Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was shit against Seattle and Toronto, so I don't think so.

I fully expect Lamela to be starting on the right.

I dunno...wouldn't be surprised if he stays in the middle to be honest. Obviously means we won't get the best out of Eriksen though. Who knows.

As for who could possibly go to Soton? I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're holding out for Holtby.

I dunno...wouldn't be surprised if he stays in the middle to be honest. Obviously means we won't get the best out of Eriksen though. Who knows.
He didn't start for us in the middle, though; he started on the right and was swapping positions with Eriksen.

As for who could possibly go to Soton? I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're holding out for Holtby.
That would be a good move for him. Would still like to see Pooch work some magic on him.

He didn't start for us in the middle, though; he started on the right and was swapping positions with Eriksen.

True, but he was taking a middle position quite often throughout the US matches. I don't care if they line up with him on the right. If he's not actually playing on the right it really doesn't matter.

True, but he was taking a middle position quite often throughout the US matches. I don't care if they line up with him on the right. If he's not actually playing on the right it really doesn't matter.

Lamela did most of his work through the middle after even receiving the ball far more often closer to center rather than wide, but he was a wide player even when Eriksen was not present.

Will be interesting to see how it translates to the Prem, as that positioning we saw in the friendlies is much more in line with how he positioned himself with Roma. With us, it was clear his instructions were to hug the touchline as with a traditional winger would. I believe Poch will continue to allow him to do his thing, rather than attempt to mold him into a "Prem winger" as it appeared AVB did.

Of course it does. It has to be said that they weren't playing on top of each other. If Eriksen and Lamela have an understanding of swapping positions between the middle and right, then that should be counterbalanced by a strong presence on the left. You don't just shoehorn another right winger into the formation if that space is already being occupied.

Last edited:
Krueger is putting on a show to boost the price and please certain fans, they'll make the pair of them scapegoats just as they are the last of the exodus, but in the end they'll put out a statement that they had no other option than letting them go. See Keane to Liverpool for a transcript!

Note that Krueger has built in a get-out clause for himself:
“Jay Rodriguez and and Morgan Schneiderlin are not for sale, and they will be a part of our club as we enter the new season

Southampton have three league fixtures before the end of the transfer window.

As we've seen many a time before, if they want to leave, chances are they'll leave. Probably just Southampton forcing them to hand in transfer requests thus forfeiting any loyalty bonus and making them a bit more money.

His actual position was on the right but during attack he would curve to the middle for shooting positions and possible even to the left side of goal (where he scored two already) to get a pass from the middle.

Genial.

My two cents on the Schneiderlin situation.

It all seems a bit harsh on Schneiderlin, basically. He had decided he wanted to leave in summer, apparently even telling his team mates he wouldn't be back after the World Cup. The media linked him with Arse, but this was probably lazy journalism cos they 'have Champions League' and Wenger has been 'sniffing round for a few years'.

In reality, it appears that he did not have money or CL in mind, but wanted to follow Pochettino – the man he cites as largely responsible for his rise to being a full France international.

This point is important. For while he was away playing in the World Cup, progressing to the quarter finals no less, all his team mates from more rubbish countries (England, principally) came home and rushed through their big-money glory-hunting moves (Lallana, an Everton fan, went to Liverpool; Shaw, a Chelsea fan actively turned them down for more money at United).

Now Schneiderlin has returned to an empty dressing room to find himself being used as a pawn by Soton's chairman to emphasis they're not a selling club.

I'm still fairly confident we'll get him; he can always put through a transfer request, and his angry tweet suggests he is far from happy. Also, as we well know, chairmen saying players are '100% not for sale' don't always mean much (Modric, Berbatov, BALE).

But if any club, ever, needed to (and, really, should) dig in their heels and not commit to selling 7 of their starting 11, it's Soton, so watch this space.

10461393_1119149594791922_2384204248863397650_n.jpg

1504946_1119098881463660_8086192350802426809_n.jpg
and still "no tottnum, noo, you no can get morgan, noo"
Consuela_no-no.jpg

fucken hell.

Note that Krueger has built in a get-out clause for himself:
“Jay Rodriguez and and Morgan Schneiderlin are not for sale, and they will be a part of our club as we enter the new season

Southampton have three league fixtures before the end of the transfer window.
The whole of the statement doesn't leave him any get out clauses IMO. It's unequivocal, MS and JR will be not be sold and will be staying with Soton this season.

'They are part of the core that we have decided to keep at Southampton. In and around Jay, Morgan and the rest of our core players, we’re excited to continue to build forward.'

I don't see any 'wriggle room' there. If they are sold this summer, he's gone back on his statement.

Er, except for how he specifically gave a timeline for keeping them that leaves room to sell them this summer without contradicting himself. They've already stated that they can "build forward" by using money from a transfer.
It's carefully designed to look like it's unequivocal while still being deniable if he later goes against the clear intent of the statement.
Trust me on this -- I used to work in PR. This is how it's done.

My one overriding concern is that should neither player be signed, do we have a legitimate back up plan? Do the players who's positions were clearly being marked as 'up for grabs' now consider themselves surplus to requirements regardless of if they are bought or not? And have we shown our hand financially to other clubs?

I hope these are the two bought in but worry who will, if they aren't.

If we do end up seeing JR, MS in The Lilywhite then I think we could well see 1, 2 even 3 of our current squad going in the opposite direction. We balance the books, wages etc. Soton get instant (not necessarily like for like) replacements, which go's part way in appeasing their fans.

If so, realistically who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom