Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Point taken, they're all short fuckers. I just find it amusing that after double-checking those height figures it seems that you managed to get every single one of them wrong.

Messi is 5'7"
Maradona was 5'5"
Pirlo is 5'10"
Augero is 5'8"
Xavi is 5'7"
Modric is 5'9"
Ribery is 5'7"
Lahm is 5'7"
Sanchez is 5'7"

"Messi is 5'7"

Google says 5'5.5.

messi height - Google Search

1.7m in feet - Google Search

Lionel Messi Player Profile - ESPN FC

"Aguero is 5'8"

aguero height - Google Search

1.73m in feet - Google Search

Sergio Agüero Player Profile - ESPN FC

If I got them wrong, blame google and ESPN. I searched the height of every one and then used their conversion.

Either way, an inch here or there isn't really the point. The point is none of them are giants.

P.S Sanchez 5'7? Give me a break.

P.S.S I'm a manlet and I've stood next to Aguero and felt tall. 5'8 my ass.

Last edited:
Be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit envious of the money Everton are spending. 30m for Sigurdsen is the latest apparently!

Obviously we are building the stadium and they are spending the lukaku money (or at least it's covering some of the spending).

We don't need to add much but it'd be nice to see us show a little bit of intent and get one quality player in soon.

It'd be fascinating to know exactly what does go on behind the scenes at the club with regards to transfers. I can see the usual scenario of the season starting and us bemoaning once again that the bloody window doesn't close BEFORE it all kicks off.

Point taken, they're all short fuckers. I just find it amusing that after double-checking those height figures it seems that you managed to get every single one of them wrong.

Messi is 5'7"
Maradona was 5'5"
Pirlo is 5'10"
Augero is 5'8"
Xavi is 5'7"
Modric is 5'9"
Ribery is 5'7"
Lahm is 5'7"
Sanchez is 5'7"

Wilshere 4'6"

So don't gimme that "won't make it" balls. Hopefully he comes with little man syndrome too.

Be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit envious of the money Everton are spending. 30m for Sigurdsen is the latest apparently!

Obviously we are building the stadium and they are spending the lukaku money (or at least it's covering some of the spending).

We don't need to add much but it'd be nice to see us show a little bit of intent and get one quality player in soon.

It'd be fascinating to know exactly what does go on behind the scenes at the club with regards to transfers. I can see the usual scenario of the season starting and us bemoaning once again that the bloody window doesn't close BEFORE it all kicks off.

Interestingly I was going to post something on this but haven't got round to it. Do you think the frustration by some on here or nerves is largely due to Everton spending big on some players that only a few years ago we would have also been chasing?

I saying that as for as I always felt for a long time that our 2 clubs were fighting similar battles trying to compete with a neighbour with more recent success who had CL money to spend, trying to improve from 5/6th place to higher etc.

We have moving on from that but they are still playing catch up but now with some serious backing it seems (although be interesting to see how long it lasts if it doesn't work out this season or next).

Although the other top clubs in England are reportedly pursuing players, apart from Everton there are not many completed tranfers so far and this is making people look over their shoulder as what may be coming up behind us (in a league table kind of way).

Interestingly I was going to post something on this but haven't got round to it. Do you think the frustration by some on here or nerves is largely due to Everton spending big on some players that only a few years ago we would have also been chasing?

I saying that as for as I always felt for a long time that our 2 clubs were fighting similar battles trying to compete with a neighbour with more recent success who had CL money to spend, trying to improve from 5/6th place to higher etc.

We have moving on from that but they are still playing catch up but now with some serious backing it seems (although be interesting to see how long it lasts if it doesn't work out this season or next).

Although the other top clubs in England are reportedly pursuing players, apart from Everton there are not many completed tranfers so far and this is making people look over their shoulder as what may be coming up behind us (in a league table kind of way).
Yeah I do look at Everton as being in a similar position to us over the last 5-10 years. We've stollen the march and made much better progress on and off the field but it does make me a little nervous to see them continue to move in the right direction.

It's tough enough with 6 clubs fighting for the top4/title each year as things stand and I wouldn't welcome yet another club joining that group while we are still in a trying to cement our own position.

Yeah I do look at Everton as being in a similar position to us over the last 5-10 years. We've stollen the march and made much better progress on and off the field but it does make me a little nervous to see them continue to move in the right direction.

It's tough enough with 6 clubs fighting for the top4/title each year as things stand and I wouldn't welcome yet another club joining that group while we are still in a trying to cement our own position.
Think there signing too many now in one window, nearly a complete team worth of players like we did the summer Bale left.

39 years ago today we dared to do and signed Ossie and Ricky, these days we're more interested in designer cheese bars...

PA-1184015.jpg

Interesting post. I'd agree that our clubs are quite comparable.

I'm not concerned about their spending spree one bit though. None of the players they have signed or are linked to are players that make me envious.

What makes me uneasy is (if the numbers quoted are correct) the wages they are offering.
Rooney £150k a week.
Siggy £135k a week.
Etc

We surely must be able to compete with teams like Everton in terms of wages? It's a bad do, imo, when a past it Rooney & a player we sold to Swansea are earning more than Kane & Eriksen.

I like the way we have rewarded performances with improved contracts, but it's not a model other clubs follow & it does worry me that our players could become discontent with the riches in the PL that seem to be attainable outside THFC

Right so if Ross Barkley is our number 1 target and Judging by various sources it seems Poch wants him badly then please levy stop fucking around trying to penny pinch and just buy him!!!!!!!! Everton clearly are planning life without him and if we are not careful, another club will come in and buy him leaving our manager frustrated. All this messing around doesn't help anyone and we just need to get our bussiness down now. Get the guy in so he can get a proper pre season with the club.

We should easily be matching Everton s
wage structure in this day of endless premier dosh.
Yes the stadium, but we are not spending on transfers big compared to others all round us .
Our progress is down to the brilliance of our Argie baby face goucho.
We have to pay near the going rate or eventually we will pay the price on the footballing side. There is no loyalty in football long term.

Right so if Ross Barkley is our number 1 target and Judging by various sources it seems Poch wants him badly then please levy stop fucking around trying to penny pinch and just buy him!!!!!!!! Everton clearly are planning life without him and if we are not careful, another club will come in and buy him leaving our manager frustrated. All this messing around doesn't help anyone and we just need to get our bussiness down now. Get the guy in so he can get a proper pre season with the club.
This might be more a case of everton telling us they want to conclude Siggy deal before talking to us about Barkley.

This might be more a case of everton telling us they want to conclude Siggy deal before talking to us about Barkley.

I'm so confused on the situation. So much points towards him leaving, and he is a Nike athlete, but then I saw this which made me think he'll stay there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom