So, why can't we cross the line?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The answer to the question is down to psychology. Pochettino is a fantastic manager and in my opinion he has taken his project as far as he can. Within the constraints of the wages he can pay players and spend on players he has achieved great things. The clubs we compete with have managers who have won something and this is the difference.

Pochettino doesn't seem to be able to get the team to the next level, over the line. I think there are managers about who could pick up Spurs and develop them where Poch falls short.

As a Spurs fan I feel lucky to have Poch but there is a time to be ruthless. If Poch was the Man City or Chelsea manager he'd be looking at the sack this season.

To me Benitez would be a sensible choice of manager. He's tried and tested and surely could be poached.

I don't agree.
I don't think we should depart with Pochettino in a situation where we are 3rd year in a row in CL AND we are moving to our new stadium.
It might be that in the long term he proves that under his guidance we won't handle the most important games, and then - yes. But currently there is too much uncertainty around the club. So let's stick with him.

He doesn't lack "the capacity", he just hasn't seemed to learn how to do it yet. I think very few are suggesting he's "incapable". I don't want Poch to go- I'm personally very happy with his management overall.

Poch is young, management is long, and he has time and capacity to learn from his mistakes and improve his end of the game too. If he can't do that, however, then there is an actual reason we would consider getting a new manager.

I generally agree with your points. But for the love of god, let's stop this "Poch is young" mantra. He is at his prime age as a manager, very many of the most acclaimed names in the game are as old as he is. If you missed it here very many worlds top managers Emery (46), Zidane (45), Simeone (47), Guardiola (47), Conte (48), Di Francesco (48) who are very much around Poch age (46). Then there are ones who are bit older but have won things lot earlier Klopp (50; was 43 when guided underdog Dormund to German double) , Allegri (50; was 42 when won Serie A with AC Milan), Mourinho (55; when he was 46 he had won CL with 2 different clubs; 3x EPL champion; 2x Italian champion; 2x Portugal champion) our own former manager Andre Villas Boas was 32 while winning Europa League with Porto! He was young coach at the time.

I generally agree with your points. But for the love of god, let's stop this "Poch is young" mantra. He is at his prime age as a manager, very many of the most acclaimed names in the game are as old as he is. If you missed it here very many worlds top managers Emery (46), Zidane (45), Simeone (47), Guardiola (47), Conte (48), Di Francesco (48) who are very much around Poch age (46). Then there are ones who are bit older but have won things lot earlier Klopp (50; was 43 when guided underdog Dormund to German double) , Allegri (50; was 42 when won Serie A with AC Milan), Mourinho (55; when he was 46 he had won CL with 2 different clubs; 3x EPL champion; 2x Italian champion; 2x Portugal champion) our own former manager Andre Villas Boas was 32 while winning Europa League with Porto! He was young coach at the time.
Poch is a young manager end of.
No point in comparing him to others in other leagues and other scenarios. Just accept he is a young manager still getting experience.
None of the managers you've selected had to turn a club around, change a mentality, do it all with 6th or 7th biggest budget in their league.

There are already assumptions being thrown around in the press that the whole Poch-project will now break up because neither players nor manager can accept the lack of trophies. It would be very sad. There has been a constant improvement over the last 4 years, and I really think that the next season will be ours if only we manage to keep this group together with a couple of reinforcements in the summer transfer window. I think we could use a classical, fast right winger and a better backup for Kane than Llorente. That is probably all we need, really.

Poch is a young manager end of.
No point in comparing him to others in other leagues and other scenarios. Just accept he is a young manager still getting experience.
None of the managers you've selected had to turn a club around, change a mentality, do it all with 6th or 7th biggest budget in their league.

He is not. End of.
It is true that the scenarios of either of those achievements have not been the same, but they never will be.
At the same time (if for a moment anyone at all, could see even half an inch further from your own egocentrical view of football) one could argue that winning German cup AND title with side in way weaker position compared to Bayern would be as impressive as winning title with Sprus. Not to mention a feat of guiding club such as Porto to CL glory in front of ALL OTHER TEAMS ON CONTINENT. Or looking at Pep, who basically laid foundations of Barcelona that is still one of the dominant forces in the Euorpean football... I assumed everyone regard those as impressive achievements. But I might have been wrong ofc, might be that every other coach in the world who has not earned something with Tottenham, are totally pointless and clueless imbecilles and are worth nothing...

There are already assumptions being thrown around in the press that the whole Poch-project will now break up because neither players nor manager can accept the lack of trophies. It would be very sad. There has been a constant improvement over the last 4 years, and I really think that the next season will be ours if only we manage to keep this group together with a couple of reinforcements in the summer transfer window. I think we could use a classical, fast right winger and a better backup for Kane than Llorente. That is probably all we need, really.

Well, we brought Lucas Moura. Who is fast. Who is winger. And who can play right.
Sure, backup for Kane would be nice, but new quality CM is an absolute MUST. Currently we are so dependent on Moose that it is scary. Like on Sat if we'd had another even similar class player to put onto his place... but we didn't. He is not getting younger either. (PS, whoever suggested to sell Dembele as part of "refreshing the squad" is downright stupid and either cannot understand football or have missed most of the current season games that Spurs have played well).

He is not. End of.
It is true that the scenarios of either of those achievements have not been the same, but they never will be.
At the same time (if for a moment anyone at all, could see even half an inch further from your own egocentrical view of football) one could argue that winning German cup AND title with side in way weaker position compared to Bayern would be as impressive as winning title with Sprus. Not to mention a feat of guiding club such as Porto to CL glory in front of ALL OTHER TEAMS ON CONTINENT. Or looking at Pep, who basically laid foundations of Barcelona that is still one of the dominant forces in the Euorpean football... I assumed everyone regard those as impressive achievements. But I might have been wrong ofc, might be that every other coach in the world who has not earned something with Tottenham, are totally pointless and clueless imbecilles and are worth nothing...
Of course the scenarios will never be the same and I'm not dismissing any other coaches achievements, but that is why is pointless comparing achievements like you continue to do.
Picking up on that though - Dortmund were the second best club in Germany, huge support, fairly recently champions of Germany and Europe.
Porto are the most scuccesful in Portugal by a long way, always in champs league.
Barca will always be one of the front runners, always in champs league.
Mourihno and Pep are of course two of the most successful coaches of all time, not really fair ot compare Poch to them - but they haven't been at aclub like tottenham where its first necessary to establish the team as one of the best in the country, or one that has not won anything in 10 years or a league title in 50+ and don't have a bottomless pit of cash.

Well, we brought Lucas Moura. Who is fast. Who is winger. And who can play right.
Sure, backup for Kane would be nice, but new quality CM is an absolute MUST. Currently we are so dependent on Moose that it is scary. Like on Sat if we'd had another even similar class player to put onto his place... but we didn't. He is not getting younger either. (PS, whoever suggested to sell Dembele as part of "refreshing the squad" is downright stupid and either cannot understand football or have missed most of the current season games that Spurs have played well).

I haven't been very impressed with Lucas, but OTOH he has not been given a good run of games to get into his stride. Maybe he is good enough so a new right winger is not needed. As for a CM, Thomas Delaney of Werder Bremen was linked with us at some point. He is pretty good and an option to be considered.

We couldn't cross the line in the 3 cup ties this season for number of reasons:
We were in winning positions in all the ties against westham, juve and manu. The opposition equalised and from there on the team drops and the manager slow to change either formation or personal.
The subs came too late to influence the match. I think Lamela on the 88th min last Saturday.
Wrong subs, Wanyama for Dembele doesn't make much sense even though he scored a rocket against liverpool in the league, doesn't happen every day.
Players are lost, frozen and clueless once the opposition equalised or went ahead. Because no leader no experience in the team to win trophies.
Number of players not performing constantly through out the season.

We have lost 8 SFs, so nothing new. The worst part is that the club including manager and players are not learning.

On Saturday sitting in Wembley, in the second half we didn't look like scoring and was thinking the only way to score is an own goal or a mistake by manu.

It is weird we can come back from behind or after loosing the lead in PL matches but not in cup ties.

Back
Top Bottom