Spurs HG Quota Status (Summer 2022 Update)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is where Ryan Reynolds plan to take Wrexham into the Premier League will come unstuck, besides the fact they are rubbish. I assume a Wrexham team would have to make the HG quota with only Welsh players and their English contingent would be considered Johnny Foreigner for them.

This could put a transfer market premium on Ben Davies head as a “must have” for any Welsh team in the Premier League. Sadly I think timing will be off as Davies will have retired and probably become an Uber driver annoying passengers with tales of how he once made it to the by line before crossing into the box long before Wrexham, Swansea or anyone else makes it close.
Wrexham would have no problems with HG in the EPL.
There would only be problems if they got into Europe.

Here are the 2 different Spurs squads for domestic and Euro games.

EPLEL
NON-HG (13)NON-HG (17)
1LLORISLLORIS1
2GOLLINIGOLLINI2
3ROYALROYAL3
4ROMEROROMERO4
5DIERDIER5
6SANCHEZSANCHEZ6
7REGUILONREGUILON7
8HOJBJERGHOJBJERG8
9NDOMBELENDOMBELE9
10LO CELSOLO CELSO10
11BERGWIJNBERGWIJN11
12MOURAMOURA12
13SONSON13
GIL14
DOHERTY15
DAVIES16
RODON17
HG (8)ASSOCIATION (4)
1DOHERTY
2DAVIES
3RODON
4ALLIALLI1
SESSEGNON2
CLARKE3
OMOLE4
CLUB TRAINED (4)
5AUSTINAUSTIN1
6WINKSWINKS2
7KANEKANE3
8TANGANGATANGANGA4
SQUAD TOTAL: 21SQUAD TOTAL: 25
SELECTEDSELECTED
U 21U 21
SESSEGNON
GIL
DEVINE
CLARKE
PASKOTSKI
LAVINIER
SARR
SKIPPSKIPP
SCARLETTSCARLETT
JOHNJOHN
WHITEWHITE
MARKANDAYMARKANDAY
CESAYCESAY
WALCOTTWALCOTT
BLFBLF
MATT CRAIGMATT CRAIG
MIKE CRAIGMIKE CRAIG
MUNDLEMUNDLE

In UEFA no, PL yes.
Definitely worth either getting rid off or dropping from the squad if we can get another RWB.

Don't need another RB in the short term...

Emerson, Japh, Stevie(?) ..... Lucas(?)

Just get rid to an EPL struggler and see how the land lies in the summer.

Just to add:
Devine has not been included in ECL squads as he was not eligible because Nuno decided to have Omole instead of Alfie in the association players list.

Last edited:
Just to add:
Devine has not been included in ECL squads as he was not eligible because Nuno decided to have Omole instead of Alfie in the association players list.

Next season Devine would be counted as an under 21/List B player as he will have completed 2 years at Spurs in UEFA squads - Omole would continue to require an HG place to play.

This January Spurs could choose to include Devine in the UEFA squad as an HG player at the expense of Omole (who might go on loan)

This is where Ryan Reynolds plan to take Wrexham into the Premier League will come unstuck, besides the fact they are rubbish. I assume a Wrexham team would have to make the HG quota with only Welsh players and their English contingent would be considered Johnny Foreigner for them.

This could put a transfer market premium on Ben Davies head as a “must have” for any Welsh team in the Premier League. Sadly I think timing will be off as Davies will have retired and probably become an Uber driver annoying passengers with tales of how he once made it to the by line before crossing into the box long before Wrexham, Swansea or anyone else makes it close.
Swansea seemed to manage a few years ago. Worst case I guess you just register the minimum number of random Welsh youth players and rely on the 17 foreigners.

Its no problemo ! One of Conte's first moves is to get us transferred to Seria A
That way he can just sign Italians with no problem.
Or.....

"Spurs borrow 6 Chelsea youngsters on loan ! "

Seriously, can you just hear those Woolwich fans chewing on their bumble bees !

So as we struggle to get Djed Spence transfer over the line I thought I would have a look at this from a CL perspective. Compliance with CL rules means compliance with PL.
the way UEFA explains it is a bit back to front but as far as I can understand.

- there is a max 25 of senior players allowed
- at least 4 of them need to be club trained
- at least 4 others can be trained by other clubs in the PL.

Club Trained
In a squad of 25 we would have the following ( assume Winks leaves)
- 3rd Keeper (Whiteman / Austen)
- Tanganga
- Skipp
- Kane

Other PL Trained
- Sessegnon
- Forster
- Spence (if he comes)
???

Looks like we would need a couple of the kids like Harvey White etc to make up the difference.

I have updated the OP to current situation. Let me know if it is unclear.

This is the situation regarding squad numbers and quotas for CL (PL is fine):

Disclaimer:
-I did not count any of the players who were loaned out last season (all of whom we are likely to loan/sell once again) or Bergwijn.
-I did include Lenglet

Non-HG Players = 18 (1 over the limit)
Lloris, Emerson, Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Romero, Rodon, Davies, (Lenglet), Reguilon, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Bissouma, Richarlison, Kulusevski, Lucas, Son
Sarr, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Gil, Bergwijn

Non-Club-Trained HG = 2 (within limit)
Sessegnon, Forster

Club Trained = 5 (within limit)
Austin, Tanganga, Skipp, Winks?, Kane

This is a summary of situation, and possible impact on rest of window:

Summary:
-We are 1 player over the limit when it comes to non-HG players.
-We must omit/sell 1 of either Rodon/Reguilon/Emerson/Doherty to meet the quota.

Effect on rest of window:
-We still want a RWB, AM, 2nd CB (1st being Lenglet).
-As long 1 of these 3 signings are HG, we can satisfy quota by omitting/selling 3 non-HG players. This can be Rodon & Reguilon & Emerson/Doherty.
-This would mean we have 2 players for each position (Reguilon out for an AM ideally balances our squad), even if you do not count Tanganga & Winks.
-If Tanganga or Winks are sold, each would need to be replaced by a HG to reach max senior squad limit of 25 .

So as we struggle to get Djed Spence transfer over the line I thought I would have a look at this from a CL perspective. Compliance with CL rules means compliance with PL.
the way UEFA explains it is a bit back to front but as far as I can understand.

- there is a max 25 of senior players allowed
- at least 4 of them need to be club trained
- at least 4 others can be trained by other clubs in the PL.

Club Trained
In a squad of 25 we would have the following ( assume Winks leaves)
- 3rd Keeper (Whiteman / Austen)
- Tanganga
- Skipp
- Kane

Other PL Trained
- Sessegnon
- Forster
- Spence (if he comes)
???

Looks like we would need a couple of the kids like Harvey White etc to make up the difference.

We also have Jack Clarke who is now over 21 as other PL trained. Pretty sure he will be sold / loaned.

It’s not like we get points deducted, right? Just means some senior pro’s can’t play in the CL….. which is actually a good lever to force them out and for agents to find them another clubs and force their client to see sense and FO

:tanguyhuh:

One of the reasons I'm less than buzzing over the Lenglet loan is that if Rodon (and/or Tanga) leaves we will have effectively undone the benefit of the Gollini/Forster swap.

Back
Top Bottom