeding the club with new homegrown talent and building largely from within.

Seems like Dortmund haven't done that, I don't know?

However I will laugh when it is proven that City and Chelsea are operating an unsustainable business model, and Spurs can just carry on without our future depending on the next big financial crash or some billionaire finding a more profitable "project".

Interesting point about Dortmund. Do you think we can learn from that? Get to a point then pivot to take it too the next level? Pay players more but still promote homegrown? This shows things are very fragile but i'm still happy to be moving in the direction we are

Couldn't the same be said for putting all of your faith in the academy? All player additions are gambles whether they're transfers or promotions from within. Wouldn't it be a good idea to find a balance between buying and promoting players? It's like sammy who's gone on this witch-hunt against scott, john thomas and me, saying we want City-like spending and we're against promoting youth players and we're not Tottenham fans because we want transfers. In reality we just think that on the basis of last season we could do with additions to the squad so we'd be more competitive in all competitions
you guys are victims of your own past posting record.
You are singled out at times, and grouped together at others, for the similarity of the condemnatory posts you make.
What pisses people off is the seeming indifference for your contrary views and stance, and the manner that you blaze away regardless. If you poke a bear with a stick often enough, don't be surprised, hurt and offended when it bites back.

As someone said in the podcast, I wasn't that thrilled when we were first linked to young Ross but the idea has grown on me I have to say. I think it's pretty clear that Pochettino wants him and that we're working on it (this story will have been fed to Matt Hughes by Spurs in all likelihood) which is fine with me, he seems to tick all the right boxes - young, fit, versatile, "right personality" (as far as any of us know) etc.

How long do groin strains take, assuming he actually has one and it isn't a Bale-type injury? About 3 weeks? That should have him there or thereabouts for the start of the season...
He had an op a hernia in his groin, so no faking injury stuff.

I'm totally split on the bloke. He clearly has talent, but it's not always on show. But I back the manager to improve any player that is open and willing to learn (lets hope he is). I'd like for us to find an Eriksen cover, so he ticks this box (even though my ideal cover guy is Lanzini), Poch also loves a player with versatility and if he thinks he play deeper then there is another tick. I also like the fact he's another English player, and with Walker gone I want to see another in our team, tick. If he turns out to be shit I think he is still very sellable.

Last edited:
I just find it astonishing that after blowing the Bale money on so many big money signings and making no progression that people still argue the trick is just to go and spunk on expensive players aimlessly.

Where is the fucking logic in saying we will improve if we sign X number or type players? It's a gamble so therefore to say it will win us the title is pure and utter speculation. The whole fucking argument is premised on pure uncertainty.

I think what you refer to is best exemplified with the statement on these here boards saying "if we'd signed a pacy attacking player with goals in him we'd have won the league" (or something to that effect), when we know how much our pacy 14 goals in 2063 minutes attacking mid Son contributed during the season, a player who'd probably not have been given the chances he got had we bought an "upgrade" on him. I'd say a realistic scenario would be that the "upgrade", pacy winger X, would not have done as well as Son, and that such an acquisition would have actually cost us points and possibly our second place position.

Partly because Son was phenomenal: 14 goals puts him behind only three other AMs (Sanchez, who played centre forward most of his games, Alli and Hazard). And partly because new players mostly takes a lot of time to adjust to Poch's requirements.

Interesting point about Dortmund. Do you think we can learn from that? Get to a point then pivot to take it too the next level? Pay players more but still promote homegrown? This shows things are very fragile but i'm still happy to be moving in the direction we are
I'm not sure why it all just crashed at Dortmund....will have to read up on it.

With Spurs the plan is to saturate the DNA of the club with people like Harry Kane. Who breath Spurs.....who are Spurs.

It will always have to be complimented with talent from elsewhere, and I haven't seen anyone say that they don't want signings ever.

But right now, this is the most exciting in my life as a 40 year old Spurs fan. A real direction, with a foundation of longevity and in time honoured Spurs tradition, setting the bar instead of copying others.

People will talk about Levy like the do Bill Nic in 50 years. Some call him a bald cunt because the only thing that matters is whether we will win the title next season.

They have no vision. If we win the title 3 times in the next decade, is that a failure because THIS season we didn't?

Nothing would give me greater pleasure to see Harry Kane, Trippier, Dembele and Harry Winks dancing around with the PL trophy.

For some, it would be exactly the same feeling to see it lifted by Douglas Costa and Lemar, some Sandro fella and Kovacic.

Each to their own

However I will laugh when it is proven that City and Chelsea are operating an unsustainable business model, and Spurs can just carry on without our future depending on the next big financial crash or some billionaire finding a more profitable "project".

I know someone at UEFA who worked on the FFP policy... Complete sham, never going to yield anything more than an occasional headline. Only way these teams will learn is if the Billionaire funding this project gets bored but I have a feeling this isn't the case as it tends to be a retirement project for most.

I think what is likely to have more impact is the Asian market, already we've seen China making some big financial moves, for FIFA they are ok with this as they're all about upping exposure to generate cash from broadcast rights. Every sport is the same, I work for many and know it's their biggest driver... If big European clubs feel China et al are impacting their markets they will pressure the conf fed (UEFA), who will in-turn pressure FIFA to install some more robust FFP policy. Big European clubs will however know it might impact them so this is a long way off. They will spank all their money then look to close it off for others.

Not for the first time you've utterly missed the point. I'm not saying for a second we shouldn't be building a new stadium, or a new training ground, or Spurs Superstore or whatever. Of course we should. I'm saying personally it's not what most moves me. If there was a parallel reality, in which we stayed at 748 High Road and trained at Cheshunt but won a cup every couple of years I'd be over the moon, so would you, so would everyone.

I'm getting tired of repeating myself, and very tired of seeing my opinions, which are every bit as "Tottenham" as anyone else's, completely misrepresented. Reductio ad absurdum Rodney.

For the record once again...

• I don't think we should sign "just anyone". I don't think anyone does.
• I don't think we can or should spend City/Chelsea/United levels. I don't think anyone seriously does.
• I'm not suggesting we "go out and sign Messi". Again, I don't think anyone is.
• I don't think the quality of a player is marked by how much they cost and therefore don't care if the quality signings most agree we need to strengthen our squad cost £3 million or £30 million apiece.
• I don't want to see the likes of Harry Winks jettisoned to make way for a foreign superstar. Once again, I don't think anyone does.

I do think we need to strengthen the squad with 2 or 3 quality signings (ie not prospects). I suspect that the likes of Onoamah, Edwards and so on won't have the impact yet that some think. Or some may and others won't. That seems perfectly natural and in line with how we know football works.

From the get-go I've said we should...
• Identify viable targets that improve the squad overall, give cover and offer real competition
• Swiftly negotiate a deal that all sides can live with
• Incorporate the new player(s) into the group as soon as possible

Now, back to seeing the above completely misrepresented and ridiculed
fucking gooner, wind up, troll HATER!

(How was that?)

Bill you make good points and post your views intelligently and with dignity. Ignore the bickering children and carry on regardless.

I personally don't fear the season starting with the same squad, and would welcome positive additions in the same way that I am happy to see Poch thin out the players that he doesn't want.
Like you, I don't believe that all these youngsters will turn into new shining stars, for starters - you only make it good if your first name is Harry and you only have one surname.

You should see the vitriolic abuse I took for suggesting that Bentaleb wasn't the new messiah by some bozo that thought he knew everything. When you have seen 50 seasons of new and emerging footballers you tend to be able to single out the ones that will break the mould and thrive. A fact lost on the smart arses that think they have a magic gift for talent spotting

Where there is a will there is a way .

Will has gone to Watford mate

DDGO2GeXgAALvKL.jpg

Couldn't the same be said for putting all of your faith in the academy? All player additions are gambles whether they're transfers or promotions from within. Wouldn't it be a good idea to find a balance between buying and promoting players? It's like sammy who's gone on this witch-hunt against scott, john thomas and me, saying we want City-like spending and we're against promoting youth players and we're not Tottenham fans because we want transfers. In reality we just think that on the basis of last season we could do with additions to the squad so we'd be more competitive in all competitions
Nobody is putting "all of [our] faith in the academy". Stop advancing a straw man.The arguments being challenged are:-

1) That we are not competing because we have yet to make a signing;

2) That in order to add depth to our squad we must buy expensive players;

3) That this window we should be paying higher wages to incoming players in order to competing;

4) That if we don't we end up stagnating;

5) That basically Levy runs the club badly.

Nobody has suggested that making one signing or more would be detrimental. It is the manner in which it is done and the alternatives in the event that suitable players aren't found. It's the scattergun approach that is being argued against. In fact I put a signing scenario to John Thomas John Thomas to see what he would see as sufficient and he has flat out bottled out of answering no less than three times. If your and your ilk want to come on here and moan about Levy and signings, how about telling us what you think would be enough to satisfy you? Instead, yellow belly streaks of camel piss like dearest John hide behind the disagree button when they can't back up their own arguments. You want to be associated with that sort of weak argument (or lack thereof)? Go right ahead.

I think what you refer to is best exemplified with the statement on these here boards saying "if we'd signed a pacy attacking player with goals in him we'd have won the league" (or something to that effect), when we know how much our pacy 14 goals in 2063 minutes attacking mid Son contributed during the season, a player who'd probably not have been given the chances he got had we bought an "upgrade" on him. I'd say a realistic scenario would be that the "upgrade", pacy winger X, would not have done as well as Son, and that such an acquisition would have actually cost us points and possibly our second place position.

Partly because Son was phenomenal: 14 goals puts him behind only three other AMs (Sanchez, who played centre forward most of his games, Alli and Hazard). And partly because new players mostly takes a lot of time to adjust to Poch's requirements.
Plus, who is a pacey winger, where is he coming from and is he prepared to act as a squad player with our first 11 already settled?

Chances are you'd have to look for someone young and up coming and someone who will accept average wages. Those players take time to find, and that's only if they are available. So the moaners would still be out because he's not a star name and wasn't signed for £160 gazillion in the first week of the transfer window.

Side note. Anyone else see on the Spurs Facebook the players have a sing along to all our favourite chants with the help of a country singer in Nashville. I could not find a YouTube link but is a good watch. Really shows the squad unity and them having a laugh together. Might be on twitter to but I don't do tweets.

Side note. Anyone else see on the Spurs Facebook the players have a sing along to all our favourite chants with the help of a country singer in Nashville. I could not find a YouTube link but is a good watch. Really shows the squad unity and them having a laugh together. Might be on twitter to but I don't do tweets.

:adesalute:
Spurs Videos thread is all the way over there brother

Not for the first time you've utterly missed the point. I'm not saying for a second we shouldn't be building a new stadium, or a new training ground, or Spurs Superstore or whatever. Of course we should. I'm saying personally it's not what most moves me. If there was a parallel reality, in which we stayed at 748 High Road and trained at Cheshunt but won a cup every couple of years I'd be over the moon, so would you, so would everyone.

I'm getting tired of repeating myself, and very tired of seeing my opinions, which are every bit as "Tottenham" as anyone else's, completely misrepresented. Reductio ad absurdum Rodney.

For the record once again...

• I don't think we should sign "just anyone". I don't think anyone does.
• I don't think we can or should spend City/Chelsea/United levels. I don't think anyone seriously does.
• I'm not suggesting we "go out and sign Messi". Again, I don't think anyone is.
• I don't think the quality of a player is marked by how much they cost and therefore don't care if the quality signings most agree we need to strengthen our squad cost £3 million or £30 million apiece.
• I don't want to see the likes of Harry Winks jettisoned to make way for a foreign superstar. Once again, I don't think anyone does.

I do think we need to strengthen the squad with 2 or 3 quality signings (ie not prospects). I suspect that the likes of Onomah, Edwards and so on won't have the impact yet that some think. Or some may and others won't. That seems perfectly natural and in line with how we know football works.

From the get-go I've said we should...
• Identify viable targets that improve the squad overall, give cover and offer real competition
• Swiftly negotiate a deal that all sides can live with
• Incorporate the new player(s) into the group as soon as possible

Now, back to seeing the above completely misrepresented and ridiculed
What makes you think we haven't identified targets? What makes you think we haven't tried to sign them already? You seem convinced that Levy has to pay whatever is demanded of the club just to placate you with an early signing. But then you also say the deal should be "what both sides can live with", despite knowing that Levy won't pay over the odds for the sake of it. You don't have a clue what has gone on behind the scenes and are making judgments about the club's conduct in ignorance - and you are doing it for one reason only. You have deemed the lack of signings so far to mean that all the things you say we should be doing we haven't been - and it's all because you are impatient for a signing.

As for your comments about the stadium and training ground, you flat out said you don't care about them and that a team training on Hackney marshes could win a title, therefore the obvious implication was that they were unnecessary. You also had the cheek to say that they were not evidence of "daring to do". I find the backtracking on this hilarious.

What makes you think we haven't identified targets? What makes you think we haven't tried to sign them already? You seem convinced that Levy has to pay whatever is demanded of the club just to placate you with an early signing. But then you also say the deal should be "what both sides can live with", despite knowing that Levy won't pay over the odds for the sake of it. You don't have a clue what has gone on behind the scenes and are making judgments about the club's conduct in ignorance - and you are doing it for one reason only. You have deemed the lack of signings so far to mean that all the things you say we should be doing we haven't been - and it's all because you are impatient for a signing.

As for your comments about the stadium and training ground, you flat out said you don't care about them and that a team training on Hackney marshes could win a title, therefore the obvious implication was that they were unnecessary. You also had the cheek to say that they were not evidence of "daring to do". I find the backtracking on this hilarious.
You have missed every point so spectacularly and misrepresented all of my arguments that there is little point in even debating things with you.

Lets just agree that you are considerably more Tottenham then I am and leave it at that

You have missed every point so spectacularly that there is little point in even debating things with you.

Lets just agree that you are considerably more Tottenham then I am and leave it at that
I haven't missed the point at all. You set it out nicely. I just think it's a load of shite. But of course, we must be illiterate plebs for not being able to articulate the deep words from the wise sage in Madrid. :pochsmirk:

As for the dick measuring contest over who is more of a fan - grow the fuck up. :pochfacepalm:

I'm not sure why it all just crashed at Dortmund

I don't think it's correct to say that it has crashed. Once the rise to the top turned to an extremely potent, succesful side, they got milked for talent and had to reproduce. Now they lose their best few players regularly, and have to replace them with exciting potential. They also lost their head honcho, who was probably pulling a lot of important strings in the clubs. Things like that will cause a fluctuation in form and results. It doesn't change the fact though, that they are still an exciting team, mostly challenging Bayern in Germany, mostly doing well in Europe. And they do well while developing new, exciting talent. To me, that's the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom