Spurs v Villa Sunday 26 Nov 2pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

13 games into the process, and I think there were more positives to take out of that game that the stupid Chelsea 7/1 defensive line bollocks or the Dier/Hojbjerg fudge cake at Wolves.

We played fucking well first half, and though there was a clear drop off second half to our pressing (which directly cost us the second goal) we still largely dominated and stayed on the front foot.

I was a bit concerned when I saw the line up, but fair fucks, I think it largely worked. That first half was as close to a Pep type performance as I think I’ve seen from us. For a chunk of the game was squeezed into the central 30 metres of the pitch, but we were moving the ball well, and created some great situations. That’s the shakiest I’ve seen Villa (though I haven’t watched many of their 90’s)

Lo Celso the biggest plus. Was probably the Motm today. We now know we have a genuine squad option, who can add creativity, back up Maddison or play with him as the other 8 in the 433. This is the structure and style of football that suits him. Just needs to stay fit.

Emerson was perfectly good as the RCB, much better than having Dier out there. And Gil, was decent in build up and works hard off the ball. He can probably also offer an alternative to Kulusevski’s plodding this season too.

Bentancur was doing ok in the 6 remit too, prior to going off. He’s a bit short of Bissouma’s physicality, athleticism, tenacity and pressure resistance, but a decent back up and better than Hot Potato Hojbjerg in the role.

Been saying this for a long while now, but our forward/attacking options are fucking poor and are letting us down terribly.

We pissed away so many great chances and situations to make great chances today with low IQ choices or actions and poor execution it was fucking woeful.

110m on bottom table players like Richarlison and Johnson is tragic business.
But Ange wanted Johnson I presume, that one is on him.

To be 1-0 up in ALL our last 3 games, and LOSE ALL THREE is naive at best, and downright stupid at worst!

Chelsea was a write off after the reds and the double injuries... But at least get a draw in one or two of them!!
First team since 2014 to lose 3 games in a row in which they had been winning.

We don't have much choice than to back him, nobody has succeeded at this club in recent times.
Whether that continues, remains to be seen, but it doesn't matter who is in charge, it's always a similar story, one crisis after another.
It might be a few weeks before, the team wins another game again.
I do think this one has been unusually harsh though.
That Chelsea game utterly fucked us. And we’ve lost Pape during international friendly and Bentancur again.

Besides poor finishing, The only concerning part of the half is that we fell off the last 10-15 minutes and it’s safe to assume that we can’t maintain the intensity we had the first 30.

We don’t exactly have promising options on the bench.
That seems to be a theme. A lot of games even with our first 11 we let teams come bs k. Palace and Fulham come to mind. Even Bournemouth I think had a some late chances. Who just beat SU away. Just not clicking at the moment. Said to guy next to me it looked one of those days it just wasn’t gonna happen. Even our goal to a nice little deflection .

What game were you watching to say Johnson has been very good? Tell me what he did that show cases talent worthy of almost £50M? His a lazy fucker, doesnt press, make any good movement and appears to lack any real technical skill. May be at forest in a counter attack team he was good?
In the first half (when I wrote the post) he was very good. Was getting into good positions, got past Digne twice and created opportunities from which we should've scored, and was a good presence overall. He fell off in the 2nd I agree, but I think that was due to him being tired.

On the way home from WHL and have this to offer:

Outside the ground felt flat - like a fan base with the wind taken out of their sails. Team selection was surprising - I think I predicted at the time a cricket score either way. Atmosphere was the most downbeat and quiet this season (maybe someone else might have a different opinion).

Some of the football Spurs played 1st half was outstanding. Felt like it was just a case of putting one of the first few chances away and we’d be off to the races. By the time we’d fluffed our 4th and 5th chance I felt like I’d read this script many times before. Predicted a defeat at HT as Villa couldn’t be that poor 2nd half and I thought we’d drop off.

I’m back to thinking that this sodding club is cursed again. The injuries and suspensions alongside the Spursy fragility and predictability is frankly depressing.

We’ll get ironed out in Manchester next Sunday, then we are looking at 4 defeats in a row with West Ham looking to make it 5 next week.

To end on a positive, the football was exhilarating at times. GLC had a very good game. Porro and Udogie all over the show (in a largely good way), Bentancur running things. It clicks (albeit for 45-60 mins) almost every week, just have to look back over the last 3 games to see where points have been lost (yes Romero I’m looking at you…)

No
Gil makes Lamela look ambidextrous
t sure why Gil is getting some strong criticism ? First start of the season. He held the ball well and was available for a pass on the left. He chased and pressed and made some nice little runs. Now compare with the effort Johnson put in. I wasn’t keen on his signing and so far I have not seen anything to justify his fee. Exactly what is his main skill set? I don’t think I’ve seen him take on and beat a player once., keep repeating his lack of effort is the worry. He never tracks back or even runs around to press.,

Atmosphere was the most downbeat and quiet this season (maybe someone else might have a different opinion).

Definitely noticeable from watching on the TV.

Didn’t even seem like many joined in with ‘Oh When The Spurs’ before the game, which surprised me.

Could be a combo of the sad passing of Terry Venables, and it being a Sunday game?

Back
Top Bottom