Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lucas is great for when a game is stretched and he comes on as a sub, really good at attacking space and utilizing his pace, athletic ability. When he plays up front though or for a full 90, he can’t attack like he does as a sub. He does have a good finish on him but you don’t see it regularly because he doesn’t get into a lot of good areas.

Sessegnon just seems like a far more intelligent player for the whole 90 and one who can end up on the same wavelength to Harry and Dele. I’m not sure Ryan should take Lucas’ place for now, but he is the logical player to bring through. Replacing Lucas is paramount in the next two windows for me, and if we already have that player in house that would rule.

True. I think Mourinho compared him to Ashley Cole, which would either mean he sees him as a LB or a piece of shit. He may have played so well yesterday that Mourinho would consider him as good enough
In regards to the Cole comparisons he said that Ryan could be the next Ashley Cole if he develops the defensive workrate and understanding. But that right now he sees him as solely a attacker.

Would like to see him at Lb with Foyth at Rb and Foyth staying back and Sess doing the Aurier attacking position but on the left for a change.

I'm pretty sure he'll be a left back eventually, for Spurs and England, a potentially world class one. He can be a very good option going forward because he's just a fundamentally very good footballer, but his skillset is better suited to full back once he's mastered the position.

Oh, I absolutely LOVED his display... just loved it!!!

- Demonstrated demonic pace (most likely partly result of quick thinking)
- What an awareness to be in exact right place
- And what a venomous hit
- Also was really efficient and decisive while tracking back
- Whenever he was in posession and surrounded with Bayern players, was always aware where teammates were and how to find them!

Just oozed quality.
Against one of the strongest side in Europe.
Guess that is all you need to know.

Of course I am not saying that he would be readymade superstar nor nailed down starter from now on. But he really showed so much promise. SO much more than Lo Celso for example.

I really believe that within few months Ryan will be ahead of Lucas in the pecking order for most important of the games. Has similar pace, but offers everything else as well.

Secretly hoping to see him start against Wolves (though unlikely).

Switch Son and Sess

No he is a left sided player and should be first choice there every game. Play players where they are most natural, square pegs and round holes. Look at Dele has been horse shit for the most part of 2 season, put him back where he players best and look what happens.

No he is a left sided player and should be first choice there every game. Play players where they are most natural, square pegs and round holes. Look at Dele has been horse shit for the most part of 2 season, put him back where he players best and look what happens.

I dont fully agree and dont fully disagree.

I think when we play more asymmetrical game regarding fullbacks (with LB providing defensive cover and RB bombing forward) we can easily replicate it higher upfield as well. I am actually not certain that Son benefits nor enjoys playing wider on the wing on right (where he has to play when fullback sits deep). His qualities are better used closer to center where he can dribble and shoot. On the right he does not have to be so wide as Aurier is keeping flank open.

So in long term moving forward, I find it very reasonable to use Son on right and Sess on left. And they can ofc switch during the game to confuse defenders.

Son uses both feet and doesn't really have a best position on wing IMO it's more about his chemistry with the fullbacks on the side he is playing on. I think he used to play more on the right in Germany, actually started out as a striker in HSV but moved out to the right side. Not quite like playing Dele out of position.

Edit: Actually it seems Son did move to the left primarily in Leverkusen. But still I think he's versatile enough to play on both sides seeing as he's both footed anyways and is equally comfortable crossing or cutting inside with either foot.

Last edited:
Sessegnon should start ahead of Moura. Seems like the real deal imo.
If we are playing inverted wingers I’d love for Sess to have a run on the right - but as others have said he is pretty handy at crossing too but not sure I would want to displace Sonny. In the future when we are more settled he could be the Aurier role but on the left so adds a lot to our squad.

All we need now is a decent striker to get on the end of them.
:mourglasses::kanegoal:

Back
Top Bottom