Spurs HG Quota Status (Summer 2022 Update)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The HG Quota operates as a ceiling (max limit) for the number of non-HG players allowed in the squad.
We are very likely to be fine for the PL (as Davies, Doherty, Rodon count there as HG), but this is not the case for CL.

UEFA Rules:

'Non-HG Player' Max Limit= 17
'Non-HG Player + Non-Club-Trained HG' Max Limit= 21
'Non-HG Player + Non-Club-Trained HG + Club Trained' Max Limit= 25
U21 Club Players= Unlimited

Definitions:

HG= Players who were registered with a club in English FA for 3 years between 15 and 21
Club-Trained= Players who were registered with Spurs for 3 years between 15 and 21
U21 Club Players: Born after 1st Jan 2001, and have been eligible to play for Spurs for 2 years after turning 15.

Spurs' UEFA HG situation:

Disclaimer:
-I omitted players who have either been sold or are expected to be sold/ loaned (in strike through).

Non-HG Players = 16
Lloris, Emerson, Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Romero, Davies, Lenglet, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Bissouma, Richarlison, Kulusevski, Lucas, Son
Reguilon, Sarr,

Non-Club-Trained HG = 3 (within limit)
Sessegnon, Forster, Spence

Club Trained = 5 (within limit)
Austin, Tanganga, Skipp, Winks?, Kane

Effect on rest of window:
-We still want a AM, 2nd CB (1st being Lenglet).
-We can replace Rodon with another non-HG CB.
-If either Tanganga or Winks are sold, each would need to be replaced by any HG to reach max senior squad limit of 25. If both are sold, we would need to replace with one club-trained HG (unlikely...) and one normal HG.

Last edited:
This rule is going to significantly impact our transfer policy, and because we're already on the brink of breaching the HG rule, we will have to sell / ostracise foreign players before we buy any new ones.

The reason people get confused with HG rules is they try and estimate the minimum number of HG players needed. In reality it operates as a ceiling (max limit) for the number of non-HG players allowed in the squad.

UEFA Rules:

'Non-HG Player + Non-Club Trained HG' Max Limit= 21
'Non-HG Player + Non-Club Trained HG + Club Trained' Max Limit= 25

Definitions:

HG= Players who were registered with a club in English FA for 3 years between 15 and 21
Club Trained= Players who were registered with Spurs for 3 years between 15 and 21
U21 Club Players: Born after 1st Jan 2000, and have been eligible to play for Spurs for 2 years after turning 15.

Non-HG Players = 17 (on the limit)
Lloris, Gollini, Emerson, Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Romero, Rodon, Reguilon, Davies, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso Bergwijn, Lucas, Gil, Son

Non-Club Trained HG = 1
Sessegnon

Club Trained = 5
Tanganga, Kane, Dele, Winks, Austin

U21 Club Players =
Skipp (will turn Club Trained next year), Scarlett, etc.

I can edit to include PL rules if requested, but they're easier to meet than UEFA rules as Welsh/Irish players count as HG. So presume if we can comply with UEFA rules, PL rules also comfortably met.

I suppose if PL rules allow Welsh players it is less difficult. We just have to accept our UEFA squad may miss a few.

I suppose if PL rules allow Welsh players it is less difficult. We just have to accept our UEFA squad may miss a few.
Whilst we are in the shit cups, it's not that big a deal but something we need to seriously sort should we get back into CL contention.

I mean ultimately, this is why City spunked silly money on Grealish and Ake, Stones et al. And United with Sancho, Maguire. HG players come with a premium.

Whilst we are in the shit cups, it's not that big a deal but something we need to seriously sort should we get back into CL contention.

I mean ultimately, this is why City spunked silly money on Grealish and Ake, Stones et al. And United with Sancho, Maguire. HG players come with a premium.

Agreed. At least we have some poorer players like Davies who can be shipped out if needed.

This rule is going to significantly impact our transfer policy, and because we're already on the brink of breaching the HG rule, we will have to sell / ostracise foreign players before we buy any new ones.

The reason people get confused with HG rules is they try and estimate the minimum number of HG players needed. In reality it operates as a ceiling (max limit) for the number of non-HG players allowed in the squad.

UEFA Rules:

'Non-HG Player + Non-Club Trained HG' Max Limit= 21
'Non-HG Player + Non-Club Trained HG + Club Trained' Max Limit= 25

Definitions:

Club Trained= Players who were registered with Spurs for 3 years between 15 and 21
U21 Club Players: Born after 1st Jan 2000, and have been eligible to play for Spurs for 2 years after turning 15.

Non-HG Players = 17 (on the limit)
Lloris, Gollini, Emerson, Doherty, Sanchez, Dier, Romero, Rodon, Reguilon, Davies, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso Bergwijn, Lucas, Gil, Son

Non-Club Trained HG = 1
Sessegnon

Club Trained = 5
Tanganga, Kane, Dele, Winks, Austin

U21 Club Players =
Skipp (will turn Club Trained next year), Scarlett, etc.

I can edit to include PL rules if requested, but they're easier to meet than UEFA rules as Welsh/Irish players count as HG. So presume if we can comply with UEFA rules, PL rules also comfortably met.
Brilliant post mate. I've never seen it explained so clearly.

Fucking shit cups.

It's that kinda shit attitude that's seen us win one cup in 20 odd years.

Give me one of those 'shit cups' in our trophy cabinet any day rather.

Fucking shit cups.

It's that kinda shit attitude that's seen us win one cup in 20 odd years.

Give me one of those 'shit cups' in our trophy cabinet any day rather.
I'm dismissing their value if we win them, but whilst they aren't "elite" level, our "shit players" will have to do.

For the record I think we should have taken these things more seriously in the past, and 100% should be aiming to win the inaugural Conference one but we lack the quality and depth.

I think there are some areas that we can look at to easily help with HG players. The biggest issue looks to be club trained players as Winks and Dele, and maybe Kane if Conte isn't enough, are all guys that we would want to move on.

I see almost no reason that we don't have one of our top two GK's as HG. I get that the thought may have been that Gollini has a chance to take over for Lloris but I don't think we have a single different result if we had someone like Tom Heaton or Ben Foster as our 2nd choice keeper behind Lloris. I also don't think either are a drop off from Gollini if Lloris is out long term and they have to step in for a long stretch.

Back-up forward. Yes we all want Vlahovic but I think there would still be room to bring in another player to fill in that role and could be HG.

CB depth, surprised that we have only 1 CB that count as HG in UEFA. I think we should had added someone like Godfrey in the past, but if we are (hopefully) moving on from Dier, Sanchez and maybe even Rodon since he never seems to get in, adding a HG guy to replace one of them guys should be able to be done.

The Welsh thing drives me so insane.

The intent of these rules is to encourage leagues and clubs - not national associations - to invest in youth development.

Swansea City where both Rodon and Davies are academy graduates is subject to the EFL/PL scheme of youth development and its HG policy. The fact of the club being located in Wales is immaterial.

Ben Brereton is a guy I have heard good things about. Hopefully unlike his predecessor Adam Armstrong he would be able to bring some of that Championship form into PL.

Brereton would be great although if we are keeping Kane and bringing in Vlahovic not sure that he would be keen on coming but it would be nice to finally have quality depth up front.

So would a Welsh player that plays for Swansea not be deemed HG aswell?
This is where Ryan Reynolds plan to take Wrexham into the Premier League will come unstuck, besides the fact they are rubbish. I assume a Wrexham team would have to make the HG quota with only Welsh players and their English contingent would be considered Johnny Foreigner for them.

This could put a transfer market premium on Ben Davies head as a “must have” for any Welsh team in the Premier League. Sadly I think timing will be off as Davies will have retired and probably become an Uber driver annoying passengers with tales of how he once made it to the by line before crossing into the box long before Wrexham, Swansea or anyone else makes it close.

Back
Top Bottom