Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian-Bassogog060117300.jpg

No way this guy is 21 years old...

ridiculous
_94740188_mediaitem94740183.jpg

Trippier had something like 5 assists in 5 starts last season. How is that low percentage. You really are a bore when it come to this bollocks about crossing and set pieces being a waste of time.

Trippier doesn't cross any more or less than Walker. Walker crosses just as much accept they aren't very good. Yes he might beat a player but that's invariably followed by a cross (and his crosses are low percentage).

Beckham never beat a man because he didn't need to and he made a career out of being one of the best crossers on the planet.
Low percentage means if he takes 100 fucking crosses and get 3 assists it's 3% success rate. That's called low, that is what low is, they don't come off that often.

If it bores you why read it? Why comment on it? Why bother to respond and engage? Why look to provoke a response, a response to a post you aren't even engaged with? Why? I suspect your are interested. I suspect you were made to look a twat the last time you attempted to engage on the subject. I suspect you are boiling about it and have been lurking in the shadows waiting for your big moment. Go for it big boy your moment has arrived.

Just wish we would sign the Lamela replacement as soon as possbile. Meyer, Barkley, whoever it may be, but we need somebody new at that position. Somebody who can create chances.

After that, we need to be patient. It's difficult to strengthen this squad while also considering the talent Onomah and Walker-Peters possess.

I think your hatred of crosses clouds your vision. Trippier had five assists in 533 minutes in PL 16/17. That is probably higher than anyone having played anywhere near that amount of time or more.

I get that crosses are low chance, if you look at all crosses, by anyone, in any situation. Every possession of the ball has a low chance of turning into a goal as well. That doesn't mean we should stop giving Eriksen possession of the ball near the opponents box. Likewise, Trippier should be encouraged to cross the ball when he's in a good position to do so. He does it very well.
I don't hate them per se, they should be executed, provide variation and keeps the oppo unsettled, makes it hard to know how to set up against it (e.g. you always knew Townsend would cut in, easy to defend against it when you know it's coming). When Trippier plays he should keep doing it, as he doesn't have the skill set to beat a player with the ball at his feet, so if he doesn't cross he then he produces the square route of fuck all. For him to improve, and more specifically improve us as a team when he plays (provide more balance like when Walker/Rose play) he should look for the pull back, the shorter pass, he can do this if we play a ball over the top for him to run onto. I'd like to see him do that more often.

Low percentage means if he takes 100 fucking crosses and get 3 assists it's 3% success rate. That's called low, that is what low is, they don't come off that often.
I feel like you're a bit jumbled up on the value of crosses and corners.

Sure they are low percentage, but because of the ease of creating one of those chances they are high volume, which in turn makes them high yield in terms of total goals scored over a season.

'Pool scored nearly 10% of their 70 odd goals from corners last term.

Think of it this way... remember the soft Spurs of late 90s / early 00s... those games where we'd desperately try and hold a point from someone like United in the final 20 mins. We eventually broke down, time after time as they relentlessly put chances into our box. Sure it took a lot of efforts, but we nearly exclusively always lost when we allowed that type of pressure and the goals came not through the middle but from the wing.

If prices start getting silly over Barkley think we're be better off spending the money on Redmond or Gray imo.

I feel like you're a bit jumbled up on the value of crosses and corners.

Sure they are low percentage, but because of the ease of creating one of those chances they are high volume, which in turn makes them high yield in terms of total goals scored over a season.

'Pool scored nearly 10% of their 70 odd goals from corners last term.

Think of it this way... remember the soft Spurs of late 90s / early 00s... those games where we'd desperately try and hold a point from someone like United in the final 20 mins. We eventually broke down, time after time as they relentlessly put chances into our box. Sure it took a lot of efforts, but we nearly exclusively always lost when we allowed that type of pressure and the goals came not through the middle but from the wing.
I wish I could find it, I'll keep looking, but someone did a full analysis of every team last year (it was in poxy German though) it showed the most prolific side in the World to score from crosses last season was Real Madrid (fairly sure it was on open play, not corners) and it was about 5% (please don't quote me on this I can't remember the exact number) of their crosses resulted in goals, they were over double better then the next team in the world which was the other startling thing.

Interesting on the 90's/00's analogy, yes I remember it well. The major difference then is I think would be teams were 4-4-2 back then, playing with orthodox wingers and always at least two men in the box. The most prolific teams back then all had the best exponents in CF's and wingers Man U, Newcastle, Blackburn, Liverpool spring to mind. Other than that most teams including us were shite in these area's by comparison.

It's hard to compare different era's against one another but on paper one of the best 4-4-2 sides that played with wide traditional wingers today is, don't laugh, but Palace?? (Zaha, Townsend, Benteke with Puncheon (lol) as almost 2nd striker) but they couldn't make this work against sides who overload the wings with FB's and a wide midfield tucking in.

It's hard to compare different era's against one another but on paper one of the best 4-4-2 sides that played with wide traditional wingers today is, don't laugh, but Palace?? (Zaha, Townsend, Benteke with Puncheon (lol) as almost 2nd striker) but they couldn't make this work against sides who overload the wings with FB's and a wide midfield tucking in.
Agreed, but it's all just a numbers game in the end. If a team leaves space out wide over and again, punish them with crosses until one sticks rather than trying to play through a congested middle.

Apparently, Mbappe doesn't have to worry about playing time for RM, as they are going to sell one of the big stars.

1. July, Bale will be revealed with our new kit. Ye?

No.

Why would we want a player that would obliterate our wage structure, then spent the season in and out of the treatment room? He represents what used to be wrong with the team, not what was right.

If it bores you why read it? Why comment on it? Why bother to respond and engage? Why look to provoke a response, a response to a post you aren't even engaged with? Why? I suspect your are interested. I suspect you were made to look a twat the last time you attempted to engage on the subject. I suspect you are boiling about it and have been lurking in the shadows waiting for your big moment. Go for it big boy your moment has arrived.
Last time I believe u were made to look a twat when totti provided stats proving we were right down the bottom of the "goals from corners" stats proving it is reasonable to criticise Eriksens deliveries. You of course went awfully quiet at that point tho.

Ur right tho I shouldn't have bothered commenting but the temptation to put u in ur place again was too enticing.

Last edited:

Oh and yes 3 goals from 100 crosses is low. Of course it's also a totally made up statistic. Pretty sure Trippier didn't put in 100 crosses in 5 games so I'd say his ratio is some what better than that.

We're being linked to Suso again.

Not sure what this one is about - I don't recall him being a stand-out performer for Liverpool or Milan, and he's been shipped out on loan there. Doesn't sound like a improvement on the likes of Winks.

Last time I believe u were made to look a twat when totti provided stats proving we were right down the bottom of the "goals from corners" stats proving it is reasonable to criticise Eriksens deliveries. You of course went awfully quiet at that point tho.

Ur right tho I shouldn't have bother commenting but the temptation to put u in ur place again was too enticing.
Oh look who's back, can't stop posting on a subject he finds boring.

Totti posted a list of goals scored from corners by all teams in the League last year. He also posted that WBA scored the most with 12 goals. You then posted with glee that argument was won. I then took a look at WBA's stats and posted this:
"they ave 9.74 per game (370.12 corners) = 3.25% of their corners resulted in a goal, +0.25% above average".

Which shows without any fucking doubt that the most successful team in the League at scoring from corners has a fucking success rate of 3.25%, which is fucking shit and is only 0.25% better than the average. Which is the fucking point being made.

Please mate, stop this now. People hated it the last time and here you are yet again being a cunt. Please fuck off and embarrass yourself on another topic, I think this one has been done between you and I. I seem to be able to engage on this subject with other people without a problem, everyone respecting the others opinions and bringing a reasonable claim to support theirs, you on the other hand are incapable of this. So, for the last time fuck off.

*Apologies to everyone else who has to wade through this shite. I'll refrain from engaging with this wanker on this topic again.

I think I speak for most of us "who think our first eleven can't be improved" when I say: We know. We know the top teams are looking to strengthen. Always. However, we need pretty much the same level players as they do to strengthen. Meaning we have to compete in attraction and wages with the clubs you mentioned.

I honestly can not see what GK we can realistically get that is better than Hugo, CB that is better than Jan or Toby, RB that is better than Walker, LB that is better than Rose, CM that is better than Vince or Dembele, playmaker that is better than Eriksen, "shadow striker" that is better than Alli, striker that is better than Kane, or a versatile CB/DM that is better than Dier.

That's nice that you can't see it but I can. Dier is 7/10 as a centre back. Eriksen was guff from August to November, Son had a great season overall but is not a world class attacking mid or even good enough to be a future PL player of the season. We should have a striker good enough to make playing 2 up top seem a possibility not a handicap. We should have our eyes on players who are actually a step up in development from Modric circa 2008 or Berbatov 2007. Suarez when we shouldve signed him from Ajax. Players like Payet before he went to BNP United. South American players of the year or the best players in Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1.

We are in a better position than we've ever been to make those signings.

We were probably one great player away from winning the league last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom