Spurs Youth 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

An update on our main u21 forwards performances :

Jamie Donley (age 19)
- 14 PL2 appearances (1205 mins) - 4 goals and 12 assists (16 goal involvements)
- 3 EFL Trophy appearances (270 mins) - 2 goals and 3 assists (5 goal involvements)
- 4 short first team appearances (less than 20 mins total)

Yago de Santiago (Age 20)
- 14 PL2 appearances (1197 mins) - 8 goals and 6 assists (14 goal involvements)
- 2 EFL Trophy appearances (180 mins) - no g/a
- A few first team bench appearances (no mins played)

Will Lankshear (Age 18)
- 15 PL2 appearances (1143 mins) - 14 goals and 1 assist (15 goal involvements)
- 3 EFL trophy appearances (174 mins) - 2 goals and 1 assist (3 goal involvements)

Jude Soonsup-Bell (Age 20)
- 16 PL2 appearances (1128 mins) - 9 goals and 4 assists (13 goal involvements)
- 3 EFL Trophy appearances (227 mins) - 2 goals and 1 assist (3 goal involvements)

Probably the most prolific set of forwards at u21 level that I can remember Spurs having at any one time....... and in addition we have Dane Scarlett and Troy Parrott

The real question is what to do with all of them next year - to which the answer is probably loans (although potentially Lankshear staying until January to complete the 2 year qualification period to be a List B u21 player for UEFA). But with our weakness at LW whether Santiago would be an adequate back up to a LW position and get enough minutes to develop him ? Aged 21 in January but already qualifies as a Club trained player for 25/26, and probably already has the requisite size and technical skills to contribute, just not the high level experience.

That's the spirit 🤣👍🏻

He's excelled all season and has a similar skillset to Werner. I would much rather the club spend on true starting quality and get creative around who fills the rest of the minutes.

I'm all for our academy producing first team players.

Santiago however is 21 years old in a few days time and has barely played mens football. He isn't better than Werner, nor would he produce more than Werner. And up until this season, was much of a non entity.

He'll either be sold in the summer or sent out on loan. (I personally hope he comes on pre season and plays well)

I'm all for our academy producing first team players.

Santiago however is 21 years old in a few days time and has barely played mens football. He isn't better than Werner, nor would he produce more than Werner. And up until this season, was much of a non entity.

He'll either be sold in the summer or sent out on loan. (I personally hope he comes on pre season and plays well)

Santiago becomes 21 on 1 January 2024, so is an u21 for both PL and UEFA during next season 2024/25 so does not need to registered as part of a 25 man squad. And Club trained the following season.

He started to look good last season but certainly elevated his performances this season. I think its down to Ange to see what he's like in pre-season and then decide if he could give him a reasonable number of minutes at Spurs next season and give himself an extra player or if he goes on loan next season.

Santiago becomes 21 on 1 January 2024, so is an u21 for both PL and UEFA during next season 2024/25 so does not need to registered as part of a 25 man squad. And Club trained the following season.

He started to look good last season but certainly elevated his performances this season. I think its down to Ange to see what he's like in pre-season and then decide if he could give him a reasonable number of minutes at Spurs next season and give himself an extra player or if he goes on loan next season.

He's 21 on Monday.

What’s Scarlett like in midfield?

He shows he's not a midfielder - not a regular position for him, he's always been very much a striker, can play off the wing at a stretch. Would need a run of games as midfielder plus training to play as a midfield player, but I think he will continue to be a striker at which he is very good..

Totally different from Donley who was a striker (and best striker in his England youth age group) who has dropped back into midfield and is a top attacking no 10 (with goals and assists to go with that position). Interestingly when Ange brought him on for 10/15 mins he was played more as a DM so think he's being encouraged to become a more rounded midfield player. Donley is much more like Kane than Scarlett in being a superb passer etc which aids a transition from striker to midfield player.

He shows he's not a midfielder - not a regular position for him, he's always been very much a striker, can play off the wing at a stretch. Would need a run of games as midfielder plus training to play as a midfield player, but I think he will continue to be a striker at which he is very good..

Totally different from Donley who was a striker (and best striker in his England youth age group) who has dropped back into midfield and is a top attacking no 10 (with goals and assists to go with that position). Interestingly when Ange brought him on for 10/15 mins he was played more as a DM so think he's being encouraged to become a more rounded midfield player. Donley is much more like Kane than Scarlett in being a superb passer etc which aids a transition from striker to midfield player.
i wondered if it had been a Paul stewartesque transformation and he’d been a revelation at CM - guess it’s more to do with him maxing out loan options, not being good enough for first team and not wanting to stifle lankshears opportunities.

Malachi Hardy started for England u16s in a 2-1 win over Italy, Blake Irow and Junai Byfield started on the bench. The Nigeria u16s were denied visas to Spain for some reason so there's only 1 more game now against Belgium on 15th.

Back
Top Bottom