Sheffield Utd (Away) - 4pm Sunday 19th May

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wise up starks - mentality comes from the team and Manager. Nothing would or should surprise any of us as Spurs fans as we have a proven track record of disappointing our fans and fucking shit up consistently for decades.
We scraped a 2-1 against a relegated team at home last weekend with two defenders stepping up to score in an edgy game. We scored a 98th min winner to scrape a win against this very opponent earlier in the season when 'flying' so don't question my 'fragile mentality' mate.

I didn't say we would lose also, I said it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we dropped points.

I'm not questioning your mentality.

But its quite obvious and evident that it runs through the fanbase. A loser culture, so to speak. A bit of poor form and we're all doom mongerers, not being arsed about going to games, selling their tickets. So much so that people are questioning whether the 5th best team in the Premier League could actually go and beat one of the worst teams in the history of the entire competition.

I couldn't care less about results against Burnley or Sheffield United from earlier in the season.

I can tell you what though, I didn't go into either of those games thinking we wouldn't win or even having a belief that a club our size could ever lose to one's if theirs.

I'm not questioning your mentality.

But its quite obvious and evident that it runs through the fanbase. A loser culture, so to speak. A bit of poor form and we're all doom mongerers, not being arsed about going to games, selling their tickets. So much so that people are questioning whether the 5th best team in the Premier League could actually go and beat one of the worst teams in the history of the entire competition.

I couldn't care less about results against Burnley or Sheffield United from earlier in the season.

I can tell you what though, I didn't go into either of those games thinking we wouldn't win or even having a belief that a club our size could ever lose to one's if theirs.
No, the concern about whether we can win this weekend reflects reality. A reality we all wish was different. I think we will win, and we should, but it is entirely reasonable to believe there is a decent chance we won't.

You might not give a shit about results against the weakest teams this season, but they are one reasonable input to any consideration of how this weekend will go. We needed goals in the 98th and 100th minutes to avoid a home defeat to Sheff United.

We all want it to be different, but no point pretending it is.

No, the concern about whether we can win this weekend reflects reality. A reality we all wish was different. I think we will win, and we should, but it is entirely reasonable to believe there is a decent chance we won't.

You might not give a shit about results against the weakest teams this season, but they are one reasonable input to any consideration of how this weekend will go. We needed goals in the 98th and 100th minutes to avoid a home defeat to Sheff United.

We all want it to be different, but no point pretending it is.

And City needed a goal in the 88th minute to beat them. Villa needed a 97th minute goal just to equalise against them. Who cares?

We absolutely fucking battered them at home. Had about 30 shots. Their goalkeeper was MOTM and we were denied a blatant penalty. Who gives a fuck if the goals were in the first 10 minutes or the last 10.

We got a deserved victory. Played well and should have won by about 4 or 5 goals.

And this weekend, as a Spurs fan, I am expecting us to win. They're shit. We're the 5th best team in the entire country. Luckily, those away fans will also believe the same.

And City needed a goal in the 88th minute to beat them. Villa needed a 97th minute goal just to equalise against them. Who cares?

We absolutely fucking battered them at home. Had about 30 shots. Their goalkeeper was MOTM and we were denied a blatant penalty. Who gives a fuck if the goals were in the first 10 minutes or the last 10.

We got a deserved victory. Played well and should have won by about 4 or 5 goals.

And this weekend, as a Spurs fan, I am expecting us to win. They're shit. We're the 5th best team in the entire country. Luckily, those away fans will also believe the same.
So you're saying it's been close between Sheff United and a number of strong teams, but we should be supremely confident of winning? We should win yes.

If we don’t beat these then to be quite frank conference league probably is our level and right now we need to play to our level and grow. I hope that means we get the Europa then but it’s our own fault if we don’t.

I absolutely expect a win here. After Ange's comments last night I expect it backed up with a very strong performance regardless of the opposition.

Vic
Porro - Romero - VDV - Skipp
PEH
Bentancur -- Maddison
Kulu -- Son -- Johnson
I expect to see the above.

