Spurs signing that excited you most?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can remember getting to London at 6am on a Sunday morning from a Bob Dylan concert and reading the Sunday papers.
Incredible getting two World Cup winners after only coming up from Div 2 the season before!

Absolutely and they didn’t disappoint 😉

Although I was at Annfield a few months later when those Dipper cunts put 7 past us, (McAllister and Lacy both had mares although score line hugely flattered them), we got a kicking near Stanley Park afterwards with our minibus 🚐 virtually wrecked and we had to drive back with no windows as we had been bricked
Hated those cunts ever since

Lucas moura. At the time I had such high hopes and now a year or so later we are never going to forget him after last season

Last edited:
Gascoigne for me, he was a cut above all other midfielders in the league when at Newcastle, was ecstatic when we signed him.

Klinnsmann was a funny one, Spurs were playing a pre season friendly at Bristol fucking city 1982 limited....lots of talk in the away end that the deal was done. Went back to the local for last knocking so announcing to anyone he was signing....cue laughter and derision........next day in the papers I was looking at the pictures thinking bet your not laughing now bellends....lol!

Ossie & Ricky will be hard to beat for sheer glamour, and that there were TWO of them!!

I remember racking up quite the phone bill calling Spursline all afternoon the day we signed Gazza... that was quite exciting...

But for the finished article, and sheer audacious nature of the signing... it HAS to be Klinsmann!!

Definitely Klinsman. I was on a beach at the time in Tenerife and my mate literally started dancing with joy when he spotted it in the paper. I couldn't believe it at first.

Martin Peters was the first signing to thrill the socks off me (despite the sadness of losing Greaves in the deal)
after that all of the ones mentioned were up there.

Gazza and Lineker were both marquee signings in their day and Bale was widely touted to be the player he eventually became.
We've had some reall classy footballers.

Gascoigne for me, he was a cut above all other midfielders in the league when at Newcastle, was ecstatic when we signed him.

Klinnsmann was a funny one, Spurs were playing a pre season friendly at Bristol fucking city 1982 limited....lots of talk in the away end that the deal was done. Went back to the local for last knocking so announcing to anyone he was signing....cue laughter and derision........next day in the papers I was looking at the pictures thinking bet your not laughing now bellends....lol!

At the time Venables said Spurs and Manu had bid £2m for Gazza but we had bought him a fishing rod that swung it our way!!
Only years later it came out that Spurs had given him a personal loan of £50k...not really allowed but Mel Stein knew how to do a deal!

Greaves (a bit before my time but getting him ahead of Chelski is always good)

Ossie and Ricky

Lineker

Gazza

Klinsman

VDV (That one blew me away,)

AND

Rebrov (I thought we'd got a real star, he was banging them in with the other cunt in Russia)

The young American kid every thought was going to be great (Can't be arsed to do a Danny and find his name)

Was Billy Nicks last signing for us. Brought us that glamour we had been missing. Scored a hat trick on his debut away at Newcastle. He single handedly relegated chelshit in front of 50,000 baying Spurs fans in 75. What a day that was and what a player. He played for Rangers and celtic too and when asked who his favourite team is he always replied 'Tottenham'.
I was at that one, and it was memorable for all the right reasons! Atmosphere was electric, could hardly breathe it was so packed. I started at the back of the Park Lane and got pushed down to the front with my feet hardly touching the ground. Ended up on the side of the pitch as the teams came out, and we got moved to the corner at the front of the Shelfside.
That was followed by the Leeds game which was just as exciting. Although we had a real relegation battle that year that was only won on the last game of the season, it was a real roller coaster of a ride.

Ginola ................. sorry for being so much of a girl, but I was beside myself when we signed the lovely Daveed.

After that, Ossie and Ricky, then Gazza.

I know I should include Klinsmann, but the way he left, colours my opinion.

Genuinely excited by the pit bull EDGAR DAVIDS!! Especially at the time, we were in no mans land.... proper icon of that era in world football.

Klinsmann close.... I was 13.... so I had no real barometer to set it against.

Agree with other comments about Rebrov at the time... Ginola too.... and a special shout out to HUGO! Genuinely top 3 in world at time and not a million miles off today (top 10?!)

:llorishowudoin:

Back
Top Bottom