Starting Line Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi, new to the forums.
Just thought I would ask what people believe to be a starting XI that should would use.
Not dependant on what the game is, and with no injuries.

After last night, I thought that Adebayor was making most things happen, and thats with no play time for a while.

Id personally go for something like this:

.......................Lloris
Walker, Chirches, Verts, Rose
Lamela, Eriksen, Dembele, Townsend
....................Ade
.......................Soldado

I do wonder how this is going to go down.. :levyeyes:

Not Adebayor, I'd push Lamela or Eriksen up to Adebayor position and have Sandro as defensive midfielder. Might prefer Lennon instead of Townsend, and would like to see Holtby getting a regular 2nd half appearance.

Adebayor may improve but Siggy and Defoe would be ok for late striker substitutions. Paulinho could probably rotate with Sandro/Dembele, Chadli could be emergency winger substitute - Capoue might be good at LB if he can play LB..

.......................Lloris
Walker, Chirches, Vertonghen, Rose/Capoue
Lennon, Sandro, Dembele, Lamela
....................Eriksen/Holtby
.......................Soldado

But don't really want to flaunt my tactical nous too much on here in case Levy pms me with a job offer

Welcome to the forums btw

Last edited:
Well from looking at what people have suggested, most people seem to think its a good idea to play and start our most expensive player? Hmmm I wonder how that works?
:lamelashock:

Why are people suggesting to play Lamela on the left?

He prefers the right.
He plays better on the right.
We spent 30 million on him.
Play him on the right.

The left, until we have better players for the position, should be for Lennon or Townsend to whip in balls for the striker.

Poor prick was cruising at Roma.... now look!!!

I like Lamela and Lennon for southampton, if Lamela fails townsend always good from the bench

Townsend was doing brilliantly on the left against Anzi, then for some stupid reason he went over to the right at half time, and as usual, cut in and shot rockets that were so off target.

I hate seeing Townsend on the right wing when Lamela is sitting on the bench.

Townsend Left and Lamela Right is what should be happening. Both young both show potential.

This would be my go to:

-----------------Soldado--------------
Townsend---Eriksen---Lamela
-----------Sandro---Pauli-----------
Rose-------Jan------Vlad-----Walker
-------------------Lloris-------------------

It fits our current roster the best and puts our best players (imo) in their correct roles. Sandro can stay back, while Pauli bombs up and gets back. Eriksen can feed it outside and inside. Townsend and Lamela are my preferred wings. Jan and Vlad are the best CB tandem we have.

I think we have two viable options.

Against sides we dominate possession against, generally weaker sides...

------------------------Lloris------------------------
Walker---Chiriches---Vertonghen---Rose
-----------------------Sandro----------------------
--------------Eriksen-------Holtby---------------
Lamela-------------------------------Townsend
----------------------Soldado----------------------

I think replacing Paulinho (who I'd have against ''tougher'' sides) with Holtby means that we have more creativity from our midfield and the opportunity for lots of 'triangle passing' between Eriksen, Holtby and Lamela, creating more opportunities to thread through to Soldado. Having Townsend on the left can also give us a secondary creative option of crossing for Soldado, rather than the through balls from the Aryan pair and pretty boy.

Against stronger sides...

------------------------Lloris-----------------------
Walker---Chriches---Vertonghen---Rose
---------------Sandro---Paulinho--------------
Lamela----------Eriksen----------Townsend
----------------------Soldado---------------------

Obviously, replacing Holtby with Paulinho we become a bit more rigid and functional, I also think Paulinho's late runs into the box are an underrated asset and would be very useful in a more counter-attacking setup inevitably being used against sides better than us who will have more possession. Dare I say it, those late runs that saw him pocket a few goals earlier in the year are rather Lampard-esque.

In essence, we payed a fuck load for Lamela, Eriksen and Soldado and I think it's key to our future they develop an understanding and if (when) they do, we'll see Soldado start scoring when he wants.

With the likes of Dawson, Capoue, Lennon, Sigurdsson, Dembele, Adebayor on then bench with Chadli, Dawson, Defoe on the periphery and Carroll and BAE to return our squad is in fantastic shape, despite the absolute despair I feel lately.

Anyway, this is my first post. Look forward to chatting shit and moaning Spurs a little with you all.

I think we have two viable options.

Against sides we dominate possession against, generally weaker sides...

------------------------Lloris------------------------
Walker---Chiriches---Vertonghen---Rose
-----------------------Sandro----------------------
--------------Eriksen-------Holtby---------------
Lamela-------------------------------Townsend
----------------------Soldado----------------------

I think replacing Paulinho (who I'd have against ''tougher'' sides) with Holtby means that we have more creativity from our midfield and the opportunity for lots of 'triangle passing' between Eriksen, Holtby and Lamela, creating more opportunities to thread through to Soldado. Having Townsend on the left can also give us a secondary creative option of crossing for Soldado, rather than the through balls from the Aryan pair and pretty boy.

Against stronger sides...

------------------------Lloris-----------------------
Walker---Chriches---Vertonghen---Rose
---------------Sandro---Paulinho--------------
Lamela----------Eriksen----------Townsend
----------------------Soldado---------------------

Obviously, replacing Holtby with Paulinho we become a bit more rigid and functional, I also think Paulinho's late runs into the box are an underrated asset and would be very useful in a more counter-attacking setup inevitably being used against sides better than us who will have more possession. Dare I say it, those late runs that saw him pocket a few goals earlier in the year are rather Lampard-esque.

In essence, we payed a fuck load for Lamela, Eriksen and Soldado and I think it's key to our future they develop an understanding and if (when) they do, we'll see Soldado start scoring when he wants.

With the likes of Dawson, Capoue, Lennon, Sigurdsson, Dembele, Adebayor on then bench with Chadli, Dawson, Defoe on the periphery and Carroll and BAE to return our squad is in fantastic shape, despite the absolute despair I feel lately.

Anyway, this is my first post. Look forward to chatting shit and moaning Spurs a little with you all.
I couldn't agree more.
Welcome to the forum :)

Interesting to see that not many people include Chadli in their starting lines up, especially with Townsend injured. If we do go with Lamela on the right, and given the fact we spunked 50m on him I'd be pretty pissed if not, we can surely rely on him for flair and direct running. Chadli is therefore a decent counterbalance on the other wing, industrious and will get the ball into the box. To be honest Chadli strikes me as exactly the sort of player we need right now, someone who will put a shift in and create a chance through sheer hard work if not trickery.

On a side note I've been a lurker in this forum since the very early days and the last time I can remember this many new members signing up and commenting, including me I suppose, is when we signed Dempsey and were flying. The only upside of these last few defeats has been the shrinking away of the more fairwether fans and true yids standing up to be counted! :sandroscream:

Back
Top Bottom