Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree... I just feel for their fans, it's not like they've got to do it for anyone else yet, plus we know what it's like to lose our best player... They've lost so many of their best players now and a good manager, it just must really suck for them.

Sure it sucks for them but at the end of the day football is a zero sum game. Anything we can do to strengthen while weakening one of our 19 competitors is a huge plus.

Chelsea stopping us from spending 30mil on him was maybe one of the best things to happen to us in years.

It worked out for us for sure. My point was not about Willian but rather that football is fucking unfair and we need to be realists and live in that world rather than just letting it fuck us over.

Let's run down the last 2 1/2 years at Spurs:
  • Blown two 8+ point leads to our biggest rival late in the season.
  • Had our manager lose his mind over a supposed job offer for the English national team only to have him lose out to Roy Hodgson.
  • The early retirement of our greatest player of the last twenty years due to tragic injury history.
  • Lost out on Champions League despite finishing fourth to our second biggest rival who won the Champions League final in penalties to a fucking German team. Plus it required Messi and Robben missing regular time penalties.
  • Fucked up the Moutinho deal, got Clint Dempsey instead.
  • Sold fan favorite and massive talent in VDV because he was trying to save his marriage. Got divorced like two months later.
  • Sold our two best players to Real Madrid after they struck their way out and then watched them win Champions League and Copa Del Rey with Bale scoring both winners.
  • Had Chelsea nick what would have been our marquee signing out of his Tottenham medical and sign for them.
  • Had Tim Sherwood and AVB as managers.
  • Most injured team in the league by far in 2013/2014.
  • Probably so much more that I'm forgetting.
Moral of the story is that there is no morality or code of conduct in football. We've continually been fucked over by players, managers, and even the weird rules of football. No one is looking out for us to give us a pat on the back if we say, "we shouldn't sign Morgan Schneiderlin because he sent a slightly uncouth tweet". I'm tired of getting stepped over and fucked over. If we think Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez will improve our team than we should sign them even if they spend the rest of the summer standing in front of the Southampton training ground forming a two man picket line. Morality and loyalty is dead in modern football with transfers and we need to get over it. If anyone deserves to fuck another team over it's us with all the shit we've been through the last couple of years.
Imagine how long that initial list would of been if you were scouse:dempsey:

I won't post the rest of Grey Fox' post as it really does appear to just be a rehash of what's in the papers aside from him suggesting we may just roll with loans at CB; but he also said to pay close attention to who travels with the squad on Friday to Helsinki. Those who are left behind will be a good indication of who's headed out.

Somehow I doubt that. Not sure whether the WC players will be involved. We'll see though!

Somehow I doubt that. Not sure whether the WC players will be involved. We'll see though!

Yeah I agree, I took it to mean he was solely referring to those actively with the squad since the start of preseason, i.e. who he's had a chance to evaluate and declare within his plans or not. And of course there are always other reasons which arise that could be entirely meaningless to transfer business.

-if it's true- of course

I have heard so many times today that you've got to feel for their fans - and in a way I get that and I certainly wouldn't enjoy seeing my club collapse before my eyes. I have been feeling for them too...

..however, after the initial tears have been wiped away, have other fans been "feeling" for us? Doubt it. When Chelsea got our Champions League did other fans feel sorry for us? Most didn't care. Lasagnagate? Probably funny for most team's fans. Etc etc. Too many examples to name half of them, there was an excellent list earlier in the thread...

After all the events of today I still expect Schneiderlin and Rodriguez to end up at Spurs. It will no doubt turn ugly (as it already did) but the Southampton Board has caused this themselves. Any good player left will want out after they have already sold most of their top player, sacking their football director and letting their manager go.

Krueger is putting on a show to boost the price and please certain fans, they'll make the pair of them scapegoats just as they are the last of the exodus, but in the end they'll put out a statement that they had no other option than letting them go. See Keane to Liverpool for a transcript!

Would rather we don't get dragged down in a battle that lasts until deadline day. Offer a sum, give our own deadline, identify alternatives. If they fuck about, move on swiftly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom