Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, what are your thoughts of the possible sale of Townsend? I'd rather keep him at the club, and perhaps see him go out on loan. But if the deal involves MS, I'd be tempted. What are you're thoughts?

Good question, possibly not the reply you or others might want but I'd snap anyone's hand off for offering anything above 10 million for Townsend regardless of MS coming or not. I genuinely don't see what he does for us other than inject a bit of pace. I rate him as highly as Welbeck, bang average. There is a reason Man U will let him go and that is because he isn't good enough to get them back up the league, we already have a better squad than them so wouldn't tarnish it with their cast offs.

Well come on, say something interesting. What kind of post is that?

Give me some material and I will get involved but I'm not gonna get involved in personal battles you all might turn on me instead of each other and I already get ripped up for arse paper by the mrs far too much too chuck myself in the firing line with you lot.

I don't know how anyone could watch yesterday's performance and think that Schneiderlin wouldn't massively improve us. When we had possession it was slow and ponderous AVB football all over again. That wasn't a tactical thing because we produced our two goals from open play due to Pochettino's high press and in fairness also Limassol being well below our level. The real reason we looked so slow moving the ball is because our three in the center are a problem. Dembele and Sandro are both so slow on the ball and Paulinho is incredibly wasteful in possession.

At this point in time I don't know how you can look at Bentaleb and Capoue and not see them as a class above our other options. Capoue's passing makes Sandro look like a limited player like Palacios. Don't get me wrong, Sandro's still a solid tackler of the ball (though I maintain he looks 10-15 pounds overweight) but Pochettino clearly wants more complete players who can contribute to the game in all facets. The modern game on a whole dictates the importance of a variety of skills in a player. For me, Sandro and Dembele are much too one-dimensional and when they play together it is tough for us to develop any fluidity in the side. Both are very solid backups but I can't see them ever filling long term important roles in a successful Pochettino side.

Schneiderlin is a better and significantly more versatile player than Dembele, Sandro, and Paulinho and it isn't particularly close. It's not a buy buy buy thing but rather a necessity to shake up center midfield that has been well below average since Modric's departure. Just like with our back line, quantity does not equal quality. Pochettino saw that and we've added a whole new backline despite only being really thin at left back. It looks like he's seen it with our center midfield and thus Schneiderlin has been our most ever present and seemingly most coveted target. It's nice to have an adult with a football brain running the team again, addressing our needs in a calm and rational fashion.

What a load of bollocks

That said, if a player like Chadli is sold I'm not sure MS would be his replacement, do you? They play in two very different positions, so if Chadli were sold, I would prefer to see someone like Depay bought.

That is my contribution, no coating off, no getting my knickers (and it's Friday, so I am wearing the frilly variety) in a twist....just an opinion.

You listed Chadli as a player you want out to facilitate $$$$ bringing in MS.

Not like for like. Speaking of like for like, when you concider players that play Chadlis position are Townsend and Lennon that leaves us impotent if you get your wish. Taking us backwards.

I think your complaints about arguments in this thread bogus since Chadli has eclipsed anything MS did last season in one game.

You should not be outraged or surprised when people argue in transfer threads.

Levy is going to be upset when he finds out Baldini screwed up the lunch order. :levystare:

HomemadeStromboliAug05.jpg

I think after getting Davies, Fazio and Dier we can live with the team we have, wouldn't mind Schniederlin just because a Schniederlin-Capoue partnership at the base of the midfield seems amazing. My only issue during the course of the season for me is the forward line, Ade can be hit and miss and Kane is quite young not to mention we don't know if Soldado will ever come good, I would love us to try and get a super star forward but I doubt it will happen.

I won't bang on about the MS thing too much. I'm getting bored of it.

But I've noticed that Capoues stellar form has now seemed pretty inconvenient for the pro MS brigade.

Now all of a sudden MS will be a perfect "partner" for Capoue?

I got skinned alive for suggesting we have two DMs on this forum. And since when has MS had a rep for a holding role partnership? Our players have in the past. Like Dembele and Sandro.

This Capoue partnership thing IMO is just a reaction/admission that we don't need MS because Capoue is a beast.

But I've noticed that Capoues stellar form has now seemed pretty inconvenient for the pro MS brigade.

I got skinned alive for suggesting we have two DMs on this forum. And since when has MS had a rep for a holding role partnership? Our players have in the past. Like Dembele and Sandro.

This Capoue partnership thing IMO is just a reaction/admission that we don't need MS because Capoue is a beast.
Prove it :harrylol:

Guys, what are your thoughts of the possible sale of Townsend? I'd rather keep him at the club, and perhaps see him go out on loan. But if the deal involves MS, I'd be tempted. What are you're thoughts?

IMO he has to go regardless. We need a new direction and he and Lennon for me is inviting frustration in the form of lack of creativity.

I honestly believe Townsend and Lennon out will be a huge positive for us. Even if we don't sign anyone.

That's a good point about MS becoming a partner for Capoue, and as you say, it's entirely down to the start he's made. There weren't many people, including me, that saw Capoue as a nailed on first team starter.

I thought the whole point of 4-2-3-1 was two DM's?

No denying that Capoue has been immense this season, but we need more options. We can't rely on Bentaleb the whole season, and god forbid something happens to Capoue. Our other holding midfield options are deemed surplus to requirements, or have ultimately flattered to deceive. How long do you persevere with things before admitting defeat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom