Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I think some people have interpreted the Aurier thing is almost like they think he's the Ugandan preacher who did the 'eat the poo poo' thing

Here's the thing - this view is pretty common on sub-saharan africa - it is the social norm in these highly Christian nations

The same view is relatively common amongst african enclaves in and around Paris and Marseille

Think back even 20 years in the UK, and this view was the majority held view. It has only recently changed through the defanging of the myths that existed previously, and there are still parts of this country where this view is common place

I would never defend anyone using this language, but I would say understand their social background, and the you help them understand (not forced re-education, but the same de-fanging of myths)

We don't even know with Aurier if he is homophobic at all, or just pressing buttons by using the most offensive terms on purpose. What we do have is a player with a history and a void in terms of major sport stories leading to this Becoming all we talk about

In Poch we trust - if he thinks he is redeemable, or is genuinely regretful for his words, then there will be steps already planned if he is signed to show he is contrite for his language choice

And I do not doubt there will be a clause in his contract specifically around use of homophobic terminology, after all, this is Levy we're talking about

Here's the thing - this view is pretty common on sub-saharan africa - it is the social norm in these highly Christian nations

The same view is relatively common amongst african enclaves in and around Paris and Marseille

Think back even 20 years in the UK, and this view was the majority held view. It has only recently changed through the defanging of the myths that existed previously, and there are still parts of this country where this view is common place

I would never defend anyone using this language, but I would say understand their social background, and the you help them understand (not forced re-education, but the same de-fanging of myths)

We don't even know with Aurier if he is homophobic at all, or just pressing buttons by using the most offensive terms on purpose. What we do have is a player with a history and a void in terms of major sport stories leading to this Becoming all we talk about

In Poch we trust - if he thinks he is redeemable, or is genuinely regretful for his words, then there will be steps already planned if he is signed to show he is contrite for his language choice

And I do not doubt there will be a clause in his contract specifically around use of homophobic terminology, after all, this is Levy we're talking about
I ought to say my assertion of commonality is based on having lived and travelled around most of that part of the world as well, so entirely experiential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom