Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What makes Kompany better than him in that scenario?
Kompany transformed a team to an entirely different way of playing and stormed to a wire-to-wire Championship title with less resources than some of his competitors, after having impressed and improved the form of Anderlecht. And he's a relatively lightly qualified candidate relative to some others on the list.

Mason is a babysitter.

No knock on Ryan but he would probably have to go the Justin Edinburgh route ... do well with a good non-league team, then on to League Two, League One.
I think Mason has been around coaching at high-level football enough that he'd be in the frame for Championship or League One type jobs. Select the right one and perform well and that could be a rocket ship for him.

Edinburgh was a player-manager in the non-league world, that's how he got going, that's really just kind of a whole different universe.

Mason is right in the position Carrick was when he left for Boro really. That's the next step.

Nah, they do. The militaristic style of Mourinho and Conte is what has brought them to this point. They are all too nervous, terrified to make a mistake and don’t enjoy being on the grass. It’s obvious to anyone watching that the players don’t enjoy playing football, the pressure is too much. Conte was right about that.

These soft lads need an arm around the shoulder, relax and enjoy the game. Similar to what OGS did when he took over from Mourinho. Of course long term we need to completely rebuild the sporting culture of the club but right now the players need to let off steam. Just release the handbrake and let them play.

Of course a proper team shouldn’t need to treat their players like frightened children but that’s where we are. We don’t have a strong team.

So a few games with Ryan and Redknapp assisting would help surely?

It's emotional blackmail by Levy.

We are sympathetic because he came through our youth team and suffered a horrible head injury.

That's literally it. He hasn't done a single thing to suggest he knows how to coach.

And he’s also got a Burnley board that have his name on a contract for the next three(?) years that don’t want to let him go.
Football managerial contracts mean next to nothing. If a manager wants to leave, he leaves. Name me a manager that was kept at a club against his will? The only thing 'contracts' effect is the amount paid to break/cancel them.

That’s fair
He'd also make a stronger case for himself if he suddenly revolutionized our tactics and we looked like a whole different team, but as a caretaker manager with 6 games to go that would be a crazy and irresponsible thing to do that would probably end in disaster (see Sunday), so he has instead set about the job he was hired for, sensibly retained some of the Italians and will likely just try to have us play Conte football with a bit more intent about us.

He needs to get his hands on his own team to show what he has as a manager.

Following the appointment of Ryan Mason as Acting Head Coach, we can now confirm Ryan's coaching staff.

Ryan will be joined by our former Academy player and coach Matt Wells (Acting Assistant Head Coach) and current Academy coach Nigel Gibbs (Acting First Team Coach), alongside Perry Suckling (First Team Goalkeeping Coach) and Gianni Vio (Set Pieces Coach), who continue their existing roles.

Matt Wells is grandson of Cliff Jones - a couple of years ago possibly the most capable coach for Spurs u18's (over 80% win rate) we have had recently before going to Fulham briefly and the to act as Assistant Head Coach to Scott Parker at Bournemouth and Club Brugges

Glad we kept the set piece coach. Hes the only coach who has worked for his money.

That's not what we are about is it? Giving each-other shit!
Lets get together and support a real Tottenham guy who obviously really cares about the team and club!

You’re wasting your breath with this cunt mate

Animated GIF

I do find it funny that I got more disagrees (not complaining about them just making a point) because I had the audacity to suggest that Mason may be a real candidate if he does well in the games he manages. If I put a candidate forward that had played in a PL academy, and then went on to play in 70 PL matches, served as the head of academy coaching of a PL team, and coached under Conte and Mourinho, most people would say he's worth a look. But instead all anyone wants to say is "Mason's Mates". He's given his entire life to Spurs. I highly doubt he'd use players that he didn't think would give the team the best chance to win.
If he drops Dier/Hoyberg , then automatically he should be considered as the front runner. It would show he has the balls and the personality to be his own man and ability to see what has been going wrong. But if he is going to play his mates just because he knows them well, then no one wants to see "Mason's Mates Part deux"

Back
Top Bottom