Stupid things you have heard at the lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

During the 90's there used to be a steward, or someone of similar ilk, who you'd sometimes see wandering around the perimeter of the ground before and after or during half time - he had a big black curly perm and a sourness style moustache and everyone would get up from their seats and start giving him the harry enfield scouse refrain 'eh, calm down, calm down'. That used to make me laugh, poor bloke, he probably wasn't even scouse.

Not at the Lane but at the '93 Semi-Final at Wembley, a day I'd rather forget. As I took my seat, I looked and sat behind me was the shit 80s comedian Bobby Davro and his missis. As the teams came out on the pitch I heard his missis pipe up 'Which one's Tottenham then?', Bobby mumbled an embarrassed reply.

What a waste of a ticket.

Not at the Lane but at the '93 Semi-Final at Wembley, a day I'd rather forget. As I took my seat, I looked and sat behind me was the shit 80s comedian Bobby Davro and his missis. As the teams came out on the pitch I heard his missis pipe up 'Which one's Tottenham then?', Bobby mumbled an embarrassed reply.

What a waste of a ticket.

Does that make her a 'shit missus' too... by association?

"Jenas is fucking shit, get him off"

Turns out, Jenas wasn't actually playing. In fact, he wasn't even at the club anymore. Livermore was playing.

:mong:

late 80s on the paxton lower terrace there was a group of girls used to go and one was on the large size. couple of times part of the terrace sang "who ate all the pies..." - could have died for the poor girl, our own fans as well.

early 90s they thought it would be a good idea to have pre match entertainment at the lane. chas and dave were at one game, another there was a young starlett came out in a minidress and heels and sang her latest bland attempt at a song - the paxton sang "get yer tits out for the lads" proper cringeworthy, she took it well and after her song she waved to the crowd smiling/grimacing as her heels were sticking in the grass and nearly coming off.

Same thing used to happen when Linda Lusardi and Co used to walk around the perimeter throwing packets of monkey nuts into the crowd. The bags of nuts would get thrown back to the tune of "get yer tits out, get yer tits out for the lads".

Stupidest thing i've heard at the Lane... has to be this;

It's a FILM SCORE ffs... nothing to do with Tottenham Hotspur at all!!

I still don't get why they play it... 'cos it sounds a little Dramatic and Choral...??
Well so does Macnamara's Band if you play it slow enough... very menacing!!

" Fuck off chadli you Judas"

With us playing well, the amount of dick comments has dropped sharply but some wanker yelled this at chadli yesterday.

I tell you my eyebrows raised perceptively.
Mr G me in the Irish centre a couple of years ago "Get rid of Walker he can't defend and Rose is a red card waiting to happen"I'll hold my hands up on that one.
Back in the day" Glenda your a ponch get the facking boot in" us youngsters knew what we were watching.... Ghod.

Mr G me in the Irish centre
Mr G me in the Irish centre a couple of years ago "Get rid of Walker he can't defend and Rose is a red card waiting to happen"I'll hold my hands up on that one.
Back in the day" Glenda your a ponch get the facking boot in" us youngsters knew what we were watching.... Ghod.
If we're going to include shite talked in the irish centre we'll be here all night. "get rid Bale is a joaner"

Stupidest thing i've heard at the Lane... has to be this;

It's a FILM SCORE ffs... nothing to do with Tottenham Hotspur at all!!

I still don't get why they play it... 'cos it sounds a little Dramatic and Choral...??
Well so does Macnamara's Band if you play it slow enough... very menacing!!

Duel of fates: Epic musical score about the coming together of two great opponents in a glorious battle of good v's evil.

MacNamara's band: Song about some musical paddys.

To be honest, I know what would rouse me more before taking on an opponent.

Duel of fates: Epic musical score about the coming together of two great opponents in a glorious battle of good v's evil.

MacNamara's band: Song about some musical paddys.

To be honest, I know what would rouse me more before taking on an opponent.
Funny... but that's the point. The 'Film Score' music only tricks the players into believing they're actually taking part in a Film version of the game; where it doesn't matter if you go a goal down, the script will dictate you win out eventually....
It lulls them into a false sense of security... 'cos sometimes, the Film's rubbish and it has a lousy ending!
Not always, granted... but I'd rather they had the jaunty jingle of OUR History bouncing round their heads, than some 'epic' Music that's 5 minutes old and anyone could use!

Funny... but that's the point. The 'Film Score' music only tricks the players into believing they're actually taking part in a Film version of the game; where it doesn't matter if you go a goal down, the script will dictate you win out eventually....
It lulls them into a false sense of security... 'cos sometimes, the Film's rubbish and it has a lousy ending!
Not always, granted... but I'd rather they had the jaunty jingle of OUR History bouncing round their heads, than some 'epic' Music that's 5 minutes old and anyone could use!

I'd still prefer to listen to a rousing war theme than a jaunty jingle, I want our players preparing for battle, to be psyched up to destroy the opposition, not to let them pass us by with little more than a top'o'the morning because they are feeling jovial and nostalgic.

I'm not entirely sold on the 'Ready or Not' remix either, feels like an X Factor intro, I kind of expect to see Simon Cowell and some judges walking out of the tunnel....

As for the crowd, I've been at the lane several times to hear Defoe getting dogs abuse, then scoring a vital goal, being called a 'West Ham reject':llorisunsure:

In the south upper about 8 years ago. Evening fixture, Jenas goes down with an injury deep inside the North End of the stadium. Fella a few rows back pulls out a pair of binoculars and announces to the stadium "yes ... yes ... It's a broken metatarcial"

Not technically heard but saw a Korean fan buoy put the one of these on in the ground yesterday.... made me laugh as looked like he had grew a beard during the second half......
il_340x270.873830639_njqq.jpg

What's your avatar MV? Looks like a nice firm on the Embankment.

I'm not entirely sold on the 'Ready or Not' remix either, feels like an X Factor intro, I kind of expect to see Simon Cowell and some judges walking out of the tunnel....

This for the new ground...?

:tobyarm::tobyarm::tobyarm:

If we're going to include shite talked in the irish centre we'll be here all night. "get rid Bale is a joaner"

The Irish centre reminded me of a classic. I had moved to Suffolk and agreed to meet my dad and his mates at the Irish centre before a home match. The week before there had been large demos in London from people wanting to protect rural lifestyles, like shooting animals and so on.

Anyway I get to the Irish centre, grab a beer and a few minutes later in troops the old man and the rest of the Somerset posse, this spurs fan near me turns to his mate and says ' fucking hell here comes the countryside alliance'

It took me a good few minutes to stop laughing......

Back
Top Bottom