Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is full of self righteous deluded moral superiority.
If we signed a Isco , we would be estatic, someone who could get us over the line . Like a prime VDV,
would lift us , even unite us.
Where there is a will there is a way .

Then, I'm sorry to say, you're a bit of a numpty. It is such an important piece of the puzzle. Even if Levy sells up he will sell up a club with a world class stadium and training ground and will only sell to someone who can take that and build on it. Don't you see that? "Don't care about the stadium"? Silly, silly remark.

Flat out idiotic. So building on the system that gave us players like Kane isn't worth caring about? Making sure out players are fitter and have fewer injuries isn't worthwhile? Un-fucking-believable.

Set out all the massive money signings Bill Nick made then.
Not for the first time you've utterly missed the point. I'm not saying for a second we shouldn't be building a new stadium, or a new training ground, or Spurs Superstore or whatever. Of course we should. I'm saying personally it's not what most moves me. If there was a parallel reality, in which we stayed at 748 High Road and trained at Cheshunt but won a cup every couple of years I'd be over the moon, so would you, so would everyone.

I'm getting tired of repeating myself, and very tired of seeing my opinions, which are every bit as "Tottenham" as anyone else's, completely misrepresented. Reductio ad absurdum Rodney.

For the record once again...

• I don't think we should sign "just anyone". I don't think anyone does.
• I don't think we can or should spend City/Chelsea/United levels. I don't think anyone seriously does.
• I'm not suggesting we "go out and sign Messi". Again, I don't think anyone is.
• I don't think the quality of a player is marked by how much they cost and therefore don't care if the quality signings most agree we need to strengthen our squad cost £3 million or £30 million apiece.
• I don't want to see the likes of Harry Winks jettisoned to make way for a foreign superstar. Once again, I don't think anyone does.

I do think we need to strengthen the squad with 2 or 3 quality signings (ie not prospects). I suspect that the likes of Onomah, Edwards and so on won't have the impact yet that some think. Or some may and others won't. That seems perfectly natural and in line with how we know football works.

From the get-go I've said we should...
• Identify viable targets that improve the squad overall, give cover and offer real competition
• Swiftly negotiate a deal that all sides can live with
• Incorporate the new player(s) into the group as soon as possible

Now, back to seeing the above completely misrepresented and ridiculed

Last edited:
Chelsea might be in for Barkley now according to BBC Sport.

If true that's the most "buy him to stop rivals buying him" move they've made yet.

Tbf they have an AM shortage for a few weeks, with Haz and Ped out. Fits the purchasing philosophy of some of our lads on here: If you have injuries for a few weeks you need to buy 40M 150k pr week backup for the backup.

will try and keep this short.

1. We didn't fade last season but lost too many points early on. We start this season with the same squad that achieved that (Trippier played lots of mins). This means no settling in but normal service resumed. I believe these teams full of new singing will take a while to really gel.

2. If we sign anyone they would be integrated slowly, can't remember a signing Poch has made that he's chucked in from the start. I'm fine with this as any new player needs to learn the system - it's the most important thing to our game

3. I don't think any fan would complain at singing the likes of Isco but we know a player of this ilk comes with huge demands that we simply wont meet, partly due to lack of funds and partly as to not upset our top players. Why satisfy one player and upset the rest - pure madness. Lets also not forget these players are human. Have you ever been leapfrogged by an outsider at work or had the idea touted? It's an awful feeling and one lots of players must dread. If we're not taking about signings they can stay focused and get on with their job.

4. Whilst we're consistently in the top four challenging I don't see a player leaving 'to win something' as truth be told most teams in the top four have an equal chance so it's only the lure of money that would make a player leave. This means we have to remain competitive.

5. We have what appears to be some loyal players but I worry about the significance of the new ground to them. As fans most cannot wait. But as an employee of a company how would you feel about moving to new offices? Would it make you stay at a company rather than a 100% pay rise at a competitors? So i'm not sure the lure of the new ground makes as bigger difference to the players as we think.

6. Leicester pulled off a freak win. Their fans are mostly gutted about them still being a laughing stock - why is this? Crap low league facilities and a one-off season. If we win something once our stadium is built we HAVE to be taken seriously. Best ground in Europe, Best training facilities in Europe, huge sponsorship deals, NFL deal and a trophy. Other teams will be envious and very worried that a team built on decent values, doing things the right way, not funded by a wealthy individual has blown them out of the water. It will be back to the drawing board for a lot of clubs as they try and replicate the only model sustainable within today's game

For me I would like another 2-3 young prospects signed that are close to making the squad, who are happy to learn and assist. I much prefer a player rising with less pressure, than a big named Charlie flopping grabbing all the headlines. Lets keep things low key and blow the competition out of the water.

As someone said in the podcast, I wasn't that thrilled when we were first linked to young Ross but the idea has grown on me I have to say. I think it's pretty clear that Pochettino wants him and that we're working on it (this story will have been fed to Matt Hughes by Spurs in all likelihood) which is fine with me, he seems to tick all the right boxes - young, fit, versatile, "right personality" (as far as any of us know) etc.

How long do groin strains take, assuming he actually has one and it isn't a Bale-type injury? About 3 weeks? That should have him there or thereabouts for the start of the season...

I just find it astonishing that after blowing the Bale money on so many big money signings and making no progression that people still argue the trick is just to go and spunk on expensive players aimlessly.

Where is the fucking logic in saying we will improve if we sign X number or type players? It's a gamble so therefore to say it will win us the title is pure and utter speculation. The whole fucking argument is premised on pure uncertainty.
Couldn't the same be said for putting all of your faith in the academy? All player additions are gambles whether they're transfers or promotions from within. Wouldn't it be a good idea to find a balance between buying and promoting players? It's like sammy who's gone on this witch-hunt against scott, john thomas and me, saying we want City-like spending and we're against promoting youth players and we're not Tottenham fans because we want transfers. In reality we just think that on the basis of last season we could do with additions to the squad so we'd be more competitive in all competitions

2) This one one goes back years, to the Jol era probably. There have now been a number of times where we have metaphorically had our foot on a rival's throat (these have varied over the years) and failed to go in for the kill. We now have our foot on a number of rivals' throats and are similarly failing.
In short, we dont dare to do.

Based on our current situation, our last two seasons, can you see that perhaps he was wise not to gamble on a risky killing-blow attempt back then? If we'd gone tits out and gambled on getting the most attractive player out there back then it could've backfired and set us back.

What could've happened if he'd acted differently will always be hypothetical. What has happened is factual. I think very few, if any, among us saw the success we've had the last few seasons coming. And it seems sustainable, and it's done by using academy products, the youngest team in the league, with the most English internationals.

We should be ecstatic, and we should give the people in charge credit for it.

Give it a rest mate. Dortmund and Atletico win trophies there's a big difference. Spurs don't win trophies end of story.

Dortmund hadn't won anything for 10 years and then their policy yielded them back to back titles.....and then haven't since.

I'm sure in the years leading up to their triumphs there were one or two German muppets claiming that homegrown academy players was a waste of time and they would never win anything with their rubbish transfer policy.......

Oh well, look what happened......they were the best in the land and all their players still wanted to fuck off for more money, to bigger clubs, and the manager jumped ship too.

You can't cater for that unless you have a system that keeps feeding the club with new homegrown talent and building largely from within.

Seems like Dortmund haven't done that, I don't know?

However I will laugh when it is proven that City and Chelsea are operating an unsustainable business model, and Spurs can just carry on without our future depending on the next big financial crash or some billionaire finding a more profitable "project".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom