Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Strange thing to be offended by.
still burning me with your straw man argument eh?
I make a joke about your choice of words and you brand it homphobic, and then try to make a case against me for something in your tiny mind.

Nice.

If I had known you were homosexual, perhaps I wouldn't have made the joke, I know how sensitive some of you can be about us straight people making jokes.

Given that this is a thread about transfers, why don't you take your accusations and childish posts to the off topic section? On that basis I'll not respond to anything else from you, unless its about transfer philiosophy in here.

Probably been said but we have a team full of marque players. If we spend 5,10,15 million on another player who turns into a Dier,Dele,Toby, Wanyama or Eriksen type, then I would be delighted. Who wouldn't?
None of those players came here for big figures & the players who have been "big money signings" haven't really set the world alight...I can only think recently of Sonny & even he struggled in his first season.
We have (by & large) boxed clever in a market where paying over the odds has become the norm.
It's frustrating that any targets have not been snapped up by now, but only insofar as it gives Poch less time pre season.

The key for me was always keeping the current bunch together & with one notable exception we've achieved that so far. I'd be far happier tying Toby down to a new & improved contract, & getting in a ready to go RB as support for Trippier rather than spunking the budget on an expensive name who would expect top dollar wages & to walk into the team. Poch doesn't work like that & any incomings would have to force their way into what is already a very good team.

I'm sure we will continue to box clever & continue to be the envy of most.

COYS
Order of priority.
1) toby new contract
2) RB
3) An explosive attacking player
4) Another young player for the future

Whatever Eriksen and Pochettino say, its unlikely to be in an academic paper postulating a correlation between success and transfer window spending for example. Much more likely to be in response to a leading question from a dull-witted hack "Do you think Spurs should spend big Christian?" hoping for a juicy quote.

These days players and coaches, especially those from Europe, are well instructed to play a dead bat to such fuckwittery. "Great squad" "Have to keep working hard" "Trust in the gaffer and the lads". For the older among you it's the interview equivalent of watching Boycott on Day 3 with England four wickets down, Forward defensive, forward defensive, forward defensive, all afternoon.

They're hardly likely to answer "Fuck me me they should. Levy, if you're listening, stop fucking schnorring and get your wedge on the table, you tight cunt"

See City spending has now hit 175 million with 3 or 4 players more that they are looking at.

I mean what is the minimun that fcuking cry baby Guardiola should be expected to win? Unfcuking believable sums and with it insane expectation.

It is not even about competing with that but looking at it with disdain on the one hand a hoping perspective for our club can be maintained on the other.

Really difficult tbough.
We just have to make sure if all the big boys mess up, we are in a position to pounce & take advantage of this.
If city play amazing & fly to the title, it is not a bad reflection on us or what we do.

It's amazing isn't it.....he used signing a player after our best season in history as an example of buying to improve, when after that we never achieved the same level again.
I hope you are not suggesting that Jimmy Greaves our greatest goalscorer did not improve the team. As Mick Cooper said there were other reasons for not winning the league but we did win the FA Cup again when it meant more than today and got to the Semi final of the European Cup.

But we do spend money. Where did Sissoko, Janssen and Wanyama come from? Just because we balance it with outgoings doesn't mean we don't spend. You're talking about going into debt when we've got a fuck off great stadium to pay for. Yes, I know it's not my money, but the debt incurred by the stadium build will have to be paid off. That, unfortunately for many, is a fact.
The point I'm trying to make Joe is that we don't hold this moral high ground many on here would have us believe. Were not promoting youth ahead of signings because of some purist ethical agenda, we're doing it that way because it's cheaper. It suits our business model. Take the Walker sale. (whether we should have sold him at all is another argument). Levy did all he could to get in inflated price for him. He knew city needed a RB and milked them for every penny. Everyone on here, me included, would say he was right to do so. But by extorting the price as he did, he himself is contributing to the the crazy transfer market that so many of us, and the club itself, seem proud to be seen as not being part of. We actively encourage extortionate transfer fees, while always missing out on players because of the low ball approach we adopt ourselves. There's no getting away from it in my opinion. The club is milking the market and I don't see us as this bastion of purity I'm afraid. I see us an extremely well run business model milking an extremely loyal and passionate fan base by charging CL club prices but not prepared to give us a bit back once in a while. Fan loyalty is priceless at the end of the day

And yet other clubs manage to do so.
For the nth time, in case anyone is wondering, this has nothing to do with what people think of Lacazette or Joe Hart or Morata or Jay Rodriguez or whoever it is. The point is that the clubs in question have applied my cunning three-step plan
If we wanted Rodriguez we would have got him, no problem.
It boils down to one thing, people have to understand, wages.
Lacazette would not have gone to Woolwich if Atletico could have bought him.
Obviously none of the other big money boys were interested, and Woolwich is more money and London.
What if we would have signed Bakayoko last year, no cunt noticed him as he was rather anonymous the year before when we played Monaco.
Who noticed Lemar in 15/16. He played against us twice..
Didn't hear anyone raving about signing him last season.

If we would have signed both people summer 16 most would have been slagging the ambition of buying players a second fiddle team of ours walked over at WHL, nobodies. Cheap options who may come good.
Now look.

But we do spend money. Where did Sissoko, Janssen and Wanyama come from? Just because we balance it with outgoings doesn't mean we don't spend. You're talking about going into debt when we've got a fuck off great stadium to pay for. Yes, I know it's not my money, but the debt incurred by the stadium build will have to be paid off. That, unfortunately for many, is a fact.
Exactly.
Everton have spent bundles this summer, what ambition and financial backing by the owner.
Hold on, they haven't spent anything, they are about £7m up net on transfers.
They have sold £94m and bought £87m

They also spent loads last year, oh no, it was less than us last season net. They sold Stones.
Doubt if they would have even spent £21m net last season if they didn't.

The point I'm trying to make Joe is that we don't hold this moral high ground many on here would have us believe. Were not promoting youth ahead of signings because of some purist ethical agenda, we're doing it that way because it's cheaper. It suits our business model. Take the Walker sale. (whether we should have sold him at all is another argument). Levy did all he could to get in inflated price for him. He knew city needed a RB and milked them for every penny. Everyone on here, me included, would say he was right to do so. But by extorting the price as he did, he himself is contributing to the the crazy transfer market that so many of us seem proud to be seen as not being part of. We actively encourage extortionate transfer fees, while always missing out on players because of the low ball approach we adopt ourselves. There's no getting away from it in my opinion. The club is milking the market and I don't see us as this bastion of purity I'm afraid. I see us an extremely well run business model milking an extremely loyal and passionate fan base by charging CL club prices but not prepared to give us a bit back once in a while. Fan loyalty is priceless at the end of the day

Fair enough John, that's your opinion and I'm fine with that. All I would say is that I've never seen a better Tottenham team in my lifetime. I genuinely think Poch believes that our current approach is the most likely to yield success. There is no evidence to suggest that a spend of say, £300m over the last 3 seasons would have had us playing any better. There's a lot to be said for a settled squad with great team spirit, bolstered with the odd shrewd signing - look what happened with the Bale money?

On your point about CL prices, I thought the club did give a bit back to the fans - the pricing for the packages and individual match tickets was more than fair.

If we wanted Rodriguez we would have got him, no problem.
It boils down to one thing, people have to understand, wages.
Lacazette would not have gone to Woolwich if Atletico could have bought him.
Obviously none of the other big money boys were interested, and Woolwich is more money and London.
What if we would have signed Bakayoko last year, no cunt noticed him as he was rather anonymous the year before when we played Monaco.
Who noticed Lemar in 15/16. He played against us twice..
Didn't hear anyone raving about signing him last season.

If we would have signed both people summer 16 most would have been slagging the ambition of buying players a second fiddle team of ours walked over at WHL, nobodies. Cheap options who may come good.
Now look.
Wages+transfer fee = what we spend.
But some on here won't agree with you because they believe wages don't count towards what you spend on transfers.

It will be interesting to find out how much toby want's before he will sign.

The point I'm trying to make Joe is that we don't hold this moral high ground many on here would have us believe. Were not promoting youth ahead of signings because of some purist ethical agenda, we're doing it that way because it's cheaper. It suits our business model.

Bullshit.

That's ignoring the fact that Pochettino has done it in every management role he's ever had.

You're distorting the truth to suit yourself.

Even worse.
raw

Bullshit.

That's ignoring the fact that Pochettino has done it in every management role he's ever had.

You're distorting the truth to suit yourself.
But he hasn't been at clubs as rich as us either. So we can't say for sure either way.

We don't even know how much of a say poch has in signings.
Or if levy gives him a budget or not.

I hope you are not suggesting that Jimmy Greaves our greatest goalscorer did not improve the team. As Mick Cooper said there were other reasons for not winning the league but we did win the FA Cup again when it meant more than today and got to the Semi final of the European Cup.
Read my following posts.

It was a direct response to a post which was factually incorrect in suggesting that Greaves was part of the double team.

That is all.

Whatever Eriksen and Pochettino say, its unlikely to be in an academic paper postulating a correlation between success and transfer window spending for example. Much more likely to be in response to a leading question from a dull-witted hack "Do you think Spurs should spend big Christian?" hoping for a juicy quote.

These days players and coaches, especially those from Europe, are well instructed to play a dead bat to such fuckwittery. "Great squad" "Have to keep working hard" "Trust in the gaffer and the lads". For the older among you it's the interview equivalent of watching Boycott on Day 3 with England four wickets down, Forward defensive, forward defensive, forward defensive, all afternoon.

They're hardly likely to answer "Fuck me me they should. Levy, if you're listening, stop fucking schnorring and get your wedge on the table, you tight cunt"
Sooooo......dismiss if it doesn't suit you and use as gospel if it does.

The old forum rule of thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom