Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the Spurs List mate?

It's a mailing-List for Spurs Fans created in 1992. Many of the members are old-timers with a few with good connections at Spurs. As the one that posted. It's been on several servers, but for the last years we were on Google groups. We keep it going although most members are on several different boards these days!

Am I the only one that has seen a strange trend in which the age at which players are seen by fans as "too old" seem to forever be decreasing?

Just the other day someone was just suggesting that sadly we might lose Lloris, "because he's getting older". He's fucking 28 years old! For a keeper 28 years old is more or less like hitting puberty!!!!

Now Woolwich players are arguing amongst themselves about how old Jackson Martinez is:

Tragic consequence of price inflation in football, if you ask me. How long is it going to be before 27 becomes "over the hill"?

How on earth has Positively Woolwich survived all these years?

What do you guys think of Mathew Ryan?

He's been linked with Quiverpool and seems to be in the same mould as Vorm, good as passing and very acrobatic - would you lot be happy if we got him?

You should check out :
http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com/2015/06/tottenham-scouting-new-goalkeeper.html

His strengths are excellent distribution with both hands and feet, good reaction speed and he is positionally sound. His major weakness is slowness in getting down to low shots.

"I am hoping to go on and win many trophies for Spurs and for England. That’s always been the aim since I was a kid, dreaming of lifting the trophy one day for them" ~Harry Kane.

Fuck off United he ain't going anywhere.

"I am hoping to go on and win many trophies for Spurs and for England. That’s always been the aim since I was a kid, dreaming of lifting the trophy one day for them" ~Harry Kane.

Fuck off United he ain't going anywhere.

Them not us... if the other Harry had've said that, we'd have gone into meltdown, convinced that he'd severed all emotional ties with us, and that he was simply hitching his skirt for the England job... nah... Kane's as good as gone!

:kaneshh:

Not really... he's one of our own, he's HAPPY here... and he ain't going nowhere! :kaneear: he hears us!

Rename it I guess, I live in Brazil and I have to explain who Harry Kane is, the only Harrys they know are Potter and Prince!
This guy?
Bb1lLxH.png

Man, Brazil is weird.

Am I the only one that has seen a strange trend in which the age at which players are seen by fans as "too old" seem to forever be decreasing?
The Lloris example is clearly ridiculous, but there's logic in it. You always want to be paying a player too little compared to the value he brings into your team. That's basic capitalism.

So where do you find high-performing, yet cheap players? Among players who have not hit their athletic peak. Then you lock them in at a cheap price and hope to ride through their peak at artificially inflated wages. Then let them transfer out, post-peak, to get the money they retroactively "deserve" from a stupid club.

An average footballer's peak is 27–28. That doesn't mean a 29 year old can't be the best player in the squad or that a 34 year old will be garbage. It just means you can't expect them to improve (on average), and they may also command disproportionate wages, because they expect a wage hike from their previous club.

Those Wanderers arguing over 28 and 29 are rightly mocked, but I don't want Levy & co. looking at anyone over 28 as a general rule, unless it's on very low wages and a short contract.

The Lloris example is clearly ridiculous, but there's logic in it. You always want to be paying a player too little compared to the value he brings into your team. That's basic capitalism.

So where do you find high-performing, yet cheap players? Among players who have not hit their athletic peak. Then you lock them in at a cheap price and hope to ride through their peak at artificially inflated wages. Then let them transfer out, post-peak, to get the money they retroactively "deserve" from a stupid club.

An average footballer's peak is 27–28. That doesn't mean a 29 year old can't be the best player in the squad or that a 34 year old will be garbage. It just means you can't expect them to improve (on average), and they may also command disproportionate wages, because they expect a wage hike from their previous club.

Those Wanderers arguing over 28 and 29 are rightly mocked, but I don't want Levy & co. looking at anyone over 28 as a general rule, unless it's on very low wages and a short contract.
Goalkeepers usually peak between 31 and 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom