Spurs signing that excited you most?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't mean how exciting they were on the pitch after they'd signed I mean the most excited you've felt when you learned the player had signed.

Mine Jurgen Klinsmann

During the summer of 1994 my father and I watched quite a bit of the 94 world Cup together several times we both commented what a great player Klinsmann was and marveled at his talents over various matches, he scored 4 or 5 goals during the tournament.

At the time the PL wasn't the obvious destination for the world's finest players especially for a lower mid table train wreck like Spurs were at the time, Dad and I had various discussions about how great it would be if Klinsmann played for Spurs and both agreed it was, about as likely as winning the Lottery(which was due to launch later on that year) . Dad jokingly said if we do sign him I'll buy you the shirt with his name in the back.( a gift this magnificent only usually reserved for birthdays and Xmas)

A couple of weeks later during my morning routine of playing bamboozle on c4 then checking ceefax and teletext sport i saw an article on teletext that Spurs were going to put a bid in for Klinsmann!
Excitedly I went to inform my dad who dismissed it out of hand as more pie in the sky from teletext ( I had bought some pretty ridiculous teletext articles to his attention in the past) a couple of days later it had been picked up by the sun and over a few days the story had legs, dad still dismissed the idea, then the Sun got a picture of Sugar lunching with Klinsmann in Monaco! This was happening, a few days later we had signed him.

Dad bought me that shirt complete with Klinsmann 18 on the back, it was that horrible purple one and I loved it, we could sign Messi in this window and I wouldn't be as excited as I was back then, a real cherished memory and by Jove he didn't dissapoint(until he left)

I loved Jurgen but my favourite has to be the signings of Ossie and Ricky in 1978

Couldn’t believe it at the time

I don't mean how exciting they were on the pitch after they'd signed I mean the most excited you've felt when you learned the player had signed.

Mine Jurgen Klinsmann

During the summer of 1994 my father and I watched quite a bit of the 94 world Cup together several times we both commented what a great player Klinsmann was and marveled at his talents over various matches, he scored 4 or 5 goals during the tournament.

At the time the PL wasn't the obvious destination for the world's finest players especially for a lower mid table train wreck like Spurs were at the time, Dad and I had various discussions about how great it would be if Klinsmann played for Spurs and both agreed it was, about as likely as winning the Lottery(which was due to launch later on that year) . Dad jokingly said if we do sign him I'll buy you the shirt with his name in the back.( a gift this magnificent only usually reserved for birthdays and Xmas)

A couple of weeks later during my morning routine of playing bamboozle on c4 then checking ceefax and teletext sport i saw an article on teletext that Spurs were going to put a bid in for Klinsmann!
Excitedly I went to inform my dad who dismissed it out of hand as more pie in the sky from teletext ( I had bought some pretty ridiculous teletext articles to his attention in the past) a couple of days later it had been picked up by the sun and over a few days the story had legs, dad still dismissed the idea, then the Sun got a picture of Sugar lunching with Klinsmann in Monaco! This was happening, a few days later we had signed him.

Dad bought me that shirt complete with Klinsmann 18 on the back, it was that horrible purple one and I loved it, we could sign Messi in this window and I wouldn't be as excited as I was back then, a real cherished memory and by Jove he didn't dissapoint(until he left)
I was working nights at the time and was moving that day.My brother came round to help me move and the first words he said when i answered the door was " We've signed Jurgen Klinsmann". As i had been asleep all day i was totally in the dark about it all.A very exciting signing,agreed but overshadowed by Ossie and Ricky for me.Possibly an age thing as i was 10 when we got them.Was on the settee at home ill with tonsillitas and my Mum brought the paper in saying this might cheer you up.

I was working nights at the time and was moving that day.My brother came round to help me move and the first words he said when i answered the door was " We've signed Jurgen Klinsmann". As i had been asleep all day i was totally in the dark about it all.A very exciting signing,agreed but overshadowed by Ossie and Ricky for me.Possibly an age thing as i was 10 when we got them.Was on the settee at home ill with tonsillitas and my Mum brought the paper in saying this might cheer you up.

I was 11 when we signed Klinsmann so possibly the same for me, my Dad always used to bang on about the signing of Ossie and Villa and the headline on the morning paper " Tottenham sign the World"

Good call.
I don't recall us signing him, but remember him being a big favourite of the chaps.
I only saw him play once for us,but so glad i saw him.
Was Billy Nicks last signing for us. Brought us that glamour we had been missing. Scored a hat trick on his debut away at Newcastle. He single handedly relegated chelshit in front of 50,000 baying Spurs fans in 75. What a day that was and what a player. He played for Rangers and celtic too and when asked who his favourite team is he always replied 'Tottenham'.

Was Billy Nicks last signing for us. Brought us that glamour we had been missing. Scored a hat trick on his debut away at Newcastle. He single handedly relegated chelshit in front of 50,000 baying Spurs fans in 75. What a day that was and what a player. He played for Rangers and celtic too and when asked who his favourite team is he always replied 'Tottenham'.
Was it the Chelsea game that he gave one of their players the wanker sign after a bad tackle?

One of the games in our history i wish i had been at.
Amazing how they still go on about all being locked out.
Only one of theirs SH (in his book) just admits things didn't go their way that day with no excuses.
They just never showed that day. If they were locked out why didn't they hang about? A few I know have admitted it but not many do.

Did our fans sing Bye Bye Baby to the Chelsea fans?

Back
Top Bottom