Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch may be magic but he's not a miracle man. Is a pre season really gonna make such a difference when this dude played enough games and training days this season to find his way.

Exactly.
This generic point that "players can improve under Poch, only give them time" mantra is getting bit over simplistic. Sure, some players have significantly improved under his hand, but there have been even more of those who start off bad, remain bad and will be moved on.

At least to me Aurier has proven again and again that he does not have basic decision making skills needed. All gifted penalties, red card... that is too much for his playing time already. And on top of that so often he offers absolutely nothing going forward as well. I've had it with him. He cost us 2 points today with a stupid foul that will be penalty every day of the week (don't get me wrong, not aggressive or reckless, just stupid and clumsy).

Poch may be magic but he's not a miracle man. Is a pre season really gonna make such a difference when this dude played enough games and training days this season to find his way.
Yes, he's had a number of games already to play in, but he's had no real consistency with the squad. I'm not saying he's had a real justification to displace Trippier as of yet, but it's difficult for anyone when they aren't getting regular time on the pitch.

He may turn a corner and turn into what everyone wants him to be, or this could be his peak. We'll find out but he's the ultimate high-risk, high-reward player we have at the moment. He does make some really good plays, but can't seem to get out of his own way at times.

It's taken him to the age of 25 to try to grasp how to take a throw in and he still ain't got it nailed.

Good luck to Poch trying to teach him anything a bit more advanced, he may possibly grasp the ' show him outside/inside ' theory of defending by the time he's 57 at his rate of learning.

Indeed. Hope I'm proved wrong but right now he scares the shit out of me. Don't want him anywhere near the semi-final. Besides his clumsiness and recklessness, he has surprised me by how poor he is going forward. I thought we had bought a guy with pace, who ran at defenders, whipped crosses in, etc, but he hasn't done any of that for us - just gets the ball, stops, balloons a cross or smashes it into the first defender. Genuinely concerned...

Still willing to give him time but I don't see any positive attributes to this guy, granted it's not easy to suddenly step in after being rotated with trippier all season, however trippier is the more consistent full back.

From what I have seen with aurier, he has pace and makes himself available to support the attack......and that's about it.

His defensive positioning is often missing, he is quick to jump in and tackle, his crossing is woeful and he struggles with throw ins

Poch has his work cut out with this guy but I think if he had a run of ten to dozen games if we would see an improvement?

There’s a player in there, I don’t want to see him starting for the rest of the season though. A full summer with Poch will do him good, I’m willing to be patient

Yes. you would...

Do Not Sell Proven World Class Premier League Right Back and replace with Unproven Cheaper Foreign Right Back
And when will people realise that when a player wants 'out' there's not much anyone can do to force them to stay, so best solution for the club is to get as much money you can for them and move on.

A lot of the criticism he's received this season has been deserved but he really didn't have that bad a game today, if it wasn't him who gave away the pen (which was incredibly harsh) I don't think you would all have the pitchforks out for him tonight.

A lot of the criticism he's received this season has been deserved but he really didn't have that bad a game today, if it wasn't him who gave away the pen (which was incredibly harsh) I don't think you would all have the pitchforks out for him tonight.
He played well tonight. There’s a lot to work with.

I’m a fan of Aurier. I think he can play well, and I really don’t look to tear his performances apart for the sake of it.

That said, he was shit tonight. Even forgetting the penalty his passing was woeful. It’s all available to watch back, so knock yourselves out. Nobody can rewatch that game and think he was good tonight.

It’s a shame because I still rate him. Sort out his maverick tendencies and he could be a real asset. Tonight he was just a liability.

Back
Top Bottom