Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think he has long left on his contract does he ? So definitely need to do something soon whether that's a new contract or trying to upgrade

Was happy with the Docherty signing but so far he doesn't look like the long term answer
I hope we don't offer him a new contract. It will end up like a Lamela situation where he just sticks around for 7/8 years in the end.

decent at winning personal duals, but his crossing is truly shocking. if our fullbacks had half the crossing ability of liverpools we would be fucking dangerous
Aurier has a higher crossing completion rate from open play than TAA!!!!!!!!! Has also assisted more goals (last season) from crosses than TAA from open play!!!!!!! No team crosses the ball more than LFC. Crosses are low %, so it would appear you only follow LFC games via highlights and therefor see a goal being scored from a cross you think it's great but what you are not seeing is all the failed crosses not scored from because they were over-hit, under-hit, blocked, headed clear, caught by the 'keeper etc. etc....

Aurier has a higher crossing completion rate from open play than TAA!!!!!!!!! Has also assisted more goals (last season) from crosses than TAA from open play!!!!!!! No team crosses the ball more than LFC. Crosses are low %, so it would appear you only follow LFC games via highlights and therefor see a goal being scored from a cross you think it's great but what you are not seeing is all the failed crosses not scored from because they were over-hit, under-hit, blocked, headed clear, caught by the 'keeper etc. etc....
You have nailed it alot of this is critiquing by highlights. TAA has fallen off a cliff. Southgate favours Recce James and if you could offer me one as a right back I'd favour him. This world full of right backs that shit on Aurier for stamina tackling crossing and concentration..
They don't exist. If you put Aaron's in our side today these same people would get such a shock and Aaron's would have to quit social media.

Too many spurs fans rate crosses as something amazing because our own centrebacks are really bad at clearing crosses/corners/crossed freekicks. Also Crosses are overpowered in fifa, so some think thats how it works in the real world.

This is not a critique of Aurier or endorsement of TAA but please wind that stat-neck in a bit.

TAA is a much better striker of the ball, whether it be a cross into the area, a cross field pass or a set piece.
There are no statistics in the world that changes this.

Too many spurs fans rate crosses as something amazing because our own centrebacks are really bad at clearing crosses/corners/crossed freekicks. Also Crosses are overpowered in fifa, so some think thats how it works in the real world.
I think (no specific statistical data seen)* we are not so bad at dealing with crosses as is being made out. I think the impression that we are "bad at dealing with them" stems from us conceding from them. But seeing as we have the 2nd best goals conceded against in the league and seeing that in many of our games we've chosen to sit deep and allow the oppo to cross (because it's low % and therefore one of the area's we let our oppo have the ball - out wide e.g Woolwich, City & LFC to name but 3 we dealt with bar the final cross against LFC if you add up all the crosses we faced combined from these 3 games I bet (guess) we'd have faced approx 50(??) crosses and we concede from 1 (that's a 2% conversion rate) that's pretty good.

This is not a critique of Aurier or endorsement of TAA but please wind that stat-neck in a bit.

TAA is a much better striker of the ball, whether it be a cross into the area, a cross field pass or a set piece.
There are no statistics in the world that changes this.
Go back to the post I was responding to. I've made no other attempt to claim anything else other than to rubbish the nonsense being claimed.

so aurier is a better crosser of the ball that TAA and robertson? yea i dont watch every minute of every liverpool game but from what ive seen they are in a different league to aurier when it comes to putting quality balls in. theres a difference between 'completed' crosses and dangerous crosses aswell....stats can distort things if thats all you look at. leon britton had better passing stats than xavi....do you think hes a better passer?

He again gave away a dangerous freekick very late yesterday. It's rare he doesn't it seems.
He also saved a goal with his block.
Think we all know he has a brain snap in him but he has the pace Doherty lacks.
All the best FBs have pace, still have no idea what the fuck our scout team saw in Doherty - you’d think his plodding style would have ruled him out from the get go

so aurier is a better crosser of the ball that TAA and robertson? yea i dont watch every minute of every liverpool game but from what ive seen they are in a different league to aurier when it comes to putting quality balls in. theres a difference between 'completed' crosses and dangerous crosses aswell....stats can distort things if thats all you look at. leon britton had better passing stats than xavi....do you think hes a better passer?
Statistically, he is far, far better, it's as simple as that. You watch every min of our games, so that means you witness the unsuccessful crosses (they are LOW % anyway, for all clubs, for all players) but as you confirm you don't watch a full game of LFC's, so you are watching the highlights that will only show the successful ones or those that came close.

TAA is one of their main set-piece taker corners and free-kicks, this is where a lot of his assist numbers have come from. He's a very good crosser of the ball, but he takes over double the number of crosses Aurier dose.

The way LFC play however allows them to counter-press those defended, miss-hit, over hit, under-hit, blocked crosses, it's part of their game plan. They look to win the 2nd ball or press the oppo defender defending the cross, rushing their clearance so they increase the chance of winning it high up the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom