Spurs v Villa Sunday 26 Nov 2pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The great shame is that this time it wasn't just us 'reverting to type' or 'bottling it', it was more about us being desperately unlucky. I know Romero and Udogie got silly red cards, but that wasn't the main damage, the main damage was Maddison and Micky, surely our best two players so far this season, both getting long term injuries within a few mins of each other. That's just really awful bad luck - how often does a team have its best two players injured in one match? The red cards and the loss were relatively insignificant compared to those injuries. And before that, it did seem as though we were starting to learn how to grind out results. The late goals against Sheff Utd for example (albeit in a game where we'd already have been ahead if the ref had done his job). Those injuries have just smashed us. :(

Let's just hope that there is a silver lining somewhere - let's not forget that many years ago, Kane only got into the side because of injuries, and look how that went... Please please please let's have a fringe player - youngster or not - have a fantastic game today and force their way into regular contention.

So whilst I do appreciate people thinking 'false dawn' etc, it has been so heavily influenced by incredibly bad luck, and personally I still have every faith in Ange, and in our best 11, to perform way better than recent seasons. (The weakness in the wider squad of course remains a different matter that can hopefully improve over time - but bringing in VdV, Maddison, Vicario, Udogie, Sarr, Biss, Bentancur, Kulu, are all surely steps in the right direction after a few years of expensive flops...)

Injuries. And you were saying.

Anyone who gets slated for thinking we are jinxed.

Back
Top Bottom