Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone seen Gueye from Villa much? He's third in tackles per game (with 4.1 to Kante's 4.5) and shared first on interceptions. He's got 85.6% pass completion, to Kante's 81.3%. He's been dribbled past 0.9 to Kante's 1.5.

Is he as good as he looks from his stats? Would probably be significantly cheaper than Kante, and seems to offer much of the same, plus better passing.

Anyone seen Gueye from Villa much? He's third in tackles per game (with 4.1 to Kante's 4.5) and shared first on interceptions. He's got 85.6% pass completion, to Kante's 81.3%. He's been dribbled past 0.9 to Kante's 1.5.

Is he as good as he looks from his stats? Would probably be significantly cheaper than Kante, and seems to offer much of the same, plus better passing.

That's the problem with stats at times, Villa have been terrible all season, yet one of their players rates better than Kante? I mean really? Is this a complete comparison as in the same number of games played? Gueye could have played 10 compared to Kante's 30+ so statistically could look good on a spreadsheet?

Look at Timmy's win ratio with us compared to say Pochettino's? Stats would say Sherwood is our most successful manager when it comes to wins. I know which manager is better though.

I'd rather we had 4 "proper" cb's and let Dier concentrate on developing himself as a midfielder. Maybe Dominic Ball could be our 4th choice cb next season?

Other than that I pretty much agree with what you say.

Ball could be the cover for Dier in midfield as that is apparently where he has been playing for Rangers.

Squad for new season

Lloris, Vorm
Walker, Trippier, Rose, Davies
Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Wimmer
Dembele, Dier, New, Benteleb, Mason
Lamela, Son, Eriksen, New, Alli,
Kane, New, N'Jie

That's a 22 man squad (23 including the 3rd choice goalkeeper).

I'm a Chadli fan but i do think we could improve on him by bringing a young talented creative player to replace him. That could possibly be Pritchard but i dunno. i think 3 cb's is fine as Dier can obviously cover if needed and the DM/CM we bring in would slot into Dier's DM/CM role. Caroll and Yedlin to be sold (i'm not a Mason fan at all but i think we need him with juggling all the cup competitions).

That's what i want to happen BUT i think the following things could happen:
* Davies is sold and Umtiti replaces him.
* Benteleb is sold.

Davies won't be sold for Umtiti. For one thing Umtiti seems more like a centrehalf who can play left back. Think an Ivanovic/Abidal type player. Not bad but definitely not suited to our style of play.

For me the scarier prospect is that Bayern are seriously interested in Wimmer and our club is fully aware of this. It would be sad to see him go but breaking that partnership of Jan and Toby will be hard and a chance to go back to Germany might be his calling. I don't imagine Davies will be leaving though, only time will tell.

Bentaleb may be sold, he needs game time and he hasn't improved enough this season. I was really hoping he could be our Dembele back up so all we needed to find was Dier number 2.

That's the problem with stats at times, Villa have been terrible all season, yet one of their players rates better than Kante? I mean really? Is this a complete comparison as in the same number of games played? Gueye could have played 10 compared to Kante's 30+ so statistically could look good on a spreadsheet?

Look at Timmy's win ratio with us compared to say Pochettino's? Stats would say Sherwood is our most successful manager when it comes to wins. I know which manager is better though.

I disagree. The only problem with stats is that some may make the mistake of thinking that's all the info you need.

That's why I asked if some had seen him play. Stats may be used to identify a potential gem that may lack recognition because he's stuck surrounded by shit. But that gem would have to be scouted for anyone to get a proper idea of his actual contribution.

Gueye has played more than Kante. His per 90 stats is slightly lower than Kante's, as the latter has played fewer minutes per game on average.

The stats must also be seen in relation to player roles and team style. For example, you'd think a defensive midfielder in a team that controls the ball the majority of the game would not easily get the same defensive stats as one in a team that chases the ball more. A team with active pressing and risky passing will have games with lots of turnovers, and thus facilitate for impressive tackling/interception stats. A team decent in possession should facilitate for better passing stats.

I think it would be easier to get good tackling and interceptions stats in the 15/16 Leicester side than in the 15/16 Villa side. I might be wrong though.

I wouldn't really want us to sign him, especially not for that. He isn't better than Dier or Moose and that's a big spend on a backup.
He's ridiculously good. Much better suited to the way we play then most central midfielders we've been linked with. We won't sign anyone better this summer. Guarantee it.

I said it previously, and unless he isn't available then I would get Nigel de Jong. He has bags of experience, isn't too old and plays that aggressive (sometimes a little too aggressive) role allowing Dier a few games rest here and there. That said, he won't be much use slotting into a back three.

Fuck him.

Squad for new season

Lloris, Vorm
Walker, Trippier, Rose, Davies
Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Wimmer
Dembele, Dier, New, Benteleb, Mason
Lamela, Son, Eriksen, New, Alli,
Kane, New, N'Jie

That's a 22 man squad (23 including the 3rd choice goalkeeper).

I'm a Chadli fan but i do think we could improve on him by bringing a young talented creative player to replace him. That could possibly be Pritchard but i dunno. i think 3 cb's is fine as Dier can obviously cover if needed and the DM/CM we bring in would slot into Dier's DM/CM role. Caroll and Yedlin to be sold (i'm not a Mason fan at all but i think we need him with juggling all the cup competitions).

That's what i want to happen BUT i think the following things could happen:
* Davies is sold and Umtiti replaces him.
* Benteleb is sold.

Kovacic, Ousmane Dembele and Mandzukic. It would be really strong team in my opinion

I was going to suggest Xabi Alonso, but then checked his age. 34 is probably pushing it a bit. I agree with the sentiment though. I think our midfielders could use an experienced mentor playing alongside them.

Incoming manager at Bayern might not fancy all their players. It'll be an expensive solution, but Pep has converted Javi Martinez to CD, so he could easily fulfill the same role as Dier in slotting back into a back three at times.

I said it previously, and unless he isn't available then I would get Nigel de Jong. He has bags of experience, isn't too old and plays that aggressive (sometimes a little too aggressive) role allowing Dier a few games rest here and there. That said, he won't be much use slotting into a back three.

Fuck him.

superstaryid superstaryid - which bit do you disagree with? The idea of signing him or the bit where I say 'fuck him'?

I'd take Mahrez and Kante from Leicester. splash the funds Daniel. Then I would sign Malli from Mainz.

Sturridge for me is an interesting one. Klopp seems done with him. He obviously has a problem staying healthy but as backup to Kane used sparingly just may work a treat. He always impresses me.

I'd take Mahrez and Kante from Leicester. splash the funds Daniel. Then I would sign Malli from Mainz.

Sturridge for me is an interesting one. Klopp seems done with him. He obviously has a problem staying healthy but as backup to Kane used sparingly just may work a treat. He always impresses me.
First of all, they are highly unlikely to be willing to sell, even less likely to sell to us, and there will likely much bigger bids than what we would offer from other places.

Back
Top Bottom