Special Player

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

January is almost here and we find ourselves sitting pretty at 3rd in the table. I'm sure that we all would have taken this position back in August when we found ourselves 5-1 down to Manchester City at White Hart Lane. The run since those first two games has been phenomenal and it has certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons at the top of the table. If it stays this way two of Woolwich, Chelsea or Liverpool (again) could miss out on Champions League football. The BIG Four looks like a piece of history.

“If we’re going to make a signing, let’s make one big signing. That would send out a message. But it’s difficult finding that player who would make a difference. If someone came along who we thought was special and could make a difference, we’d go for him. The chairman would back me all the way if we felt it was someone who could take us that extra little bit forward. But finding them is very difficult, there aren’t many around like that.”
Harry Redknapp, December 2011

The team is the strongest we have seen for years, brimming with talent in every position, though there are a few areas we need to strengthen. So far we have patched up these areas from last season – put a plaster over them for now in the hope we get through the season. At Friedel's age he can't keep playing forever, and sooner or later he will need to be replaced. Gomes has lost it. I can't see any way back to being a first team regular and he will almost certainly be on his way, if not in January, at the end of the season. However, we don't need to buy a keeper in January, so that can wait.

Up front we also have a quick fix in the form of Adebayor. He has been superb. Sure he has missed chances, a lot of chances he should have put away, but his positioning and running has been excellent, creating chances for other players and generally he has been a great team player.

Without Adebayor we have Defoe and Pavlyuchenko, and Pav looks almost certain to finally leave. Ideally we need a striker to come in and be back up to Adebayor and Defoe, preferably someone who can step up and be number one next season once they have a few games under their belt and have settled. Damaio has obviously been a target, but it looks like this ship may have sailed, and who can forget the last minute scrabble last January when we were linked with virtually every striker in Spain and Italy.

"We're not too desperate for anything. We're more than strong everywhere so unless it's someone who's a bit special I don't think we'll be doing too much. If someone's there that we feel can make the difference - it might just be a character or leader or somebody who can give you something at the club. If that type of person's available then we'd be interested, but at the moment we're not closing in on anything."
Harry Redknapp, December 2010

So what exactly will happen during the January window? Well if past windows are anything to go by Spurs will be linked with almost every player possible, but will end up making just two signings. Redknapp will be winding his car window down and coming up with sound bytes about special players. However, as HR says such players are difficult to get and they are thin on the ground. Trying to lure these players to White Hart Lane can't be easy with the wages we pay and without the glamour of Barcelona, Madrid or Rome, but equally, it is surely a nicer place than being in Manchester.

Both Levy and Redknapp instead rely on being opportunists. The signing of Van Der Vaart is obviously the best example of this. Right place, right time... right price. Scott Parker was another great piece of business. Redknapp knew exactly who he wanted and it has made a huge difference to our midfield this season.

But what about that star player? Well I'd argue that we stand a better chance than ever landing that fish. We are not sitting in fourth in the league, but third, with a nice clear gap and a game in hand. Prospective players will look at this and see a team trying to challenge for the title, not battling for fourth place. We also have increased our salary cap, not hugely, but enough to temp those up and coming superstars.

The truth is that Spurs haven't really signed one of those 'Special Players' since Klinsmann, or perhaps Ginola. Van Der Vaart was a superb buy, and is a great player who has played for one of the world's best teams, but at the time he was an out of favour attacking midfielder, albeit one of the best there is. But if you go back and listen to Redknapp, every transfer window, we have always needed just one or two special players to take us to the next level. Now we are almost at the top of that level, and we've done it without the Rossi's, Beckham's, Fabiano's and Eto'o'o's'o's of this word.

Our biggest asset is our team. Who woudn't want to play with Rafael Van Der Vaart, Luka Modric, Ledley King, Emmanuel Adebayor, Scott Parker and Gareth Bale. There are few teams in Europe, maybe only one team in Europe, that wouldn't want these players in their squad, and this is without mentioning Lennon, Gallas, Kaboul, BAE, Walker and Sandro. If anything can sell Tottenham Hotspur Football Club to the best footballers around the World it is this current team.

And that is why it is more important to keep this team intact than it may be to bring in anyone else. It is a well balanced machine that is working well. Sure, the right player at the right time may make it work more effectively, but if just one or two parts go missing, it could all fall apart.

So if we don't sign that player that you simply have to get on the back of your shirt, don't panic too much - The Special Players are already here.

"It's difficult to improve this squad... But if we could find a really special player, someone who could take the team to another level.. It might only be one player – one expensive player – but then we might go for it"
Harry Redknapp, May 2010

Harry was right we did need that one player (ade I would say) to take us to the next level. Last year was wishful thinking regarding challenging for the league, now it might still be a step to far but we certainly are closer.
I don't actually like Harry, he annoys me, but I guess he does know what he's talking about some of the time. Although saying that pretty much all spurs fans were calling for a decent striker.

Need 5 players IMO - not all in January but eventually.

1. Established Center Forward
2. Youngish Center Half with upside
3. Right Mid who can challenge Lennon (be great if this player can also take corners well)
4. Goalkeeping Prospect
5. Young creative forward

We are dangerously thin upfront and on the right. Age and injury are clearly issues in the back. Gonna have to sell again as all of these needs have the potential to carry premium price tags. On a side note, I'd like to see more from Falque. He's been a real livewire in his very limited appearances. We brought him in on loan from a top club, let's see if he can provide cover for Lennon. He's definitely got a nose for goal.

I honestly think we need a striker of ade, if not ade.

And some competition for Lennon.

Caulker is ready as bassong's replacement so no need for DC

Ideally we need a striker to come in and be back up to Adebayor and Defoe, preferably someone who can step up and be number one next season once they have a few games under their belt.

This idea has been confusing me a bit recently. If we are after one special player, and that player is to be a striker, where does that leave Defoe?

It's a tricky one because Adebayor isn't our player and who knows if we'll be able to make him our player in the summer. But at the same time I'm sure we all hope it does happen. If we were to sign, for example, Tevez, in January, he wouldn't be a bit part player. He'd be getting game time every week. Added onto the whole Adebayor + Defoe/VDV love triangle we've already got, you've got a guaranteed recipe for player unrest.

Then if we signed Ade permanently in the summer, it would continue into the new year. I could certainly see Defoe getting pushed out into the cold a bit. Also, would signing a marquee striker now mean we were less likely to get Ade permanently in the summer?

Obviously these player selection headaches are what we want, really, I'm just curious as to whether we really will go after a 'special' striker in January, and what the implications would be if we do.

WilsonJet said:
3. Right Mid who can challenge Lennon (be great if this player can also take corners well)

:whistle:

david-bentley_1017556c.jpg

Honestly, players like Caulker, Naughton, Townsend, Bentley and others could fill in and address some needs. The "special player" would have to be a marquee forward or an incredibly dynamic attacking mid. We do need a bright goalkeeping prospect, though.

Back
Top Bottom