Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Your opinion of Bergwijn is a good test of whether you have any kind of deep appreciation for the game. He's absolutely vital for us, that RW spot is his, no one else comes close.

Dembele needed to score more goals to have been a complete player. The point I was making was that we have too many players who don’t score.
Modric too, didn’t score enough either. Both shit, I would prefer Kevin Nolan in midfield than either of them, more of a goal threat

Who is this guy and why is everyone so happy to sign him. Is he a striker or a DM or a LB?

I’ve seen him play once. I can’t pronounce his name. I’m not sure what position he plays.

But I can categorically tell you that he’s the best talent in Europe and will help us win the league.

"He's the paciest player in the Eredivisie," says Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan; listen to the Transfer Talk Podcast for the full lowdown

With Tottenham set to sign Steven Bergwijn from PSV Eindhoven, Dutch football journalist Marcel van der Kraan has given the Transfer Talk Podcast the inside track on the "electric" forward's move.

Bergwijn, who made his international debut in October 2018, was kept out of PSV training this week and has been in London to undergo a medical at Tottenham ahead of the transfer being completed.

Here, Van der Kraan explains why the Netherlands forward can follow in the footsteps of Marc Overmars and be a success in the Premier League...

How Bergwijn's move played out:

"The player met with Mourinho on Tuesday morning. He travelled over with his parents and agent, and has been very keen on the move to be done on time.

"This is why he almost caused civil war at PSV on Sunday when he told them two hours before a match, 'sorry, I'm not going to play in this Eredivisie match, I'm off to London'.

"At first, the fans could not believe their star player was not prepared to play that afternoon.

"At that time, all was not revealed, but there was a co-operation from the board that was not made clear to the fans. Why did the board co-operate and why did the manager allow him to leave? Because the club needs the money. £26m is half of the total budget of the entire PSV squad for a whole year.

"You can imagine the club were keen to do a deal, although it was difficult to sell it to the fans when the club aren't doing well anyway.
"He signed a new contract and they discussed maybe in the summer if a big club comes, he wants permission to leave and there has to be a clause in the contract.

"They were not counting on January. The player said if he has to play at PSV for the rest of the season, if they do not co-operate with a transfer to Tottenham, he would play till the end of the season, but they were willing to let him go, and I think he's over the moon PSV gave him permission."

What will Bergwijn bring to Spurs?

"He's small, nippy, quick. I would think he's the paciest player in the Eredivisie. A pacier player than Bergwijn we will not see again.
"He has been lightning in some top games for PSV, and this is also the reason why Holland coach Ronald Koeman is counting on him at Euro 2020 this summer.

"Koeman has lost Memphis Depay to a cruciate knee ligament injury, and he still has Bergwijn who can do damage as a striker, a left winger. He can almost play in three or four positions up front. That's very interesting for Mourinho.

"A player in the Premier League who has absolute pace, and we go back as far as Marc Overmars at Woolwich... when you have pace, class, the Dutch skill and technique, I think those players will do well."

Is Depay's United stint a cautionary tale?

Memphis Depay swapped PSV for Manchester United in 2015, but stayed at Old Trafford for just 18 months...

"The main thing there is if you go at the right time. Bergwijn has played for a number of seasons in the Eredivisie, Memphis had only just arrived on the scene.

"Even Louis van Gaal when he signed him [Depay] said it was a bit early, and was going to sign him in two or three years' time, but Depay wanted to move early and Liverpool were on the scene. United realised they had to act.

Depay left Manchester United after an ill-fated 18-month spell
"If we see where Depay is today, he has been vital for Holland and playing very well for Lyon. Maybe some players must not turn up too early in the Premier League - you see that with academy players too, who go out on loan first."

And finally... who's getting the better deal?

"Spurs will see they have a player who gains value in the next few years. He's young, electric, an international player already and will star in the Euros.

"If Holland do alright in the Euros, then Spurs will see his value go up. I cannot see him fail at Tottenham. PSV have lost a massive player."

0 goals and 0 assists in well into double figure games this season ain't cutting it. Not even managed either against some of the farmers we've played. If dele had the same output with the same amount of playing time (someone I'm very critical of) people would be baying for blood. Barring a couple of brilliant moments (and even in those games he was largely anonymous ) he's been absolutely average at best. He's being carried he can't even beat a player.

For those negative Nancy’s saying he is not good enough because he missed a sitter today (it was A good chance but not a sitter with a keeper rushing out at you) I saw City miss better chances today. Mahrez slip with the goal at his mercy anyone?

I mean, I’ve seen Kane miss countless chances when he is one on one with the keeper. He doesn’t score each time.

give the kid a break. He did good today. He will have worse days for sure, but today he should bask in being a major contributor to a fabulous win.

Its fucking lunacy and delusion to be honest

After a game where we barely scraped by a battered/shit Leicester team…

Stevie B and Doherty are now good enough to play for any team in the world

Kane is now better than Lewandowski

We are now title contenders

:mourweird:
We had the highest xG for an away team all season. To phrase it that way is pathetic.

No one is claiming any of those ridiculous statements you made. Typical post from you. Really you are such a massive cunt.

I completely get where Bergwijn is coming from. No need to be extreme about this. It didn’t work out for him here, best for all parties if he moves on. Wish him the best in his career.

Levy would give them Rose + 10mil

Eindhoven isn't #upnorth :roseunsure:

BcQAmlt.png

The oracle has spoken

4 minutes ago
"Whoever is on about this kid being average is honestly on another planet. Kid is mustard! I know and watch loads of Dutch, Spanish, French and Bundesliga. I have admired this kid since he was 18 years old. Wait and 👀 "

Yeh, course you have you plank

Back
Top Bottom