Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I do find it funny that I got more disagrees (not complaining about them just making a point) because I had the audacity to suggest that Mason may be a real candidate if he does well in the games he manages. If I put a candidate forward that had played in a PL academy, and then went on to play in 70 PL matches, served as the head of academy coaching of a PL team, and coached under Conte and Mourinho, most people would say he's worth a look. But instead all anyone wants to say is "Mason's Mates". He's given his entire life to Spurs. I highly doubt he'd use players that he didn't think would give the team the best chance to win.
He isn't a candidate for the job mate. He needs to go away and manage a club in the football league or championship. He's a novice and we are the 8th or 9th biggest club financially on plant earth. I have lots of respect for the lad but that Levy hD hidden behind a bloke with less than twenty games in charge TWICE is shameful and shows the depths to which we have sunk.

I do find it funny that I got more disagrees (not complaining about them just making a point) because I had the audacity to suggest that Mason may be a real candidate if he does well in the games he manages. If I put a candidate forward that had played in a PL academy, and then went on to play in 70 PL matches, served as the head of academy coaching of a PL team, and coached under Conte and Mourinho, most people would say he's worth a look. But instead all anyone wants to say is "Mason's Mates". He's given his entire life to Spurs. I highly doubt he'd use players that he didn't think would give the team the best chance to win.

He might just surprise us all so any alleged fan continuing to jeer ‘Mason’s mates’ or posting that Harry Kane is in charge can do one imv

I think Sunday showed for all to see we don't have the CBs to play 4atb. Dier, Davies and Lenglet all can't play CB in a back 4, Romero is the only one with a solid track record of playing well in a back 4 with Argentina.

And Romero hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory recently!

A tick in the Pochettino box is supposed to be his love for Spurs, but Poch is about to sign for Chelsea and Mase genuinely does love Spurs.

He isn't a candidate for the job mate. He needs to go away and manage a club in the football league or championship. He's a novice and we are the 8th or 9th biggest club financially on plant earth. I have lots of respect for the lad but that Levy hD hidden behind a bloke with less than twenty games in charge TWICE is shameful and shows the depths to which we have sunk.
I'm not saying he currently is. But lets just say he wins 6 of 8. Is he not a candidate at that point? What makes Kompany better than him in that scenario?

He doesn’t remotely have the credentials to be manager of Spurs. Jose and Conte play precisely the kind of football we want to avoid, why would we hire him based on learning from them?

The fact he loves Spurs is not a good reason to appoint him. People will point to Arteta but he went elsewhere for years and learned from Pep. And even then there was a huge learning curve. And he was a genuine #2 for those years too, unlike Mason.

The likelihood of Mason, a total novice, being ready to take on this shitshow is incredibly low. Why you’re so keen on it I have no idea, it seems purely based on blind romanticism.

I'm not saying he currently is. But lets just say he wins 6 of 8. Is he not a candidate at that point? What makes Kompany better than him in that scenario?
The Burnley story is pretty impressive.
They pushed the entire first team out the door after relegation then won the Championship at a stroll with a squad that had about a month to gel into a team playing a totally different type of football from the previous lot.
Fair play to Kompany for that.

Not the best comparison

Kompany took a long ball side considered a hard working brexit team and has proven he can change the whole ethos to a hard working pressing team that aims to play good football within less than a year and potentially have them finish as one of the best Championship teams of all time.

I have no issues with Mason. I actually felt he done a good job when he took over as interim last time and I think he should have been given it when Conte left. But he has no chance of being our new boss in my opinion. He should be looking at doing what the likes of Kompany have done and go to a Championship team and show us that he does have an ethos and a philosophy with a set of principles in place that his teams will be known for and see how he does.

I'll tell you why, Kompany rebuilt an anti football side and turned them in to a beautiful football team in a couple of windows. He will have overseen a full campaign and met his objective. Ryan winning 6 games does not equal this. It would be impressive but it would be classic new manager bounce and possibly not indicative of anything else.It might not but that's not a risk at this moment we can take.

Kompany was a born leader & captain and immediately went on to manage Anderlecht. He’s then won a tough league with Burnley across an entire season playing Pepball.

He’s much more qualified than Mason. And even then I’d say Kompany would be a colossal bloody risk, but at least we have evidence of his football philosophy and he’s got gravitas.

Ryan would never get the kind of chance Kompany got because he doesn't have the same playing career. Kompany came in at a high level like Gerrard and Lampard off the back of his reputation as a player.

No knock on Ryan but he would probably have to go the Justin Edinburgh route ... do well with a good non-league team, then on to League Two, League One.

Quick, someone photoshop Nagelsmann in at the end of that bench.

H8lMQXs.jpg

:adeninja:

Ryan would never get the kind of chance Kompany got because he doesn't have the same playing career. Kompany came in at a high level like Gerrard and Lampard off the back of his reputation as a player.

No knock on Ryan but he would probably have to go the Justin Edinburgh route ... do well with a good non-league team, then on to League Two, League One.
Or replicate Carrick by sticking around Spurs first team for a few more years as the incumbent interim. And basically step in whenever required and build himself a reputation that way.

Then again, Carrick had a completely different career from Mason.

Keiran McKenna had less of a playing career and got a good gig at Ipswich in Div 1 and is doing brilliantly. I think Mason could and should get a div 1or 2 job.

Back
Top Bottom