Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Witsel has been linked to a european move all summer in the region of €22m which is 16billion rubles as well as a loan to AC Milan

He has said he won't sign a new contract and he has 2 years left on his contract. So for us to get a £19m bid rejected doesn't sound right imo as it would be more than they paid.

Also their players wages are paid in euros making it harder for them to pay their players according to one article

Axel Witsel's 2014/15 RPL radar looks like the progeny of a unicorn and rooster. We must sign the Roosticorn at once!

1G8ZS1M.png

I cant believe you are all going to spend the entire day checking to see if we've signed Witsel, Song and Berahino etc

Witsel to Milan
Berahino to Utd
Song to Southamton, Wanyama to arse
Pato to Villa

Reality Check

The Wistel rumours just don't add up for me, Zenit paid about 40 million for him a couple of years ago. If he is such a good player, why would they be selling him for half the price they paid. If his value really has halved since his benfica days I think that should be some kind of warning sign?? Ahh what do I know
A new rule that has been established says, that russian teams at most can have 6 foreign players.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/06/world-cup-2014-belgium-axel-witsel

'Like Diego Maradona will always be remembered for the hand of God, like Zinédine Zidane will always be reminded of his head-butt, Witsel will always carry this tackle with him. He has learned to let it go.

Time heals. Belgian fans have embraced him again, although some Anderlecht fans still can’t stand him. The beast is a beauty again. A gracious midfielder with an excellent technique. The player he always has been, apart from on that one miserable da. Until 2009 the career of the son of a father with roots in Martinique and a Belgian mother had flourished. Growing up as a player alongside his best friend Nacer Chadli on a square in Vottem, a suburb of Liège, educated at Visé and later, at the biggest club in town, Standard Liège.

In 2007 he made his way into the first team of the future Belgian champions, a few months after Marouane Fellaini, another symbol of the club. He’s one of the key players in the championship-winning squad of 2008, the first title for Standard in 25 years. “I’ve never felt such an explosion of emotions”, said Witsel at that time.

It was a party that he would never forget. The title win accelerated his career. He was handed his first call-up for the national team at just 19. Big clubs come to the Stade de Sclessin to watch the talented teenager. There are rumours about Real Madrid, Woolwich, his dream team, but he resists. He wins another title at Standard, and after the Wasilewski incident, he waves goodbye with a cup and moves to Benfica, not the Premier League.'

We sure we still want him?

:goonermong:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/06/world-cup-2014-belgium-axel-witsel

'Like Diego Maradona will always be remembered for the hand of God, like Zinédine Zidane will always be reminded of his head-butt, Witsel will always carry this tackle with him. He has learned to let it go.

Time heals. Belgian fans have embraced him again, although some Anderlecht fans still can’t stand him. The beast is a beauty again. A gracious midfielder with an excellent technique. The player he always has been, apart from on that one miserable da. Until 2009 the career of the son of a father with roots in Martinique and a Belgian mother had flourished. Growing up as a player alongside his best friend Nacer Chadli on a square in Vottem, a suburb of Liège, educated at Visé and later, at the biggest club in town, Standard Liège.

In 2007 he made his way into the first team of the future Belgian champions, a few months after Marouane Fellaini, another symbol of the club. He’s one of the key players in the championship-winning squad of 2008, the first title for Standard in 25 years. “I’ve never felt such an explosion of emotions”, said Witsel at that time.

It was a party that he would never forget. The title win accelerated his career. He was handed his first call-up for the national team at just 19. Big clubs come to the Stade de Sclessin to watch the talented teenager. There are rumours about Real Madrid, Woolwich, his dream team, but he resists. He wins another title at Standard, and after the Wasilewski incident, he waves goodbye with a cup and moves to Benfica, not the Premier League.'

Best friend of Nacer Chadli ... interesting.

Best buds with the Dolphin though

How many of our players have produced the goods? What's the difference between Dembele having to deal with 3 different managers in 3 years but under Poch's system everybody else still needs time? He hasn't played in it any longer than anybody else.

His injury may make all this irrelevant, certainly unlikely to be sold if crocked for even just a couple of weeks.

To me he is Poch's big benchmark opportunity for showing his true coaching and managing capabilities, a quality, mature player who he can improve by coaching and deploying him to get the best for us, that will be a real achievement.
Exactly my point. Why slag off other players who have also not produced the goods under 3 managers yet defend Dembele?
Some have done far better than him.
Like I said, despite opinions to the contrary, Poch as not disregarded Moussa. I think he has managed him well. We obviously had a player who was not fit enough to last and injury prone.
He has made him a fitter, leaner, hungrier player. Saturday he was actually making forward passes and was much more direct and quicker with his passing.
Although it's in his nature and hard to coach out, he did not needlessly hold onto the ball that much either. For instance dispossessing and knocking onto Mason for the pass that set up the Kane chance, driving forward and making a lovely forward pass to Chadli at the start of the 2nd.
He usually gets dispossessed quite a lot in games and that didn't happen much either.
He looks a player who now may last the full 90 without fading and is not as injury prone.
When was the last time Dembele got an injury like that?
It used to be he'd be slowing, nothing really happening to cause an injury and hobble off when substituted only to be missing for ages with a recurrence of an old injury.
Dembele, under Poch, has spent considerably less time on the treatment table and missing under Poch.

I cant believe you are all going to spend the entire day checking to see if we've signed Witsel, Song and Berahino etc

Witsel to Milan
Berahino to Utd
Song to Southamton, Wanyama to arse
Pato to Villa

Reality Check
... and you were doing so well over the weekend. Positive about the team, getting into the Everton troll. Keep the faith mate.

Witsel would be awesome as DM, almost never loses the ball, decent enough range of passing and tons of experience at his age. But i dont think it will happen , we are hardly likely to pay what Zenit wants.

Also, i've seen Austin linked to Man U - he surely doesnt fit the profile of LVG's recent signings

Last edited:
I think and hope that the Chadli connection will point Witsels will towards Tottenham. All the other Belgians are surely also on the pre Tottenham side of the where to go decision

I think and hope that the Chadli connection will point Witsels will towards Tottenham. All the other Belgians are surely also on the pre Tottenham side of the where to go decision
They have always said that playing together is a dream, as did Dembele, Alderweireld and JV who have been friends from a very young age.

We were all told to wait until the last 2 weeks by Levy and we are down to the wire now. I know many don't see it as ideal about the timing etc but we would have also expected Kane to be able to complete 4 sets of 90 minutes without much trouble. I'm really excited to see 'Son' and 'N'Jie'. A srtiker is more important than a CDM, Berahino alone would complete an excellent window added to the dross we've managed to get rid off.

De Bruyne's agent on Talksport mentioned that one of the other bits of business to tie up is the 'Tottenham lad to Italy' guessing that's Lamela, I expect a loan deal is more likely, hopefully a forced option to buy. Not sure if he's even Lamela agent but miust have ties, we'll find out today as their window shuts tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom