Spurs right now - first post

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi guys I have been a Spurs fan since birth (27 years) and have been listening to your podcast all season long. Originally from Winchmore Hill but I live in Los Angeles now so starved of Spurs chat, thought I would sign up, especially after I read your open letter to Daniel Levy which really struck a cord with me. I am dyslexic so please excuse the grammar & spelling at times. If this is the wrong place to post this let me know. Tried other spurs forums before but they were all a bunch of know it all twats. Spurs is my passion but my favorite sport is boxing, love to hear the boxng references on the show.

To give you an idea on my thoughts on Spurs right now;

AVB & Levy

AVB had the highest win percentage of any Spurs manager since the war, a list which includes Bill Nicholson, Keith Burkinshaw, Terry Venables and Harry Redknapp. We finished with our highest points total in the Premier League, and at this stage of the season we had only gained more points once. He had the best away record for a manager in the clubs history. His coaching also dramatically improved players like Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon and Kyle Walker.

However as a team we digressed this season. Some results were poor, some results were extremely poor. We only managed one win over a side in the top 10, and had scored less than a goal per game. The team was not gelling, and it was clear the team were not playing to its strength (inverted wingers), and playing up to its weaknesses (high line) Worst of all the football was boring, which is not acceptable for Spurs.

For me it was provably right decision to let him go, but in the end another manager let down by Levy. Modric & Bale sold, neither of them was replaced. Sherwood will do a good job for the rest of the season. But whether he stays on beyond the next year, or somebody else takes over in the summer, Levy will always be the bottle neck that stops us from competing with the top 4 by leaving transfers to deadline day, negative transfer spends, haggling over £500k and trying to distract us with a stadium that will never be built. Graham & Ramos got us trophy's, sacked the next season, Jol & Redknapp took us up a level, sacked the next season. Levy has questions to answer.

Current Squad & Chances for this year

The next few games will tell us allot, especially tomorrow night. Sherwood takes over a solid squad of players, 7th in the league and 5 points from 4th place that can challenge for a champions league place and make a run in one of the 3 cups just by playing to our strengths with the existing squad. That means bring back Ekkoto, Townsend/Lamela on the left and maybe even getting something out of Adeybyeor. I still beleive 1 up top is the way to go.

The New signings

Soldado will come good once we play wingers. I dubbed Paulinhio the new Jenas long before @ Flav Flav mentioned it on the podcast. Chirchiles has really impressed me. Capoue looks good but I think he is being over rated slightly. Lamela you can see there is a player there, needs to just be thrown in, I would like to see him behind the striker. Eriksen looked great v Norwich but has disappointed since, he looks lightweight and can't take a corner. Chadli at times has looked like he won a prize to play for Spurs and AVB just stuck him out of the way on the left wing, but he has been better in recent games.

Next Manager

I would keep Sherwood until the end of the season, see how he does, but I wouldn't mind Hoddle coming back with Sherwood as his No.2 for the rest of the season. Long term, if either do a good job stick with them. From the Premier League I would look at Mauricio Pochettino, Roberto Martinez, Michael Laudrup or Paul Lambert. From abroad, Diego Simeone, Rudi Garcia, Frank DeDoer, Jurgen Klinnsman or Roberto Mancini. But this issue with all of them will be that they won't be given time and they won't be fully backed by Levy.

Thanks, Rob.

Levy looks to be putting the right people in the place for what needs to be done. He knows he fucked up with transfers a few times too many and put Baldini in his place. Baldini brought in the seven players this summer, a great haul. Should we have brought in a left back? Of course. Are we fine in all the other positions? Yes. We just need time to get to know each other. Even the old guard need time to get used to the new faces, things don't happen over night. Levy is doing the right things, he doesn't have anything to answer for.

AVB was transparent. Anyone and everyone could see what he was building towards, he did not have the right roster completely to implement his tactics. The problem lies within his adaptability for the now, which was the then, which comes down to not wanting to change his set up to suit the players he has rather annoyingly setting up to how he wants to play. Square pegs and round holes as people have posted.

If he'd have bitten the bullet and played to our strengths and slowly developed towards what he wanted to employ then we'd be doing much better and he'd still have a job. He didn't thus he hasn't. His own stubbornness let him down.

