Spurs vs Monaco - Glorious Return to Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very interesting but for me, totally misleading. Nevin does get a little excited the wee punk.

WMBY : 115x75 mtrs
WHL : 110x73 mtrs
= approx 5 meters longer and 2 mtrs wider.
Not much in it to me. Always look at the 10 meter marker from the corner flag, how near it is to the penalty area- thats always a good indication on how big the pitch is? In this case approx a mtr more away.

We really can't use the pitch size or different stadium as an excuse.

If we ever want to win another domestic cup we are going to have to win at Wembley - only instead of us having 84,000 vs 1,000 it will be 30,000 vs 30,000 with the rest sponsors/neutrals.

It might not be 'home' but the advantage was still massively stacked in our favour.

Very interesting but for me, totally misleading. Nevin does get a little excited the wee punk.

Not much in it to me. Always look at the 10 meter marker from the corner flag, how near it is to the penalty area- thats always a good indication on how big the pitch is? In this case approx a mtr more away.
The point is the Square meter, not the extra meters in length, this has no baring. It's all about the space a player has to:
a) Exploit when with the ball - Give a creative player space (time on the ball) and he can be more creative. Also a player with pace has more space to run into, ever wondered why Townsend was good for England at Wembley and shit at WHL?
b) Defend when without the ball a player will now we have to run a few meters/steps more to close a player down. Might not sound like much on the face of it but it all adds up. An extra 4 steps to close a man down would result in approx an extra 7km to run over the course of 90mins per player (that's 70km further across the whole team). If you stick a ยฃ1 coin to your shoe and run 10k it will mean you would have lifted the equivalent of a 20 stone man!

It makes a big difference.

Last edited:

If we ever want to win another domestic cup we are going to have to win at Wembley - only instead of us having 84,000 vs 1,000 it will be 30,000 vs 30,000 with the rest sponsors/neutrals.

It might not be 'home' but the advantage was still massively stacked in our favour.
Agree with this in so far as crowd size etc. But the pitch size has a massive difference on the style of play and distance covered etc. BUT all in our favour not against us. It certainly should not be seen as an excuse. Playing in that stadium with that many fans behind you is a positive not a negative.

Did anyone else see the Geordie couple both wearing Newcastle shirts? I saw someone in a Dortmund top as well.

You have to expect some neutrals/tourists if we're selling 80,000 tickets but I can't work out why they'd wear Newcastle shirts to see Spurs v Monaco.

Did anyone else see the Geordie couple both wearing Newcastle shirts? I saw someone in a Dortmund top as well.

You have to expect some neutrals/tourists if we're selling 80,000 tickets but I can't work out why they'd wear Newcastle shirts to see Spurs v Monaco.
Only thing I saw that I didn't like was half and half scarfs. Other than that it was an amazing sight to behold to see so many Spurs in one place at one time, amazing.

Why does there need to be an excuse or why does anyone need to be blamed?? we had an off night it happens.

The pitch wasn't to blame, the stadium wasn't to blame, the right team was picked, we just weren't good enough on the night.
Many times in the Europa we were below par at WHL so saying the pitch was too wide or the stadium is the wrong shape is nonsense.
It's not a major kick in the teeth as we still have a chance to qualify. It's a wake up call that's for sure.

We will improve for the next few games, that I am sure of.

Why does there need to be an excuse or why does anyone need to be blamed?? we had an off night it happens.

The pitch wasn't to blame, the stadium wasn't to blame, the right team was picked, we just weren't good enough on the night.
Many times in the Europa we were below par at WHL so saying the pitch was too wide or the stadium is the wrong shape is nonsense.
It's not a major kick in the teeth as we still have a chance to qualify. It's a wake up call that's for sure.

We will improve for the next few games, that I am sure of.
Agree, we lost a football match 1-2.

Maybe we have to change the way we play a bit at wembley?

We should play him from the start. Even if he doesn't score, his work rate and hold up play is fantastic. He also works over the CB's which should created 2nd ball opportunities for AM's. (Kane was fantastic last year with his hold-up play and work rate when he wasn't scoring) from what I have seen of him so far he would be no worse than Kane at the beginning of last season, right now Kane offers nothing, no work rate, no pressing, poor hold-up play (not bringing anyone else into game).
True, especially as we are playing 3 games a week at the moment. Can easily give janssen some starts & kane a rest in some of those games.

Some posters on here must also right articles because most of the articles I am seeing are basically saying because we lost 1 of our 6 games so far that we are basically already eliminated from the group. Do football journalists just hate us on principle or bias?

True, especially as we are playing 3 games a week at the moment. Can easily give janssen some starts & kane a rest.
One thing that bugs me is the "rest" thing, no-one other than the club know his physical or mental state. For me he isn't playing well, we have a squad of players that should compete for the right to play. Kane isn't playing well and overtime I have seen Janssen play he offers the team more than Kane. Janssen should therefore play. If this means Kane can 'rest" and will therefore benefit in the long run then great, but right now Kane performances do not warrant his selection. (I love Kane BTW, he is just a passenger right now, offers nothing).

One thing that bugs me is the "rest" thing, no-one other than the club know his physical or mental state. For me he isn't playing well, we have a squad of players that should compete for the right to play. Kane isn't playing well and overtime I have seen Janssen play he offers the team more than Kane. Janssen should therefore play. If this means Kane can 'rest" and will therefore benefit in the long run then great, but right now Kane performances do not warrant his selection. (I love Kane BTW, he is just a passenger right now, offers nothing).

There's no harm in saying Kane should be dropped because he should. He has been poor this season.
His decision making has been awful. ( shooting when he should pass, pass when he should shoot )

Janssen should be given a go no doubt, but saying all that I think Kane could benefit by playing on Sunday as he could bag a few against Sunderland which would boost his confidence.
If we were playing any other team, i'd say drop him this week.

There's no harm in saying Kane should be dropped because he should. He has been poor this season.
His decision making has been awful. ( shooting when he should pass, pass when he should shoot )

Janssen should be given a go no doubt, but saying all that I think Kane could benefit by playing on Sunday as he could bag a few against Sunderland which would boost his confidence.
If we were playing any other team, i'd say drop him this week.
If it is a confidence thing then I wouldn't start him. I'd have Janssen run the defence into the ground and bring Kane on 2nd half against tired legs and hopefully he can hopefully fill his boots.

Did you even watch the video? lol

Some posters on here must also right articles because most of the articles I am seeing are basically saying because we lost 1 of our 6 games so far that we are basically already eliminated from the group. Do football journalists just hate us on principle or bias?

If we lose our next game it's very possible that we'd be out. We'd be bottom of the table.

Back
Top Bottom