Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL such a Spurs July. Being linked to Draxler and Shaqiri. We'll be bidding for "cut rate" Matt Jarvis and "discount" Robbie Brady in a month.

I know it doesn't hurt me in any way, and I know that I am choosing to click on it, but fucking hell how is there still an ITK thread in 2014? It's been apparent for years that they don't know anything but it's even gone past the point where I could take any enjoyment from it ironically or by just laughing at it. They've almost started to become self aware, like they completely understand that everyone and his dog knows they can't have extended insider knowledge of our transfer activity and can't predict what'll happen months down the line because not even Levy and Baldini know that, so they post shite like this:

" Blue and yellow are so yesterdays colours, if after taking their leave doesn't work out then we will be going for Red and Black"
OR
" If we get snookered on our first choice we will be aiming to pot a red followed by a black"

Feel like the cunt is trying to take the piss. Half of it is just asking Jetset what his opinion on squad players is ffs.

We won't be getting Griezmann or Draxler for anything less than £30million and that's providing that we can convince them to join us (which is a pretty difficult ask at the moment).

Rodriguez is just a technically better player than Moreno and his passes (especially crosses) are much better than Moreno's. Given that Poch is almost obsessed with crossed balls in, that's a huge reason to not brush off Rodriguez. Moreno is also not good at tackling, which was a huge part of Poch regaining possesion last season.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Not that it even matters, we're almost definitely not going to get Rodriguez and I highly doubt we go after Moreno.

The issue is not which LB is better, as I agree Rodriguez is, but it's a matter of which one would be more compatible with Poch's system. Plain and simple, there is no liability in Moreno's game under the context of Poch tactics, while in Rodriguez' there is. He's significantly bigger than Moreno, so of course he's going to be better in the tackle. But in my opinion, a higher success rate of catching in the guy in the first place, especially in a system that induces frequent counterattacks in behind, is far more important than a success rate of completing the standing tackle.

Plenty of players in a team can cross. IMO, than benefit doesn't compensate for an extreme liability. Maybe if Vertonghen were quicker it'd be less of a problem, but otherwise I'd prefer for that LB to be of the more agile type capable of catching his man behind the wicked high back line than a big fella who's good in attack but won't always catch his man.

The issue is not which LB is better, as I agree Rodriguez is, but it's a matter of which one would be more compatible with Poch's system. Plain and simple, there is no liability in Moreno's game under the context of Poch tactics, while in Rodriguez' there is. He's significantly bigger than Moreno, so of course he's going to be better in the tackle. But in my opinion, a higher success rate of catching in the guy in the first place, especially in a system that induces frequent counterattacks in behind, is far more important than a success rate of completing the standing tackle.

Plenty of players in a team can cross. IMO, than benefit doesn't compensate for an extreme liability. Maybe if Vertonghen were quicker it'd be less of a problem, but otherwise I'd prefer for that LB to be of the more agile type capable of catching his man behind the wicked high back line than a big fella who's good in attack but won't always catch his man.

Except that you're completely forgetting that Poch plays his DM's almost directly in front of his line so that they can cover for the full backs for the simple reason that it keeps them from having to track back at full speed constantly. It's really not as big of a liability as you're making it sound.

Except that you're completely forgetting that Poch plays his DM's almost directly in front of his line so that they can cover for the full backs for the simple reason that it keeps them from having to track back at full speed constantly. It's really not as big of a liability as you're making it sound.

I'm not forgetting them. The reason for the positioning of the DM's to more so provide a stop gap to plug those openings and to actually allow the centerbacks to sit wide and provide that cover. Their job is to do what they can in preventing those throughballs, but they won't be as quick as wingbacks in eliminating the ball in behind. That small integral time difference it would take Rodriguez to turn and catch up to the play would make a more significant difference in a league as fast as the Prem than it would anywhere else, and could cost us conceding several goals and at the least disrupt the consistency of the high press. So no, I don't think that's an insignificant liability at all. Were Poch to pair the left back up with a pacey true winger such as the handsome fella in my avatar, it'd be less of a problem. But it seems from our rumored targets that Poch wants to continue his 2nd striker/LWF trend he developed at Saints with J Rod. As such, the left back would have significantly less coverage in behind and R Rodriguez' weaknesses would be more flaunted.

Davies isn't quick either, but he also prefers to sit in his spot considerably more than Rodriguez does. Rodriguez is as static as a tornado in an open plain with a trailer park on the other end of it. So again while Rod is the better player, it's less of a problem with Davies considering he holds in that gap much more and thus is why I didn't say shit about it when we were linked.

I'm not forgetting them. The reason for the positioning of the DM's to more so provide a stop gap to plug those openings and to actually allow the centerbacks to sit wide and provide that cover. Their job is to do what they can in preventing those throughballs, but they won't be as quick as wingbacks in eliminating the ball in behind. That small integral time difference it would take Rodriguez to turn and catch up to the play would make a more significant difference in a league as fast as the Prem than it would anywhere else, and could cost us conceding several goals and at the least disrupt the consistency of the high press. So no, I don't think that's an insignificant liability at all. Were Poch to pair the left back up with a pacey true winger such as the handsome fella in my avatar, it'd be less of a problem. But it seems from our rumored targets that Poch wants to continue his 2nd striker/LWF trend he developed at Saints with J Rod. As such, the left back would have significantly less coverage in behind and R Rodriguez' weaknesses would be more flaunted.

Davies isn't quick either, but he also prefers to sit in his spot considerably more than Rodriguez does. Rodriguez is as static as a tornado in an open plain with a trailer park on the other end of it. So again while Rod is the better player, it's less of a problem with Davies considering he holds in that gap much more and thus is why I didn't say shit about it when we were linked.
DidntRead.gif

I would have to re-watch a match, but I don't remember their CB's playing out wide while their DM's covered the center. I do remember their DM's covering the flanks in the back though.

sign Davies and Draxler and we are fucking sorted, nailed on for the quadruple :freundgoal:
That's all we need ... go all out for a quality LW and LB ... and quite honestly, imo, we should be fine. We don't need too much change again. So we don't necessarily need to worry (that much) about other positions for now (except for a CB if we sell one or two). Plus I'd love to get Drax, if only to piss off them next door thunder-cunts.

Tbh, I'm a bit envious on ArseAnal's alleged transfer window plan.
Sanchez is a brilliant player, who I really don't want to start hating if/when he joins them.
And I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to snap up Khedira too. Also, I see they are after Bernard too.
(And I don't want to get started on what the other rivals are up to.)

Hopefully, Levy will show his magic at least once this window.

yeah mate Draxler would be a dream signing just like Lamela lol :adewtf:

seriously though I see Lamela being top of charlie adams hitlist this season

the hope and excitement are really starting to build with all the recent preseason pics :chadliblow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom