Sheringham back in the dentist's chair

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh, Teddy.
(Not really any dentistry paraphernalia this time round, though. As far as we know.)

Teddy Sheringham 'unlikely to be invited back to Sevens' after drinking binge

0926711fad312283b07a31d6743a0be0.jpg

Sheringham in the dentist's chair. Photo: SCMP Pictures

Former England star Teddy Sheringham is unlikely to be invited back to Hong Kong's Soccer Sevens after a night of revelry that brought back memories of the infamous dentist's chair escapade of 1996.
Party animal Sheringham, along with ex-Tottenham Hotspur winger Darren Anderton and former Leeds United striker Ian Baird, angered teammates and sponsors by failing to show up for an early-morning match on Sunday.
A source close to the team said the trio had been on a drinking binge, with Anderton and Baird leaving around 4am, while 47-year-old Sheringham partied on.
The trio did not show up for the 8am match, leaving their CLA Discovery Bay team, which also included former England star Peter Beardsley, with "six-and-a-half players" because one of them was already injured.
The source said they had abused everyone's goodwill, especially the sponsors and organisers of the HKFC Citibank International Soccer Sevens who stretched budgets to bring them to the event.
"They have angered a lot of people," he said. "They are paid money to come here and should give some of it back." The package included flights, accommodation and a daily allowance.
Sheringham said he injured his calf during a game on Saturday and was doubtful for Sunday.
One Discovery Bay player, former Hong Kong international Tim Bredbury, said he got a call yesterday from Beardsley, thanking him and other teammates for their efforts.
"I think he was slightly embarrassed," Bredbury said.
A Professional Footballers' Association official was at the tournament and apologised for their behaviour, Bredbury said.
Sheringham is well-known for his nights of debauchery, the most infamous being when he, Paul Gascoigne and England teammates poured spirits down their throats in a dentist's chair at the now-defunct China Jump bar in Causeway Bay before the 1996 European Championships.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/soccer/ar...misses-sevens-tournament-after-drinking-binge

They were prats and let down a load of fans. I may be wrong but I believe they were paid to come out, got accommodation provided, hospitality etc and then they basically shat on us Spurs fans in HK by not turning up.

They were prats and let down a load of fans. I may be wrong but I believe they were paid to come out, got accommodation provided, hospitality etc and then they basically shat on us Spurs fans in HK by not turning up.

TBF the organisers knew how they behaved 'on tour' before a major international tournament so can't be surprised they did the same on a old boys kick-about.

Mate of mine owns the original Euro 96 Dentist chair. he was working at the china jump when it went under, bought it and shipped it back here. Ive been in it, although I wasnt at Teddy's or Guzzler's levels of debauchery.

Brilliant story, my Dad was the assistant manager of the Discovery Bay 7's team this year and is good mates with Ian Baird. I am gonna give him a call and try and get some more details as I am sure he was probably out on this bender.

Should have known the boys would think this was cool.........personally, he always struck me as being an overgrown school boy, completely immature and thought he was something special! He was a good player, but I will never forget that he dumped on us from a great height when he went to Man U and left us in the lurch. Needless to say, I did not welcome him with open arms when he decided to come back.

Just spoken to the old man and he managed to shed some light on this for me. He said that Teddy, Howellsy, Bairdy, Shaggy and he all went out that night and got right on the piss.

Howellsy, Bairdy and Shaggy went home at around 4am while Teddy and my old man stayed out in a bar called Dusk Till Dawn until 7am when they rolled back into the hotel.

Then in the morning only Howellsy showed up for the game although he was already injured and so was practically playing with one leg, which is why the article says 6 and a half men.

In Teddy's defence the old man said that he was already injured and so wouldn't have played the next day anyway.

My Dad is taking full responsibility.

Should have known the boys would think this was cool.........personally, he always struck me as being an overgrown school boy, completely immature and thought he was something special! He was a good player, but I will never forget that he dumped on us from a great height when he went to Man U and left us in the lurch. Needless to say, I did not welcome him with open arms when he decided to come back.

Hmmmm Teddy vs Cuntbell

Teddy managed to leave, fuck over the gooners and return on good terms.

Sol could've done the same if he wanted.....

Just spoken to the old man and he managed to shed some light on this for me. He said that Teddy, Howellsy, Bairdy, Shaggy and he all went out that night and got right on the piss.

Howellsy, Bairdy and Shaggy went home at around 4am while Teddy and my old man stayed out in a bar called Dusk Till Dawn until 7am when they rolled back into the hotel.

Then in the morning only Howellsy showed up for the game although he was already injured and so was practically playing with one leg, which is why the article says 6 and a half men.

In Teddy's defence the old man said that he was already injured and so wouldn't have played the next day anyway.

My Dad is taking full responsibility.
WTF? I may have missed this, but who is your old man?

WTF? I may have missed this, but who is your old man?

My Dad was a groundsman in the 80's and became associated quite closely with the club he got very familiar with David Howells, so much so that I grew up knowing his wife and he as Auntie Debbie and Uncle David, so over the years he grew to know a number of the Spurs players and has some great stories about Gazza and Teddy. He also became close with Nick Barmby who was at his wedding to my Mum.

Because he knew Howellsy and by extension his brother Gareth, who frequents the sticks for the Spurs Legends, he got a job on the coaching staff at Conference South side Eastleigh FC and by the time he left was essentially assistant manager. While he was there the manager was Ian Baird so that is how he knows him.

I am lucky because my Dad knows a lot of the old pros and I often get good tips on next manager bets (okay I got the Everton one wrong).

Other than that my Dad is an ordinary bloke who work in the city.

Back
Top Bottom