StubHub

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I had a season ticket since 1982, so I think I earn the my right to go when I like thanks.
What bullshit. I've been going for 21 years and have paid countless thousands in that time to attend games while sitting on the waiting list. Have I not earned the right to go when I like instead of getting dumped in stupid ballots or having to pay right off prices? o say that you, as a season ticket holder, are not privileged over other fans, would be a lie. You have what many have been waiting years for.

Of course you like stubhub, because it enables you, as a season ticket holder, to rip off other fans. But fans, especially long term ones like you, should help out other fans, not screw them over. In my opinion the only additional costs that should be added to stubhub are admin costs for the club and the stubhub service, which should be split between the buyer and the seller. Otherwise tickets should be re-sold at normal ticket prices. Not inflated to gargantuan prices just so some cunt can take other fans for a ride. If you don't want to go, why should you expect someone else to pay entirely for the admin that entails?

Has anyone else seen the ST Holder in Block 30, Row 9 who has put their seat up for the Norwich match for £25K. They should have their season ticket taken off them.

Whoever that was, I don't think they were actually expecting it to be sold, but more likely was listed to demonstrate the stupidity of the system.

This is the bit i dont get ; How are 50k members being fucked by the club. All games have reached general sale.
Johnny Tourist then buys one off StubHub at a mark up. Every member who wanted a ticket, got one.

If a ST holder wants to earn a little bread to help pay for next years ticket or Euro away travel,can't see the problem.
The problem is "fans" making money off other fans.
This will stagnate the turnover of ST holders. People won't move up the list because ST holders will simply make a profit from a couple of games and not give a shit if they only make 4 games a season because their ST is paid for.

Good for atmosphere?
Good for support?
Good for the ones in line?

No

Good for short term profit, shit for long term club.

The existence of StubHub means there is little to no reason for anyone to ever give up their season ticket for the next supporter in the queue.

Should be got rid of at the earliest opportunity.

What I don't get is why not build an in- house solution if our own. Don't see the point to outsource. New stadium is a chance to re-set everything about ticketing. I'd use this opportunity to bring in retina scanning for entry, it will stop the Spurs fans selling tickets and stop the touts. Build an online ticket exchange owned an run by club, no longer have paper tickets, which means no postage fees, no admin fees. Encourage fans to hand tickets back by by making a percentage available for schools or others deserving e.g. Armed forces, disabled, terminally ill etc. Those that fail to turn up to matches having paid will be fined or lose their ST.
We had an in-house solution before. ST holders who couldn't attend told the club, and were refunded the face value of that match minus 10%. Then the ticket was put up for sale on the official site at face value again. Worked perfectly. This is absolutely the model we need to go back to.

Retina scanning (or something similar such as needing to show photo ID matching name on ticket) would be hated by a huge number of fans - one, because it would seem overly intrusive to privacy; and two, because of the huge numbers of people who either loan a mate their season ticket when they can't go, or benefit from being loaned a season ticket when their mate can't go. Not to mention the fact that it would slow down entry to the ground hugely and would almost certainly lead to confrontational situations at the turnstiles.

As for being fined or losing your ST for not turning up, that's never gonna fly. Imagine you're driving to the match and you have a car accident so can't make it, or if your wife or kid gets hospitalised the morning of a match... a fine or a loss of an ST would be an almighty extra kick in the balls when you're down. If you fail to turn up, all that should happen should be a deduction of 3-5 loyalty points.

Im sure I read somewhere that the current stubhub deal ends in May. Hopefully the club are aware how unhappy fans are with it and they take the resale of tickets back in house. I suppose ST holders will argue they have paid for the ticket and it is up to them how often they attend which is fair enough but if when we are in the new stadium there is still a big waiting list for ST's I think ST's must be seen to be active to be retained for the following season. IE can be resold for a maximum five times and the access card scanned at least 10 times during a season.

Personally I think thats bollocks.

It's not an asset to be bartered with, if you can't go you sell it face value back to the club/another supporter. If you consistently can't go then don't buy one and let someone else who can get the ticket. The fact you've gone the last ten years is irrelevant imo, there may be thousands of people in the queue who would love to go every week and will do for the next 10 years but can't because some bloke is funding his own season ticket by selling his old mans old ticket or similar.

Alot of the issues we have around ticketing are because people just sit on them or use them for profit

What bullshit. I've been going for 21 years and have paid countless thousands in that time to attend games while sitting on the waiting list. Have I not earned the right to go when I like instead of getting dumped in stupid ballots or having to pay right off prices? o say that you, as a season ticket holder, are not privileged over other fans, would be a lie. You have what many have been waiting years for.

Of course you like stubhub, because it enables you, as a season ticket holder, to rip off other fans. But fans, especially long term ones like you, should help out other fans, not screw them over. In my opinion the only additional costs that should be added to stubhub are admin costs for the club and the stubhub service, which should be split between the buyer and the seller. Otherwise tickets should be re-sold at normal ticket prices. Not inflated to gargantuan prices just so some cunt can take other fans for a ride. If you don't want to go, why should you expect someone else to pay entirely for the admin that entails?
Totally agree; anyone reselling tickets for profit exemplify everything wrong with football; no concern for fellow fans ! ST holders would rightly complain about price hikes at the beginning of a season so to resell for profit is utter hypocrisy!

A season ticket is just that! If you sign up for one you sign up full well knowing your signing up for 19 home league matches + a few more in the cups. If you can't attend for whatever reason then that's your own doing (unless it's a family emergency). So for you mkkid mkkid to moan about a - %10 percent loss for a match you can't attend is fucking laughable.

The old system worked well for everyone apart from the people who want to make a profit with their tickets. Issue with season tickets is that they are so hard to get a hold of most will do anything to sustain keeping one which in return means cunting us off. I'd love to meet some of these people, most likely it's the same old miserable pricks who fuck off with 10 minutes to go, no matter what the score is ( not directed at ya mk, unless you are one of them :pochserious2:).

What you need to realise is being a season ticket holder is a privilege and not a chore. Once it becomes just that then it's time to call it a day.

For me the issue is Stub Hub itself. The Stub Hub process loads up the fees on sales which means to sell a ticket at face value requires the seller to list it below face value to get their money back and also ( I might be wrong ) is there then not a buyers premium added on when you purchase ? That's totally unfair and adds a lot of the anger to this debate.

The reality is that any kind of return / resale process involving the club would = overhead charges. No business is going to take that on when a company like Stub Hub will pay the club to take on the burden.

Did Spurs do something in capping the resale prices last year ? If yes, was it enough ? Probably not, but then I'd suspect their contract with Stub Hub prevented too much market interference.

It is often missed in this argument that some games have tickets under face value, so that is a huge positive for some fans. Friends of mine had tickets near us for £25 last season where as my season ticket cost was closer to £50. So it's not a one way street. Sure if you want to see Woolwich it's going to cost a premium, but in that case the actual available tickets are less and we all know supply / demand and pricing increases go hand in hand.

Once we are at Wembley and the new stadium this is a non issue anyway. You will have people giving tickets away, as happened for the Champions League matches.

I am lucky in that if I can't go to a game I have friends who will take my ticket. So I don't have to use Stub Hub. I can understand why it is emotive as a process, it's flawed.

In response to some of the other points made I feel it needs to be said that sometimes it happens that you can't always attend every game as a Season ticket holder as life gets in the way of attending. That is not a reason to attack fellow fans, as some have.

As an example my Daughter was born on a day we played Man Pooh and while comedy value could suggest I should have gone Spurs regardless, no way is that realistic.

I've also missed games due to weddings, illness and family issues. Attacking someone for failure to attend Spurs for these reasons is frankly laughable. Just because we are season ticket holders we are not immune from wider events.

And attacking fellow fans due to their age ( "Old Boys" - "Same old Miserible pricks") is out of order. You would not attack anyone for their Skin colour so why do agest comments become acceptable, even if light touch ? If you are young now and if you are very lucky, one day you will be older and at that point you might understand how that feels. Until then best to avoid the young v old fan narrative.

It says 4 available but then when you click the game it says none? Weird
I saw that but I think people must be currently purchasing them.

1875 Bournemouth tickets sold on stubhub with another 30 (at least ) available.
Not sure how many season ticket holders there are at WHL. Say it is 25,000. That is 7.6% of fans not going. Not good enough in my book especially considering the season we are having.

Ive just sent the following email to [email protected] :
Hi
I’d like to report what appears to be ticket touting that will be taking place at Tottenham Hotspur games in the 2013 – 14 season.

It’s called Stub Hub and seems to allow tickets to be sold online at the ticket holders (possibly over face value) asking price.
I look forward to your response

I don't get the anger. Sure, understand the "moral" point around it (dependent on your politics and views on free market economies) but anyone who wants a ticket can get one off the official site surely? Norwich and Swansea went to general sale so no members have missed out? Surely the only people buying off StubHub will be Johnny Tourist who previously bought one off a dodgy Russian internet site or off the shady old boy in the leather bomber jacket outside William Hill? Season ticket holder gets their money back that they didn't on the old exchange.

What am I missing?
What about the big games though?

I think the real point is that, after years of being warned against buying tickets off of touts and being told that the club is clamping down on ticket touting, not only is it now legal but the club are actively promoting it. Hypocrisy innit

Stub hub, ticketmaster, viagogo all the same.
Legalised ticket touts who cater for touts and any other would be ticket touts, like ST holders, fans who think it's a good idea to sell a ticket at a massive profit to another.
Any ST holder who cannot go to the game should be able to sell the ticket, through the club at the face value of that ticket.
Preferably to another member first.

Loads of season ticket holder complained about the old system, we lost money selling them back to the club, I ended up selling them to friends instead.
Well that's a choice for each ST holder to make - take a 10% hit and stay within the T&Cs of the ticket, or sell to a mate at face value or whatever price you agree. But the ability to move your ticket on "legally" with the loss of only a few quid is a pretty nice privilege to have. And with demand for STs being so high (in the current stadium at least), ST holders should be incentivised to actually use their tickets themselves. STs are a precious commodity, and when you buy/renew them you're making the commitment to go to the matches. If you can't make it to lots of the matches, then you shouldn't be buying an ST.

Those wanting to sell match tickets at a profit may find it difficult with the higher availability at Wembley and New WHL. Hopefully no use or need for Stubhub after this season.
I am in the process of writing an email to THFC - anything else I should say although I imagine it has all been said before.

Restrictions on stubhub at very least

With the introduction of stubhub there is no need/motivation for people who move away/abroad or just lose interest (!) to give up their season ticket. I have noticed that there are many, many seats that are, without fail, put up for sale on stubhub for every home match (premier league). It is like having a second home and renting it out to make some extra money.

I realise that there are often quite genuine reasons why season ticket holder are unable to attend every game, but if THFC continue to use stubhub, then surely restricting the number of games a season ticket holder can sell (maybe 4 times a season) will do away with this abhorrent practice of just making money out of your season ticket.

Its bollocks, what motivation is there for anyone to give up a season ticket if they can sell it at a profit every year?

People who have been waiting for years who want to actually go to games are going to be the real losers

Back
Top Bottom