So, why can't we cross the line?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Following on from my other point, I look back at the Juve game and that tall defender that marked Kane got a card early, again when didn't we focus on this. If we got the ball to Kane... the player would have to make a choice:

a: go in for a late challenge and risk getting sent off

or

b: let the player go and risk him scoring or creating an opportunity.

It's part of the game and we need to wise up to this, play a few 50/50 balls, draw in challenges...

Only you could claim to be backing the team whilst advocating selling half of it. I’m not sure you even know what you write anymore. It’s all nonsense.

It’s called restructuring you moron
SAF was good at it but you have to be ruthless

Just woke up Joe?

How’s the hangover?

Still get a full English inside you and you can start your daily routine again

Pathetic

It’s called restructuring you moron
SAF was good at it but you have to be ruthless

Just woke up Joe?

How’s the hangover?

Still get a full English inside you and you can start your daily routine again

Pathetic
I was up at half 6 which you’d have noticed if you’d applied the same level of forensic detail that you do with most of my posts. Stop wriggling, you can’t claim to be backing the team whilst wanting half of it sold. It makes you look silly - surely you can see that?

Just admit you had a hissy fit Bazali. Other folk notice as well.

Pace and creativity.

We had absolutely none of it today.

Eriksen was literally the only player making things happen, and he didn't create a great deal.

It was actually tedious to watch us at some points in the game. Everything so slow going forward.

It is about being ready when it matters most.

We beat United without 'pace and creativity' with pretty much the same players.

Pochettino's last test.

One small step and all that..

Agree, even Mensa Mensa told me off for having a go. Baz can say anything he likes and is protected. Even when he abused TracyCK TracyCK for leaving a few minutes early with her kids.

My memory like a sieve but I believe you!

If we have got to the point where Baz is the biggest heel on the forum then we have had a bloody good spring clean round here!

Watford, West Brom, Newcastle lets just put in a professional performance and put them away

My take is I think this iteration of the team has run its course and although I never push a transfer this time round we do need a couple of fresh faces at the back and a decent second striker to welcome in the stadium

Now I've had time to calm down. I think the reaction has been a bit over the top. We lost a game to a very good side that played an excellent game while we were a bit off and tactically didn't help ourselves. I don't think there some issue about us crossing the line, psychological issues with players and
And

What? On here?

kQ.gif

I was up at half 6 which you’d have noticed if you’d applied the same level of forensic detail that you do with most of my posts. Stop wriggling, you can’t claim to be backing the team whilst wanting half of it sold. It makes you look silly - surely you can see that?

Just admit you had a hissy fit Bazali. Other folk notice as well.

No just you and your buddy Sammy

Not the most well balanced duo are you?

Forensic detail?

You’re completely obsessed

I regard the pair of as sad lonely misfits with no life

You’re probably now doing your usual trick of trying to get me banned like you do ArcespacE and, no doubt, a few others who disagree with you

Really sad

So I repeat my earlier offer of not engaging and giving other Forum Users a break

But you can’t can you

I'm not sure I buy this "Poch lacks the capacity to win big games" narrative that is peddled by the media and becomes accepted. What exactly does Poch say to the players to stop Dembele from losing the ball to Pogba? What does he say to make sure Davies gets the right side of Sanchez? Again what does he say to make sure Dembele tracks Herrera for the second goal? Or to stop Sanchez from losing the aerial battle with Lukaku? Or to make sure Dier's deflected shot hits the post and goes in rather than hits the post and comes out?

It's easy to draw a narrative from three games, but at the end of the day it is only three games. We have won or got results against good teams and/or when the pressure has been on us. Getting a point at Anfield in difficult circumstances. Winning at Chelsea. The win at Palace last season to keep us in the title race. Getting back into the Juve game. Sure, there's examples of the opposite as well beyond the three games, but if you think that Poch's doing something wrong, what exactly is it? No one seems able to say other than words like "big game management" or saying he should tweak the tactics, to what exactly, and why?

I'd say that whilst some of the criticisms may have a grain of truth, for instance maybe a lack of experience on the part of some of the players, losing yesterday is probably more to do with factors like:

- Kane not being match fit
- Dembele's fitness also being a long-term struggle and issue, he wasn't quite at it, when he is, he is unplayable. Yesterday he was more like the Dembele of the first half of the season. I think all to do with his fitness.
- Continually losing our best players due to financial reasons. Walker and Rose of last season haven't been replaced, we miss what they offered. Toby is and will be the same. As good as Sanchez is, a fit, committed Toby with Jan or in a back three makes a huge difference.
- The fact we are playing these games against good sides with good players
- Simply...individual mistakes, bad luck, the usual stuff that makes up a football game.

It is quite apologetic stuff right here. And I don't agree with most.

1) You cannot say that Poch does not have any ways to influence what happens on the field. I mean even the way you ask it - there are solutions. "What exactly does Poch say to the players to stop Dembele from losing the ball to Pogba" - "Look, Moose, this here is a CUP SEMIFINAL. This is what our fans live for, this is what they support us for! It is big day for them, it is big day for us. We have NO ROOM to slip up. If you feel that you are under too much pressure, rather kick the ball out, as WE HAVE VERY LITTLE ROOM in this stage, we cannot slip, errors are fatal!". How about that for example?
And even if we assume that he could not say that or anything else that could help, over the 15 minutes pause you should be able to inflict some fighting spirit into players. You have to be able to alter things when you see they are not working. Sure I cannot say WHAT EXACTLY and HOW exaclty. If I could I would be among top coaches of the world. I am not, but I have seen effect that Alex Fergusson interval speetches had. Quite recently I saw how quite average ManUnited managed to turn the game around after half time against City. HELL, I saw how ManU was mature enough to beat us in this very game after falling behind.

2) Well, sure, we have had some good games as well. Many of them. I don't think anyone here argues with that. But I really don't like your examples -
- getting a point after Anfield - well, yea, sure. But in the same game we missed a chance to take all 3 points as well. And whole game started with our players sound asleep that gave Pool early lead (which is absolutely unaccpetable)
- getting back into Juve game - again example of a total mess WE CREATED FOR OURSELVES! This start to the 1st game was unaccptable. And in the end you know what happened still
- winning Palace to stay in race last year- two rounds after that we still chocked against Wet Spam.
I agree with the away win at Chelsea - this was impressive. But the underlying point is that we have managed to undo the good results still before the trophies are distributed...

3) Continually losing our best players due to financial reasons - that is huge load of bullcrap. Do you realize that we have managed to keep the BIGGEST stars for ourselves - we still have best striker in league with Kane, we have one of best playmakers in Eriksen, we have solid keeper in Lloris, we have superb attacking mids like Alli and Son. Sure we had to depart with Walker, but ALL teams loose players. ManU is now without Ibra, Chelsea lost Matic and Costa and Luiz (and are still in FA final). This is very poor excuse, given that we have manage to really keep most pivotal players of late.

I mean I am not stating that it is end of the world. I just don't agree with those excuses listed here.

Longest unbeaten run for us in PL history.

Set for 3 years of qualifying for CL.

Consistently beating big teams at home and won at SB for first time in 27 years.

What a bunch of cunts posting non stop negative shit.

Grow a pair and back this team: it’s something special.
Agree with all listed facts but to make it complete and the whole truth you have to add one line "No trophy to show"

Thought for the day.

It took Alex Ferguson 5 years to win his first trophy at Man Utd and 7 to win the league, Poch will only have been with us for 4 years in May...
Absolutely but it is not complete. Please do more research work and put how long it took Mournho, Wenger, Ranierie at Leicester, Gullit at chelsea, Harry at pompey......and many more to win a trophy.
One example is narrow minded, limited and sounds convenient.

It is quite apologetic stuff right here. And I don't agree with most.

1) You cannot say that Poch does not have any ways to influence what happens on the field. I mean even the way you ask it - there are solutions. "What exactly does Poch say to the players to stop Dembele from losing the ball to Pogba" - "Look, Moose, this here is a CUP SEMIFINAL. This is what our fans live for, this is what they support us for! It is big day for them, it is big day for us. We have NO ROOM to slip up. If you feel that you are under too much pressure, rather kick the ball out, as WE HAVE VERY LITTLE ROOM in this stage, we cannot slip, errors are fatal!". How about that for example?
And even if we assume that he could not say that or anything else that could help, over the 15 minutes pause you should be able to inflict some fighting spirit into players. You have to be able to alter things when you see they are not working. Sure I cannot say WHAT EXACTLY and HOW exaclty. If I could I would be among top coaches of the world. I am not, but I have seen effect that Alex Fergusson interval speetches had. Quite recently I saw how quite average ManUnited managed to turn the game around after half time against City. HELL, I saw how ManU was mature enough to beat us in this very game after falling behind.

2) Well, sure, we have had some good games as well. Many of them. I don't think anyone here argues with that. But I really don't like your examples -
- getting a point after Anfield - well, yea, sure. But in the same game we missed a chance to take all 3 points as well. And whole game started with our players sound asleep that gave Pool early lead (which is absolutely unaccpetable)
- getting back into Juve game - again example of a total mess WE CREATED FOR OURSELVES! This start to the 1st game was unaccptable. And in the end you know what happened still
- winning Palace to stay in race last year- two rounds after that we still chocked against Wet Spam.
I agree with the away win at Chelsea - this was impressive. But the underlying point is that we have managed to undo the good results still before the trophies are distributed...

3) Continually losing our best players due to financial reasons - that is huge load of bullcrap. Do you realize that we have managed to keep the BIGGEST stars for ourselves - we still have best striker in league with Kane, we have one of best playmakers in Eriksen, we have solid keeper in Lloris, we have superb attacking mids like Alli and Son. Sure we had to depart with Walker, but ALL teams loose players. ManU is now without Ibra, Chelsea lost Matic and Costa and Luiz (and are still in FA final). This is very poor excuse, given that we have manage to really keep most pivotal players of late.

I mean I am not stating that it is end of the world. I just don't agree with those excuses listed here.
I don't know mate.

Of course Poch does have ways to influence what goes on. We're not privy to his team talks, obviously it's not as easy as all that, as you suggest, otherwise we'd all be top managers. I think it's harsh to blame individual player mistakes on a manager especially without us really knowing what goes on behind the scenes.

Looking at your examples, yes we don't play at our best all the time, we start some games badly etc. That is always true of any team though. At our best, as in the first 25 minutes on Saturday, and parts of the tie against Juventus, we look as though we can beat any team in the world. At other times, we look relatively average. If you were a Liverpool fan you could look at the first half against City (in CL) and say "we should play like that all the time, we should have won the league etc". For one thing, it's impossible to keep up that intensity without the players getting tired. But it's also true that no team plays its best all the time.

As for losing players, true that every team does. But- stating the obvious- we don't have the cash to replace them in the way other teams do. United can spend however much on Alexis Sanchez when they lose Ibra etc.

It's extremely frustrating to fail to win something again and to come up short in a big game once more. Maybe you're right that Poch lacks man management skills, I don't know how any of us can judge this though, really. Maybe he's just not as good as Mourinho at this, who does appear to get the best out of his players. But Mourinho isn't an option for us, and Poch is still learning his trade. And also a lot of players have improved massively under Poch. Overall I think he's done a fantastic job and that's about all I can judge. So I will keep the faith in him and see what happens. If he does have a problem managing big games let's hope he sorts it. If it's more a case of other things, let's hope we deal with those problems.

Thought for the day.

It took Alex Ferguson 5 years to win his first trophy at Man Utd and 7 to win the league, Poch will only have been with us for 4 years in May...

Or closer to home Keith Burkinshaw Manager between 14 July 1976 to 31 May 1984. Relegated in first year and first trophy May 1981. 5 years

We've now been in two FA Cup semi finals and a cup final in the four years Pochettino has been in charge and the results read:

League Cup Final
2-0 loss.

FA Cup Semi Final
4-2 loss.

FA Cup Semi Final
2-1 loss.

Not even going to bring up the league results. We were never top of the table when we played Leicester and we were simply too far behind Chelsea to mount a real challenge, though the way we dropped off and finished behind Woolwich in 2016 took a while to forgive.

Is it the manager?

Do we continuously fall at the final hurdle because of the way we're managed in these games? Do we NEED to switch it up in the final and perhaps be a bit more cautious as opposed to play our predictable game? Juventus, we were 3-2 up on aggregate with 2 away goals and all we needed to do was defend, yet we didn't. Against Chelsea in the semi final last season, 2-2 and in control. Yet, defensive mistakes cost us. Again today, silly mistakes costing us the equaliser and laziness costing us the eventual winner. Is this on the manager more so than the players for how they're advised to see the game through? Or is Poch just stubborn? Has his system, has players he prefers, stick with it?

Is it the personnel?

Are our players simply not good enough to get the job done? I mean, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane are all lauded by pundits and opposing fans alike. Dembele was called a genius by Poch. Dier is a "future captain", Vertonghen was just voted in the PFA Team of the Year?

Have we peaked?

Probably the likelihood.
cant be bothered to read all the replies so this may have been said already, but if you look at each game in isolation, didnt they go with form?

Chelsea were top of the elague both times and UTD are 7 points clear.

Its not like when we were losing to portsmouth etc

Only you could claim to be backing the team whilst advocating selling half of it. I’m not sure you even know what you write anymore. It’s all nonsense.

Its weird isnt it mate......call for someone to be benched, your´re a shit fan, but calling for 6 players to be sold immediately is backing the team. Its just backing the team with a "few changes"...

Also weird to defend our performance on the basis that Dier nearly won it for us, then call for his immediate sale.
We played well, but apparently the game showed that 6 players need to be replaced on the back of it according to the same poster.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom