Special Player

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Windy, I just neg repped you by mistake, due to my sausage fingers, trying to scroll on my phone. I've hit plus rep now, so hopefully it's cancelled out. If not, sorry.

Great prospect but to me he looks like the most immobile 'winger' since Andy Reid, and is not a fan of tracking back. Think his future is in a free role through the centre (much like VDV) but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need, considering the money he'd cost I'd be more inclined to pay a bit more and go for a snake hips dribbler like Marin

frontwheel said:
Windy, I just neg repped you by mistake, due to my sausage fingers, trying to scroll on my phone. I've hit plus rep now, so hopefully it's cancelled out. If not, sorry.

Welcome to Shanktown, population you.

On the note of the special player, am I wrong or is Berba's contract at United up this summer? With Welbeck, Rooney, Chicharito, & Owen...are they likely to renew? If not, I'd say that he's at least an option for Levy & Redknapp. The sensibilities of old (not signing Gooners, for example) have given way to a new pragmatism & if we have difficulties in securing Adebayor on a long-term deal (or even if we don't) then Berbatov (for the right price per week) is a choice we'd have to consider.

I doubt there is anyway in heaven or hell Levy would have Berbatov back - far too many bridges burnt there. If it had been a simple case of selling him to Man Utd for a fortune, then yes, I'd consider having him back, but the way he did it was disgusting. I can't see Levy backing down on this one.

He could work well with VdV though, in much the same way as he did with Keane, but Harry would have to do a lot of persuading to convince Levy. Wont Happen.

Tevez - the ITK season has begun and a few have come out and said that one of the special players that Harry is after is Tevez. Now, I don't think that the ITK would be far of with this. The guy is a great player and would be a huge addition. However, Levy has obviously said that the wages are way too much, so the deal could never be done. It would take a loan deal, similar to the one with Adebayor to work. So whether this is ITK or not, it is believable that Harry would ask Levy, but Levy is never going to pay that.

Kaka - looks like he will be leaving RM in January. Reports today have said they are happy to let him go - with Chelsea, PSG, AC Milan, Manchester United and Woolwich all linked to him. We have been linked before (again, if ITK is to be believed). An ITK says that we are interested in taking him on loan until end of season. Again, this is feasible and he is a 'Special Player' (or maybe was). I'm not quite sure where he would sit in the current team though - he would surely play in a VdV role?

Hulk - would be great signing. Could play up front or on the wing. €100M buyout clause could be a slight issue. As could the fact that the player is jointly owned. He would be a special signing, but it is unlikely.

Damaio - I think we should go all out for this guy. Could regret not doing this while we have the chance.

With a lack of major signings in the summer or last January's window, and Dos Santos (£5M), Pav (£8M), Bassong (£5M) looking like they could be on their way there should be a fairly decent transfer kitty available - I'd guess at least £30M. I'd punt it all on Damaio

frontwheel said:

Don't worry, I deserve it for not posting enough lately!

The Nod of Approval said:
Great prospect but to me he looks like the most immobile 'winger' since Andy Reid, and is not a fan of tracking back. Think his future is in a free role through the centre (much like VDV) but I'm not sure he's the type of player we need, considering the money he'd cost I'd be more inclined to pay a bit more and go for a snake hips dribbler like Marin

Marin's a class act, isn't he? Wonder what kind of fee he would command?

WindyCOYS said:
Marin's a class act, isn't he? Wonder what kind of fee he would command?

Absolute Magician. To me looks very similar to Silva at Valencia. Bremen value him every bit as much as we would Modric so open market I'd say he's a £25m+ player. Think I'm right in saying his contract expires in the summer of 2013 (?) so there's every chance if he doesn't sign an extension there'll be some movement at the end of the season at a resonable price. I'm thinking £15m-£20m??

Won't be any shortage of takers mind

Sibs said:
Damaio - I think we should go all out for this guy. Could regret not doing this while we have the chance.

With a lack of major signings in the summer or last January's window, and Dos Santos (£5M), Pav (£8M), Bassong (£5M) looking like they could be on their way there should be a fairly decent transfer kitty available - I'd guess at least £30M. I'd punt it all on Damaio

Exactly how I feel about the situation, I will update the Damiao thread if I ever see any credible news articles about it in the coming window. The big question though - would you break our wage structure and offer him £100k a week, or try and get him to come on 70k (which, realistically, ain't gonna happen imo).

Well if the rumours are to be believed Modric will shortly be on £100k p/w, so this will clearly be the new wage ceiling.

I did read somewhere that Gallas has it in his contract that he should be on par with the top earner at the club - not necessarily the same, but with say 10% or something. This is the problem. If you raise the salary for one player you open yourself up to other players demanding parity. Before you know it Bale, Defoe, VdV will all want to be on nearly £100k p/w, and BAE will be wanting a few £££s more.

Bringing in a player who will be on £100K p/w swings this door wide open

But it is going to have to happen sooner or later to be able to compete with the top teams.

This has to be paid for and the sales of Bentley, Jenas, Pav, Dos Santos will go some way towards helping to pay these salaries, as well as purchasing players. The combined salaries of these players must be around £130k p/w so this will help. (I don't include Gomes in this as we will still need to buy a quality goalkeeper).

This is why Levy has been so keen to trim the squad. It is not just about making a profit, but the money saved on wages is better spend elsewhere on other salaries, which helps to keep the club competitive and profitable.

What we need to do, especially with the new stadium is to start to unearth talent and train it. Either they will become good squad players (or better) for us, who will be happy to start on lower salaries or we can sell them for a profit

Sibs said:
What we need to do, especially with the new stadium is to start to unearth talent and train it. Either they will become good squad players (or better) for us, who will be happy to start on lower salaries or we can sell them for a profit

Definitely think the club has realised this (albeit later than a lot of fans!) as we've signed the likes of Luongo, Veljkovic, Gomelt, and Coulibaly in the last eighteen months or so.

WindyCOYS said:
Sibs said:

Definitely think the club has realised this (albeit later than a lot of fans!) as we've signed the likes of Luongo, Veljkovic, Gomelt, and Coulibaly in the last eighteen months or so.

Cellabos and falque (option to buy) too

Back
Top Bottom