Sherwood looks to be slowly integrated over time as a long term manager, he's getting given a test run to see what he can do, I believe he'll be sat down and spoken to where to improve. In short, given a chance as a trainee being shown the ropes.

Great opening post! I certainly agree that Levy's footballing decisions have been poor; at times, he's being too much of a businessman, and some of the subtleties of the game seem to pass him by.

The only thing I'm not sure about is playing one up front: Defoe and Soldado both, for me, would be more effective alongside another striker, and a fired-up Adebayor would be ideal for this.

Great opening post! I certainly agree that Levy's footballing decisions have been poor; at times, he's being too much of a businessman, and some of the subtleties of the game seem to pass him by.

The only thing I'm not sure about is playing one up front: Defoe and Soldado both, for me, would be more effective alongside another striker, and a fired-up Adebayor would be ideal for this.

Agree about Soldado and Defoe being more effective playing alongside another striker, just don't get Ade too fired up, last time that happened he was sent off against Woolwich :llorisserious:

Thanks. While I agree with you Soldado & Defoe would be good upfront with a partner, would the team end up giving something away in the defense/midfield. Very few teams play 2 strikers these days, and there is a reason for that. Personally I would like to see Lamela given a go in the Attacking Midfield role. He can play the sort of role Sheringham used to play, but also the role Van Der Vaart used to play.

Levy looks to be putting the right people in the place for what needs to be done. He knows he fucked up with transfers a few times too many and put Baldini in his place. Baldini brought in the seven players this summer, a great haul. Should we have brought in a left back? Of course. Are we fine in all the other positions? Yes. We just need time to get to know each other. Even the old guard need time to get used to the new faces, things don't happen over night. Levy is doing the right things, he doesn't have anything to answer for.

AVB was transparent. Anyone and everyone could see what he was building towards, he did not have the right roster completely to implement his tactics. The problem lies within his adaptability for the now, which was the then, which comes down to not wanting to change his set up to suit the players he has rather annoyingly setting up to how he wants to play. Square pegs and round holes as people have posted.

If he'd have bitten the bullet and played to our strengths and slowly developed towards what he wanted to employ then we'd be doing much better and he'd still have a job. He didn't thus he hasn't. His own stubbornness let him down.

Sherwood looks to be slowly integrated over time as a long term manager, he's getting given a test run to see what he can do, I believe he'll be sat down and spoken to where to improve. In short, given a chance as a trainee being shown the ropes.

Agree with allot of what you have to say, although remember that Soldado, Chadli, Paulinhio were all signed before Baldini got to the club.

I am fully behind Sherwood now. I hope he can be the mix between Redknapp & AVB. As I said of we just play to our strengths we should make top 6.

Good post, Rob. I can't say I disagree with much of that. I think you're being a bit harsh on Levy, though. He has high expectations for Tottenham which is why he's been so ruthless when we fall a little short.

On Hoddle, I have mixed feelings. One, he's obviously a legend and bleeds lillywhite but so did Ardiles and that was a disastrous tenure. He was the coach of England the last time the national team actually played well in a tournament. At Spurs, the squad he inherited was awful and we were so far behind the Sky Sports tm Big Four that there wasn't much he could do with it. I honestly don't think his Spurs team under performed. So, like you, I wouldn't mind him getting another chance at it.

Good post, Rob. I can't say I disagree with much of that. I think you're being a bit harsh on Levy, though. He has high expectations for Tottenham which is why he's been so ruthless when we fall a little short.

On Hoddle, I have mixed feelings. One, he's obviously a legend and bleeds lillywhite but so did Ardiles and that was a disastrous tenure. He was the coach of England the last time the national team actually played well in a tournament. At Spurs, the squad he inherited was awful and we were so far behind the Sky Sports tm Big Four that there wasn't much he could do with it. I honestly don't think his Spurs team under performed. So, like you, I wouldn't mind him getting another chance at it.

It would be great to see him working with a group of quality players. Last time out he had a squad allot of average players, and some of his best (Carr, Anderton) could never stay fit.

The 3-5-2 thing is a concern though. I do like the formation, but we don't have the players. It's clear to me that 4-5-1 is the formation for us, just with wingers on the natural side and not playing a high line without Kaboul/Chirchiles.

How do you upload a picture?
BvvyvLV.jpg

let's see boobs! :freundgoal:

Back
Top Bottom