Romelu Lukaku

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd love to see him at the Lane - but with Everton looking more likely to snatch 4th, and Martinez having earned the trust of their board - I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to gather up the cash to buy him permanently. Let's be honest, why would he pick Spurs over Everton where he's already happy when they're also doing better!

I would imagine no decision would be made until we find out where Everton finish..
If they finish 4th then I would expect he would want to stay with Everton.
Everton are not prolific spenders but if they got 4th then the purse strings might be loosened, if they finish 5th then Lukaku may be a few million too far for them.

I would imagine no decision would be made until we find out where Everton finish..
If they finish 4th then I would expect he would want to stay with Everton.
Everton are not prolific spenders but if they got 4th then the purse strings might be loosened, if they finish 5th then Lukaku may be a few million too far for them.

Honestly I doubt even with CL qualification (only confirmed after the play off in August leaving a few days of the window) Everton could afford him. Chelsea are supposedly asking £25m, iirc thats £10m over their transfer record. As a rule they dont have a pot to piss in so I highly doubt they will suddenly start throwing £20m+ on transfers.

Still think the right manager can get Soldado back on form but if he goes I'd prefer Benteke over Lukaku.

I really like Soldado, but I think Id be happier with him being moved on.
To get the best of him we need to build the team to suit him, and at 28 (29?) and still not showing signs he can cut it here I dont like the sound of that.

Lukaku, on the other hand, is a more robust and proven player (here).

Benteke? Id be delighted with him as well. Id probably prefer him to Lukaku in a straight choice, but Id be very happy with either.

Anyone else see Mourinho's comments on his strikers after the game last night? As if they'd sell their best striker to us of all teams lol.

Fairly clear that Mourinho doesn't rate him seeing as he chose Ba, Torres and an aging Eto'o over him

Think Lukaku has burnt his bridges with Mourinho. Saying that, Chelasa would probably rather keep him and let him rot in the reserves than sell him to us.

I think Mourinho is on a hardcore major squad revamp and trophy hunting mission next season, seeing that two potential trophies this season had almost turned into zero trophies in one week.

A lot of deadweights at Chelsea to be removed, a lot of quality/expensive players to be brought in during the summer. And if the sale of Lukaku can finance the likes of Diego Costa, so be it. Though it is uncertain whether they will want to sell to us after the Modric incident.

Lukaku is a quality player who can easily be our first-team striker. He's like a mini Drogba. Feed good crosses to him and he will do good in the box. That said, he is still rough at the edges, we need a manager who's not a total nincompoop to bring out the best in him.

It's a statistic though, isn't it.

It's misleading to compare Soldado to anyone in a negative way considering the environment he's been subjected to this season on and off pitch (including two tactically inept managers playing him out of position).

If people can 'fairly' slate the guy for not scoring, surely we can also 'fairly' praise him for scoring, regardless of what the goals were and who against.

Soldado could be an entirely different player next season I have no idea but even with two tactically inept coaches he's missed at least a dozen chances that strikers dream of.

Ultimately though I think the biggest thing working against him is age. He's the one signing who really needed to hit the ground running. With all the other ones we can afford to wait but with Soldado I'm not surprised the club is getting cold feet and trying find a young striker.

I hope he really gets on a tear here though. Seems like a lovely man. I think he might ultimately be best suited as a backup striker though. Maybe it's just my personal preference but if we're going to play one up top I want him to be a real physical unit.

Call me old fashioned, a prick even, but I don't want any Chelsea slags playing at WHL

We had Gallas, he played for both...

Glenn Hoddle, Micky Hazard, Clive Allen

Then there's also...

Scotty P
David Copeland
Carlo Cudicini
Jason Cundy
Kerry Dixon
Gordon Durie
Mark Falco
Jimmy Greaves
Frode Grodas
Eidur Gudjohnsen

Considering Lukaku has only played 10 times for them, it's not an issue for me even slightly

Hoddle hazard and Allen don't count. Greaves was a genius. Like the way you hid him amongst the shit.

The rest were dreadful bar a season off Parker. Why do we want another reject from them. Why would they let him go if their strike force is so bad?
We can't generalise, all the players have different talent levels. Liverpool took a risk on Sturridge after being a chelsea reject, I like Lukaku, as a 20 y/o he still needs to learn but in noway do I want Soldado as my lone striker next season.

We can't generalise, all the players have different talent levels. Liverpool took a risk on Sturridge after being a chelsea reject, I like Lukaku, as a 20 y/o he still needs to learn but in noway do I want Soldado as my lone striker next season.

I think people struggle (including the managers) to see that Soldado isn't a lone striker (nor suited to that role) and so he's crap like that. We're crap like that too. 2 up top is needed. What we need is a Bony/Lukaku type player to be threading in shots and Soldado to be the 6 yard vulture. A good pre-season, a decent coaching staff and a few tweaks is all we need

We should be looking to either spend £20m on 3 good match day squad players or £30m on 2 marquee signings.

Sorry but I completely disagree, that's exactly what we've done over the last 10 or more years and it's a terrible approach that just leads to masses of dead wood and large clear outs every summer.

We shouldn't be buying 'squad players' at all, we have great cover in defence (Tripper, Davies, Wimmer, CCV) and good options in the two in front of them (Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Dier).

If we want to progress we need to bring in someone who is good enough to replace Eriksen, Dele or Lamela (or even Kane as our front 4 are very fluid) and effectively make one of them the 'squad player'. That will put pressure on everyone to perform every game as they know if they give 75% one game they'll be warming the bench for a run of games.

Sadly to do that we'll have to spend more than £30M in the current market. We really don't want to upset squad harmony by signing 3 players who might each get 8/10 games a season. The good news is one special signing could elevate us to serious contenders. I'm not saying it should be Lukaku necessarily (though I think he could work).

Another brilliant piece of marketing by Mino Raiola. No-one has ever spoken about Lukaku in these terms ever before, now he has been on the back pages, Radio and TV every day for two weeks and spoken as one of the worlds greatest strikers, WHAT??

He is good, he is young and has great physical presence.

His game however is not well suited to ours. For us he might be a good option off the bench for the final 20mins, as a loan striker outlet that can still be a threat and may require a team to put two men on him.

Buying 2 guys for 25 million each in other roles would be much smarter. We can't afford 50 million on one player, and even if we could, couldn't get the players actually worth that.

Lukaku or not, equally we need to be smarter than that.... In today's market that's only likely to tend to our bench without much net improvement.

Sissoko, Bolassie, Zaha, Lingard... Thats about the level... Not gonna bring the bench quality up nor challenge any as of now unchallenged places in the 1st XI.

Go after specific targets based on the individual not a vague profile... Bid early, make them feel wanted and an integral part of the project and if they don't bite move on.

Not claiming it to be easy, but we need to be brave AND smart.

Similarly, not saying we shouldn't have a punt on a few cheaper young prospects,like GKN or whoever but not at the expense of essential recruitment.

Already said elsewhere this next window is huuuuge.... Wembley will kill our season if we have recruited late and/or poorly.... More than ever, we need early momentum and stronger depth to cover injuries, loss of form and to be able to suitably rotate for Europe and Cups.

Back
Top Bottom