Spurs Youth 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FT 2-2

We remain top of table, shame not a win today which would have meant nobody could overtake us, but with one point ahead, whilst unlikely, we could be overtaken

2 games left though

Outgrown U21 football.

Whilst I think a loan is the smart move next season. I really want to see him play for us and I do think the EL group stages are a great platform.

It could be but depends upon Ange agreeing to give him minutes - maybe starting with a 10 minute run out in an EL group match or League Cup game against EFL opposition, see how many minutes he's got before Christmas when EL group stages are on, and indeed how he's looked. But a loan in 2nd half of season looks sensible after that.

He did come on at the end of an FA cup tie this season, which including extra time was about 10 - 15 mins ..... playing as a DM v Burnley and made a few good challenges/tackles/passes plus a couple of mins at at the end of 3 PL matches (Man City, Brentford, Newcastle). so if he stays with Spurs first team, Ange should know enough about him to give him minutes in all the competitions Spurs are in.

And to be honest some CL group matches would not be beyond him either

Last edited:
It could be but depends upon Ange agreeing to give him minutes - maybe starting with a 10 minute run out in an EL group match or League Cup game against EFL opposition, see how many minutes he's got before Christmas when EL group stages are on, and indeed how he's looked. But a loan in 2nd half of season looks sensible after that.

He did come on at the end of an FA cup tie this season, which including extra time was about 10 - 15 mins ..... playing as a DM v Burnley and made a few good challenges/tackles/passes plus a couple of mins at at the end of 3 PL matches (Man City, Brentford, Newcastle). so if he stays with Spurs first team, Ange should know enough about him to give him minutes in all the competitions Spurs are in.

And to be honest some CL group matches would not be beyond him either
No more group matches are there?

Under the new format, teams will play eight matches in the new league phase (former group stage). They will no longer play three opponents twice – home and away – but will instead face fixtures against eight different teams, playing half of those matches at home and half of them away. To determine the eight different opponents, the teams will initially be ranked in four seeding pots. Each team will then be drawn to play two opponents from each of these pots, playing one match against a team from each pot at home, and one away.

No more group matches are there?

Under the new format, teams will play eight matches in the new league phase (former group stage). They will no longer play three opponents twice – home and away – but will instead face fixtures against eight different teams, playing half of those matches at home and half of them away. To determine the eight different opponents, the teams will initially be ranked in four seeding pots. Each team will then be drawn to play two opponents from each of these pots, playing one match against a team from each pot at home, and one away.

Fair comment - but I think the level of the group stages and league phase will be pretty similar, although there will be 8 matches now rather than 6 matches, as we will be facing opponents from each of the 4 seeding pots.

Any thoughts on Rio Kyerematen as LB for u21's, I think his 2nd appearances there in successive matches - a CM being switched to play as an inverted LB, mirroring the transition made is over ! season by Leo Black.

Tyrese Hall has probably nailed down the CM role in u21's that Rio Kyerematen would probably like to have, whilst we are pretty weak at LB.

Spurs U21's play again on Friday, and probably another opportunity to see Kyerematen as LB - if he doesn't play there it would seem that the experiment of playing him as LB

I think he's done remarkably well there but I don't believe this is a long term solution for us or him. Hall has rightly surpassed him in CM but he should get lots of minutes in central positions next season. Can we assume it'll be him, Hall and Abbott fighting for two of the positions? I've been a bit disappointed in Abbott, appears to me that he goes to the same invisibility cloak tailor as Jenas and Olusesi

I think he's done remarkably well there but I don't believe this is a long term solution for us or him. Hall has rightly surpassed him in CM but he should get lots of minutes in central positions next season. Can we assume it'll be him, Hall and Abbott fighting for two of the positions? I've been a bit disappointed in Abbott, appears to me that he goes to the same invisibility cloak tailor as Jenas and Olusesi
Do you still think Olusesi will surpass Hall and Rio next season as you said in January? Not been massively convinced myself although I think some of his better games haven't been available to watch. His numbers are pretty good but doesn't really take control of games in the way that other England youth midfielders players do.

Do you still think Olusesi will surpass Hall and Rio next season as you said in January? Not been massively convinced myself although I think some of his better games haven't been available to watch. His numbers are pretty good but doesn't really take control of games in the way that other England youth midfielders players do.
I think he's been useless since that post tbh. Needs another season in the 18s.

Back
Top Bottom