If we are to believe the line about VDV being an injury risk at LB then I'd be amazed if we see it again. Which then begs the question of why the fuck did we choose the Man City game to implement it against Walker/Silva?? It seems Ange's "principles" went out the window in his strange pursuit to nick something from that game.

So you're saying it's been close between Sheff United and a number of strong teams, but we should be supremely confident of winning? We should win yes.

Why shouldn't we be supremely confident of winning?

We're 5th. They're 20th.

Weve scored 71 goals this season, which is the third most we've EVER scored in the entire competition. Up against a team that's conceded 101 goals. The worst the league has ever seen.

We have the 5th best away record in the league. Up against the team with the worst home record in the league.

The fact this is up for a debate shows how much the mentality needs to shift across the fanbase.

We're 5th. They're 20th.

Weve scored 71 goals this season, which is the third most we've EVER scored in the entire competition. Up against a team that's conceded 101 goals. The worst the league has ever seen.

We have the 5th best away record in the league. Up against the team with the worst home record in the league.

The fact this is up for a debate shows how much the mentality needs to shift across the fanbase.
I'll give you this, that is some impressively quick research. Assuming you didn't know all that in your head already?

We're 5th. They're 20th.

You can quote the stats all you like but based on our form a scratchy 1-1 draw is by no means a ridiculous idea. We barely have a goal threat unless one of the defenders has their shooting boots on. Final send off for a relegated side in front of their fans etc. etc.

Of course the stats favour a Spurs win but you only have to look back at our last 10 games to understand why no game feels like a banker right now.

You can quote the stats all you like but based on our form a scratchy 1-1 draw is by no means a ridiculous idea. We barely have a goal threat unless one of the defenders has their shooting boots on. Final send off for a relegated side in front of their fans etc. etc.

Of course the stats favour a Spurs win but you only have to look back at our last 10 games to understand why no game feels like a banker right now.

It is an absolutely ridiculous idea.

Are we a big club or not?

Two games spring to mind when thinking about this fixture.

1. The game against them in the cup last season.

2. The game on the last day of the season in 15-16 when Newcastle were already relegated and they destroyed us 5-1.

We have fucked up this type of fixture many times before, it is not a freebie. Sheffield will play without pressure we know our team is mentally feeble. If we concede first yet again we are going to struggle.

It would not shock me in the slightest to see us drop points after the mood swing last night and the feeble minded players we have in our team.
Worst team in prem history, last game of the season at their place for some pride? Can absolutely see these weak cunts underperform as they have for 80 % of the season.

Starting with this 80% and assessing against the fact we're set to finish the season with approx 60% of available points....... I'm thoroughly tempted to cut a Steiner maths promo :

images

Last edited:
What does that mean?

The fanbase has a massive small club mentality riddled throughout it.

The fact there's even a section who think we won't beat the worst team in the league sums it up.

All I've heard recently is how the only teams we've seemed to beat in the last month or so are Luton, Burnley and Forest... Well, guess the other opponent we could face who's even worse than those teams?

You've got it.

Two games spring to mind when thinking about this fixture.

1. The game against them in the cup last season.

2. The game on the last day of the season in 15-16 when Newcastle were already relegated and they destroyed us 5-1.

We have fucked up this type of fixture many times before, it is not a freebie. Sheffield will play without pressure we know our team is mentally feeble. If we concede first yet again we are going to struggle.

We've faced relegated teams on the final day in the previous two seasons. How did they turn out?

Vic
Porro - Romero - VDV - Skipp
PEH
Bentancur -- Maddison
Kulu -- Son -- Johnson
I expect to see the above.

If we are to believe the line about VDV being an injury risk at LB then I'd be amazed if we see it again. Which then begs the question of why the fuck did we choose the Man City game to implement it against Walker/Silva?? It seems Ange's "principles" went out the window in his strange pursuit to nick something from that game.
I don't believe that personally. I think he's more at risk constantly covering at cb than venturing up at left back not constantly busting a gut.

Back
Top Bottom