Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, you can't just explain it away as capitalism. It's an element of capitalism, but free exchange and trade has been around for millennia, capitalism is a fairly new institution. Getting more than what you paid for is just common sense, and it's virtually a law of free and uncoerced exchange
The point isn't getting more than what you paid for. The point is that you need to extract the surplus labor value out of the player because you (Levy) are dependent on his surplus labor for your own cut. That's precisely the innovation that capitalism brought to the table.

But it doesn't explain the price inflation in world football over the past decade or so. What's evident is that major clubs are increasingly not concerned with a player's cost relative to the value he brings into the team, but rather as an investment vehicle which retains value and hopefully appreciates, generating a return. …

I just don't think that your post actually reflects what we're seeing in the transfer markets. Teams aren't finding value for money in youth; increasingly they are being forced to pay a premium for talented youth rather than a discount.
I think we're mostly in agreement, but you read my post as descriptive instead of suggestive. I didn't mean to suggest that I think clubs do behave in this way. But I think it would be a good way for them to do so.

Here the baseball model is particularly instructive. For those who don't know, teams withhold player's arbitration clocks as long as possible so they can get as much of the peak or near-peak output of the player while he is still under arbitration (making near the league minimum). By the time he's a free agent, he will undoutably earn far more than he will ever actually produce (in terms of win shares) on the field.

Of course, in baseball all a team pays for is the player's wages; there are no transfer fees. But I think football fans, in general, tend to overvalue transfer fees in relation to wages. A player past his peak will likely overvalue his value in terms of wages (because he has earned more in the past, because he doesn't see himself as past his prime, or whatever), whereas a player before his prime overproduces his wages (see Bale or even Kane). Kane has just (or will soon?) double his wages, but that's still probably less than the value he'll bring to Spurs, esp. compared to a big-earner like Adebayor.

As for Veblen goods, I think that's pennywise but perhaps poundfoolish. I'm not sure (but I believe) that this model is sustainable for very much longer. And even so, there are very few clubs that probably do view players in such a way. In the England, I'd count only Chelsea and City as clubs that pay over the top just to show off that they paid over the top. Though perhaps Man U, with their "we always get our man" mentality. Levy doesn't behave that way, though, nor do the clubs that finished behind us. Sure, a club might splash cash upon promotion, say, or show "they're serious this year" with a big purchase, but the idea is always that the money spent will generate value on the pitch.

And fans, certainly, don't view signings as Veblen goods.

One reason that I think the model is unsustainable is because I wonder if buying "the finished good" is actually as risk-free in comparison to academies (which not just provide new squad players but also generate revenue based on selling players who will never cut it in the first team). Liverpool bought a lot of players last season with good PL seasons a mere matter of weeks behind them, and what came of that? Sure, there were warning signs (Lambert might be the poster child for the kind of post-peak buying I'm talking about here), but Liverpool just chose to ignore them, thinking that "he's done it in the rain in Stoke before, surely he can do it again" is all it would take.

Anyway, friends?

The news I am longing to hear is interest in players like Capoue & Kaboul etc.
If Pritchard was to get a place he will not be an unlimited Under 21, neither will Carroll be, or Yedlin. Neither is Wimmer or Kane.
Of all those 3 players we are supposedly linked with only Martial is U21.

If we are going to start buying, then we seriously have to move players unless we want them to sit around collecting money for nothing.
I mean, if Wimmer is named in the squad then Vlad or Kaboul will have to go as we'll have Fazio, Vertonghen and Wimmer. Dier counts as under 21 and he will be named in the squad before either Vlad/Kaboul.
Same goes for Strikers. We will name Harry.
Nabil is in his last season as U21 & if we sign Kramer and Trippier and walkers not fit enough but named do we name Yedlin too or go with playing Dier at RB?

Has anyone seen Trippier defend, he gets caught out a lot, good going forward but been poor at defending. Add a high line and two fuckwits next to him and I can see this going very badly

Who: Jasper
When: 13th June
Where: Spurs Odyssey

I am told we are still hyper confident on our targets, and expected couple more to of been done by now. Agents don't help, but from what I hear all is good. Honestly do NOT want to get dragged into names etc. I am like everyone else in hoping. Names are out there, plus a surprise Argentinian which is 70/30 in our favour. I do not know who but what I was told.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messi is coming to WHL!
:levylol:

I am told we are still hyper confident on our targets, and expected couple more to of been done by now. Agents don't help, but from what I hear all is good. Honestly do NOT want to get dragged into names etc. I am like everyone else in hoping. Names are out there, plus a surprise Argentinian which is 70/30 in our favour. I do not know who but what I was told.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messi is coming to WHL!
Wouldn't mind Cambiasso for a season or two. Showed at Leicester that he's still class.

I had forgot how much I hated United fans' arrogance till this transfer window. Doesn't even cross their minds that Kane wants to stay and that we don't sell our best players to English teams anymore.

Messi is coming to WHL!
Vietto has a release clause which is £14.8m iirc but it seems like he will join Atletico Madrid

Messi is coming to WHL!

I would love the meet this "Jasper" and kick his fucking face in.

"hyper confident" - Who the fuck says that.

"expected couple more to of been done by now" - offers nothing

"but from what I hear all is good" - Blatant lie, you know nothing

"Honestly do NOT want to get dragged into names" - because you don't know shit.

"I am like everyone else in hoping" - See above

"Names are out there" - Yes people have names

"plus a surprise Argentinian which is 70/30 in our favour" - Picks an obvious nation we could sign from and covers his back with 70/30. What a cunt.

"I do not know who but what I was told" - Of course you don't because you a lying cunt.

So Jasper. Thanks for your incite you fucking retard.

:pochbye:

Vietto? Otamendi? Gaitan? Salvio? Icardi? Tevez? Please let it be a positive surprise, ie someone who seems out of our range that suddenly decides they support Tottenham, their uncle is Ledley King and no longer require wages or CL football:avbpray::pochserious2:

Last edited:
ivanovic and zabaleta are about the only ones I can think of
But I've seen both get ripped apart numerous times? Even so, that's 2 out of 100s of full backs across Europe. So the odds on signing someone who can defend is pretty rare, considering the only two you can name play for the two best clubs in the league.

The team defending as a unit is a lot more important than whether or not a full back can defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom