Stop Chasing AVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's the point, one of the things you moan and whinge on about half the time is our style of play. Yet you laud Di Matteo for Stoking his way past Barca and Bayern.

Did i, care to show me where i lauded him? It was you who brought him into it, i just pointed out the team that sacked avb went on to win the CL.

The-Scarecrow-1.jpg

and one of the points of the original article was talking about the team redknapp inherited.

Last edited:
And to be honest, and this is in no defence of AVB, I do not think di Matteo had much to do with anything that happened after AVB left. The players virtually managed themselves, Drogba was the defacto manager, and I still cannot fathom how they actually won the CL.

Because we finished 4th If Newcastle had done it Robben scores that pen. #spursy

I was perfectly happy with us winning 1-0 and being a little bit 'boring' whilst we let players bed in. And people seem to conveniently forget that just because we only won 1-0 against Cardiff (who have so far taken points of city and united) doesn't mean we didn't dick them for 90 mins and their keeper had a blinder.
But no. People weren't happy with simply winning games. Playing a possession based game that didn't allow the opposition to get anywhere near our goal and eventually break their resolve. Yeah we got some penalties to win games. Well guess what? Penalties are usually given because a defender has fouled an attacking player whilst they are in the midst of creating an opportunity to score from open play.
Instead we suddenly though that we'd actually been supporting man united for the last 20 years and DEMANDED that we smash everyone with style and goal of the month contenders whilst using an almost entirely new team. I believe this has filtered through to the players, management an the board and the result has left us looking far less stable and patient and much more open on the counter attack.

Again. AVB has made a few errors in hindsight. But so has every other manager this season. Even the great mourinho.

Back
Top Bottom